I am a rational person, I tend to only believe in what I can see as much as I would love the world to be more fantastic it sadly isn't.

Saying that I often find myself planning what to do in the event of the Zombie uprising. In 2046. On March 31st. At 2.03 pm

Plans for this are based on a few set guidelines.

1) Any plan I have is based on slow shambling Zombies. I fully accept if they are fast running Zombies, I am one of them. Although slow they have exceptional hearing and smell.

2) We all know that in a zombie scenario the military is useless with Shawn of the Dead being the exception that proves the rule.

So military installations are expected to be destroyed or just overrun.

3) Through whatever method has spread, roughly 90% of humanity is gone.

4) Basic infrastructure is gone. Electricity running water etc.

5) My one kindness in this scenario, you and fellow survivors are immune. 1 bite will not kill you. If a survivor dies they will come back.

6) You did not know this was coming and have not had time to prepare. you were as surprised as the army, you have just lucked it this far.

7) you need to survive for 6 months. After that the zombies are gone. Cure, starvation or act of god you choose.

OK rules done. Lets here your plans. I will post mine as well but that's enough text for now

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

Now many of you will have an advantage over me as I am in Scotland a country with very few firearms.

This limits me to melee weaponry only.

Weapon of choice: Spade.

Reason: Solid weapon, useful tool if needed. During the trench warfare of the great war they were used as weapons of desperation till people realised that when swinging them people tended to get decapitated, it then became a deliberate weapon.

Location is something that I always change my mind on, My Flat would be a death-trap I accept this.

I live in Stirling very near the city centre. Stirling is a small city but it does have a castle which has plenty of food in it due to the tourism trade however it is too easily defended if I can get the doors closed so I consider it a cheat for this exercise thus consider it overrun.

Wallace monument would also be very easy to defend its remote hard to access on foot. Deciding to go there would be silly as I would die of exposure or starvation. No food source and it is freezing there.

So go the Romero classic and head to the shopping centre/mall? Too many entrances impossible to know its safe however I could secure 1 of the shops inside it, preferably one with food then and scavenge during the day for essentials.

But I will go to a small farm near where I love that is covered on 3 sides by river. Sadly I will have to kill the zombie farmer. Location gives me most of the essentials I need secure location ample supplies and equipment also a fair degree of comfort. Bonus there will likely be a generator.

Plan barricade the farm and hide at night, swing at lone roamers during the day. If due to my actions I get swarmed I need to have a piece of farm equipment ready to go. Combine harvester to the rescue. If that fails then well I'm gone and I'm coming for you.

If it is a fast zombie scenario then I will hang around old folks homes. If I'm gonna be a zombie my food wont be able to outrun me.

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

My big plan is to hang out in doorways and closets, hoping to ambush and eat the living. Having a good ambush spot is very important or else you might get shot.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

...bein' from a small Canadian coastal province, we gots low population, lots o' weapons thanks to multiple military bases (includin' the largest Navy base in Canada), an', at 6'7" 235lbs, I's gonna 'ave a shyteload o' fun 'afore they finally takes me down...then I's gonna 'ave a shyteload more fun 'til I's finally wormfood... :yes:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I have to be honest. If there's no running water, I'm fubar'd. Well, I live near a bay, but that's salt water. Mostly swampy, grassy salt water in terms of what's closeish to the homestead. I don't think what's in the water heater and toilet tank would last 6 months. :ninja:

If I thought I had a chance of making it (since they're slow zombies), I'd go for the local hills towards the coastline. Less population and would probably take the zombies a little while to get up there. Might be able to bounce from wooded cabin to wooded cabin, working our way to the coastal farms on the other side of the hills and survive that way.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

As long as my wife is alive, I'll kill all zombies I meet. On the other hand, if my wife's a zombie, I'll just let her zombify me. I'm only 6'2", but I've got an extra foot on Sarge in terms of meanness. As long as I'm keeping the ol' lady alive, I'll be the meanest mother ****er in the valley. In times of great need, I *can* turn off my inclination to plya the nice guy.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If you were a rational person you'd know the concept of the undead is physically impossible as it violates both simple Newtonian physics and the laws of Thermodynamics. Even so, it is fun to imagine yourself succeeding when most everyone else fails. A simple life. No work, no boss, no responsibilities beyond evading the swarms of undead. Very idyllic.

Edited by AGX-17

I guess I'd try for a supermarket to stock up food then a boat. I can't imagine people being able to get supplies and then move to a safe location unless they live really close to either though because everyone will have the same idea.

Edited by Serrano

If you were a rational person you'd know the concept of the undead is physically impossible as it violates both simple Newtonian physics and the laws of Thermodynamics. Even so, it is fun to imagine yourself succeeding when most everyone else fails. A simple life. No work, no boss, no responsibilities beyond evading the swarms of undead. Very idyllic.

I'm well aware it could never happen, merely a thought exercise.

and an excuse to put a strong bad quote in the second line

I have often thought about this and discussed it with friends, how would we survive if such a catastrophe as "Walking Dead" occurred .

One of the things I always found unrealistic about Zombie Apocalypses (apart from the obvious that Zombies aren't real) is that there more guns, weapons and bullets in the USA to wipe out the entire USA population many times over. So I can't see the military ever not being able to deal with a Zombie threat systematically and comprehensively.

Anyway back to question, we know Zombies congregate around cities. So the obvious and easiest solution is to go to remote regions like Mountains. There you could hunt, fish and try to live off the land. You only need to make trips to cities for major supplies, in South Africa we have many mountain ranges that would be ideal. A remote island would be perfect, as their probably won't be any Zombies. Ideally a cruise ship would be the perfect base, you could dock at a remote island and sleep on the ship and get shelter but use the island for fresh food. But you would need someone with survival skills as I don't think setting snares and traps is that easy :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Zombie-treadmil-defense.jpg

ok i'm adding this along with the chainsawsuit to my zombie defence wishlist

20080331.gif

20100414.png

Edited by JayDGee
  • Like 1

That pic reminds of the stupidity of somethings in the zombie/horror genre.

"I'm potentially surrounded by man eating creatures, lets wander off from the group to take a piss."

Honestly I would have no problem pissing in my pants, because I would have done so many time since the outbreak had happened.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I have often thought about this and discussed it with friends, how would we survive if such a catastrophe as "Walking Dead" occurred .

One of the things I always found unrealistic about Zombie Apocalypses (apart from the obvious that Zombies aren't real) is that there more guns, weapons and bullets in the USA to wipe out the entire USA population many times over. So I can't see the military ever not being able to deal with a Zombie threat systematically and comprehensively.

Anyway back to question, we know Zombies congregate around cities. So the obvious and easiest solution is to go to remote regions like Mountains. There you could hunt, fish and try to live off the land. You only need to make trips to cities for major supplies, in South Africa we have many mountain ranges that would be ideal. A remote island would be perfect, as their probably won't be any Zombies. Ideally a cruise ship would be the perfect base, you could dock at a remote island and sleep on the ship and get shelter but use the island for fresh food. But you would need someone with survival skills as I don't think setting snares and traps is that easy :)

Cracked had a lengthy article which summarized some very solid scientific reasons why a zombie apocalypse would fail, even if it were possible (which it isn't,) it was quite a fun read. http://www.cracked.c...il-quickly.html

Gems include this bit on biting as a method of transmission: "Hey, remember that time when that dog got rabies, and then a day later, every single other dog on the continent had it, except for a small band of survivors huddled in a basement? No? That never happened?"

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

Cracked had a lengthy article which summarized some very solid scientific reasons why a zombie apocalypse would fail, even if it were possible (which it isn't,) it was quite a fun read. http://www.cracked.c...il-quickly.html

Gems include this bit on biting as a method of transmission: "Hey, remember that time when that dog got rabies, and then a day later, every single other dog on the continent had it, except for a small band of survivors huddled in a basement? No? That never happened?"

your dragging all the fun out of it. we know they're not real we know it wont happen. Its a game.

your dragging all the fun out of it. we know they're not real we know it wont happen. Its a game.

If you'd read the article you'd know I just injected a lot of fun into it. The article presupposes that a zombie apocalypse is possible and explains why the zombies would lose.

Yeah that was good and fun read, I am glad they mentioned my gun justification.

But now an apocalypse like " I am Legend" , that could conceivably wipe out a continent.

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If you'd read the article you'd know I just injected a lot of fun into it. The article presupposes that a zombie apocalypse is possible and explains why the zombies would lose.

ok all is forgiven :p actually I have read that before. Need to remember and make my girlfriend read it, she has nightmares about zombies a lot since watching the walking dead.