tension that wakes up the player

Personally I think ice wind dale had the most fun combat out of all the infinity engine games. One thing I liked about the game was the yaun ti dungeon where you couldn't rest your party unless you decided to do a lot of backtracking. Not only that but the dungeon was hard every room was filled with enemies and traps that can potentially kill your party. The whole dungeon crawl there felt like some snake skin bastard had a knife to your throat and their is unique thrill and enjoyment to be found in that.

I agree that was an awesome dungeon - I had an epic battle there with the leader and his lieutenants that started to go bad early on and my party started falling like flies as we neared the end there were several lieutenants left with various degrees of health left facing only my rogue and he ran and hid and stealthed and backstabbed his way to eventually kill them all.

That wasn't the most epic part tho - it was having him gather up all their gear and stash it in a chest only being able to carry a bit of basic armor and a weapon for each of his partners which he trudged back to town with and spent almost their entire hoard of gold raising them all from the dead to don their meager gear and go back and collect the rest... :yes:

Some people may think that having them just pop back to life and being able to carry on in seconds is preferable but I have never forgotten that scenario and the satisfaction that came from getting through it and carrying on. Thats the kind of involvement in a story that I miss in todays games were everything has to be done for the convienience of the player.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...