What are you playing now - the plays the thing

LadyCrimson

Bought The Witcher 2, I like the story but the mechanics are annoying me endlessly.. I find moving and fighting to be very clusmy and on top of that I die all the time on hard, but normal is a total cakewalk.. So close to being a good game, but right now it's more frustrating than fun.

Fortune favors the bald.

That's fine, but I don't quite understand why they couldn't make their own assets.

Just feels like a re-release with couple little improvements. Wouldn't have minded a real overhaul.

Mostly manpower, as well as a desire to stay mostly true to the original.

I also heard there's an issue that the original artwork resources that were used to make the final 2D images don't exist anymore unfortunately, which means changing any of the background art would be pretty close to impossible with their team.

Bought The Witcher 2, I like the story but the mechanics are annoying me endlessly.

This is my hang up with the original. I still want to play it, but I have a feeling I'll be switching to "easy mode" and just experiencing the story. The combat was not at all enjoyable IMO.

Edited by alanschu

I still want to play it, but I have a feeling I'll be switching to "easy mode" and just experiencing the story. The combat was not at all enjoyable IMO.

The original or The Witcher 2? Both have bad combat, imo, but for fairly different reasons. The second is definitely a lot more enjoyable and involved though, although the difficulty curve follows a Gothic-like progression where at the beginning you get repeatedly beaten up and brutally murdered, and by the end even the final boss is a breeze.

*shurg* who knows

I DO :p, I won't break NDA though :-

Just tell us, we do not tell that to anybody outside of these forums :p

AAAAAnyway, 10 hours into Resonance of Fate, just finished the chapter 3, the combat system is pretty amazing and bosses hard as hell if you make a mistake in executing Tri-Attacks on them and their minions...

I like that :p

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I still want to play it, but I have a feeling I'll be switching to "easy mode" and just experiencing the story. The combat was not at all enjoyable IMO.

The original or The Witcher 2? Both have bad combat, imo, but for fairly different reasons. The second is definitely a lot more enjoyable and involved though, although the difficulty curve follows a Gothic-like progression where at the beginning you get repeatedly beaten up and brutally murdered, and by the end even the final boss is a breeze.

I haven't played the second at all yet (though I do own it) since I want to finish the first.

Well I just finished a character in Arcanum, I think I may reinstall NWN2 or KOTOR2 and play those.

On TW2, mechanics are definitely the weaker aspects of that game.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I finished the Walking Dead episode 1 and started episode 2 last night. Got to the part where I had the option to chop the dude's leg off, and decided to hold off on that. I'm off to do the second episode now.

Assassin's Creed III. I'm still in the prologue...

I seriously don't understand why the game was built this way. It's not offensive, it's just boring. Haythem gets no upgrades, one side mission that I don't even know if I can actually complete yet, no customization (does Conner get customization like Ezio had?). I'm just running around as a guy who is way overdressed for hiding in bushes. At least he gets a cast, but only two of them are worth remembering the names of.

You can upgrade Haythem's weapons, you can complete the side mission(s), and those cast members will be important to Conner later on. Also, if you want side mission... yeah. This game will give bury you in side missions. Conner also gets his own upgradable HQ later on.

That said, you're right. The beginning is boring. I think they wanted to explain how a native american could be the descendent of Altiar because they think their audience is stupid.

I haven't played the second at all yet (though I do own it) since I want to finish the first.

I never finished the original Witcher but I was never lost during the Witcher 2.

If you ever find the original boring or unenjoyable, feel free to chuck it and move on. The second is much better.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Finished the first chapter of the Walking Dead. It's quite good.

Now imagine that whole experience with Morrigan following you around ;)

Wow.

But if Morrigan were following me, she would have given me the option to kill Lee. It would be worth it.

I am currently installing Sleeping Dogs, so I'll be playing that next.

Good pick!

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Hope you get decent hours for the price, heh. Was fun but kind of brief for me.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If you ever find the original boring or unenjoyable, feel free to chuck it and move on. The second is much better.

It's also worth noting that the plot from the original Witcher and the save file you carry over don't really impact the sequel at all..Only a couple of conversations mention your choices in Witcher 1 and are only mentioned in passing. In fact some of the major choices you may have made in the last game will be retconned in Witcher 2.

Edited by Serrano

Generally I am not very good at FPS. I tend to die a lot so the games do take me a longer to finish :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Generally I am not very good at FPS. I tend to die a lot so the games do take me a longer to finish :)

Sleeping Dogs is not a FPS. It's a 3rd person open world game with beat'um up, shooter, racing, and other forms of gameplay. The main quest line might be short, but a lot of these games are designed to just explore and do the racing and fighting challenges, and of course go on rampages.

Sleeping Dogs is not a FPS. It's a 3rd person open world game with beat'um up, shooter, racing, and other forms of gameplay. The main quest line might be short, but a lot of these games are designed to just explore and do the racing and fighting challenges, and of course go on rampages.

Okay, well I like exploring so that should suit me fine :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm sure they would provide through all the possible outlets, if they had the choice. Fact is, they don't, so choosing the one where they don't have to give away a slice of the pie makes most sense. I'm buying three copies, anyway (pc, mac and ios).

Yeah...I wasn't blaming them or anything. I'm just an old grump who doesn't like to have 100000 half-remembered accounts everywhere on the internet (especially just for buying one thing then never going back etc), and the more time goes on and the less retail-store oriented the world becomes, the more I feel like I have to do that. Or stop buying things. ;)

It does? Because I just watched the first

of it, and I'm having trouble to see any difference. Okay, light effects are better but that's it.

The widescreen/higher res mod I was using has some weird little UI quirks about it, in order to display it as such. Especially in the menus. I dunno....I just liked the way it looked, overall, a little better. It's nothing dramatic.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you endure the first sections of the game, The Witcher 1 becomes fairly easy later. The combat is never really varied enough to become interesting imo, though, and there are parts of the title that are fairly combat heavy, so ultimately it's up to you.

The Witcher 2 is generally a much better game (although less of a PC game, though that's really only a problem if you're interested in that) though, so I'd recommend you to pick it up eventually.

I really regret installing A World Of Pain on New Vegas now. I started a new character since I'm almost finished replaying the game with my traditional "Cyborg cowboy", and the guy who made AWOP decided that limiting the hard-as-balls difficulty of his mod to the mod's own dungeons was no fun, and that New Vegas was desperately in need of something to completely destroy any balance in the early game by making the early enemies just as tough as the Marked Men from the Divide.

As if Jsawyer's mod didn't make the early game hard enough for a RobCo Certified Mad Scientist overly dependant on his robotic minions to protect him while he does his complicated sciencey business with his amazing science machines.

Maybe it's time I took a short Mentat break and played through that one Steven Spielburg movie they were too lazy to make into a movie The Dig.

Edited by Yes Man

"Well, there's many things they have forgotten sitting in their bowls. Friendship. The thrill of discovery. Love. Masturbation. The usual." -Dr. Mobius

I finished Twitcher 2 on a crappy computer that could barely run it on 20 fps on lowest settings, but after I had gotten a peecee that could max it out I uninstalled it after half an hour when I tried to replay it.

That was before enhanced edition and patches, though, did they fix the terrible combat and useless alchemy?

Edited by Drudanae

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I wanted to play the Witcher 2 but my PC can't run it decently and all my friends said it wasn't as interesting as the first one.

Plus, I think Persona 3 and FFXII were the final nails in the coffin of my experience with the RPG genre. I feel like screaming at the prospect of an hour or more of boring fights before the next story morsel, of spending 30+ hours grinding and 5-10 hours experiencing the story (which is likely to be on the level of an average hollywood movie at best).

Really, its no wonder the genre is practically dead.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I wanted to play the Witcher 2 but my PC can't run it decently and all my friends said it wasn't as interesting as the first one.

Thats a pity. I preferred it to the first one. I found the decisions in W2 to be much more thought provoking and serious

John Milton 

I had to rush towards the end, skipping sidequests in the last part of the game or I would probably stopped altogether. I think it's a good game, but has it's share of bad. Still would recommend to try it when you can.

Been playing Planetside 2 and having fun with it. Though it's my first MMOFPS and it shows :p

I finished Twitcher 2 on a crappy computer that could barely run it on 20 fps on lowest settings, but after I had gotten a peecee that could max it out I uninstalled it after half an hour when I tried to replay it.

That was before enhanced edition and patches, though, did they fix the terrible combat and useless alchemy?

Mostly it's just retuned the difficulty curve, the early game fights are significantly easier now while there's not much difference later in the game. No idea about alchemy however.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Mostly it's just retuned the difficulty curve, the early game fights are significantly easier now while there's not much difference later in the game. No idea about alchemy however.

Alchemy didn't change in major way.

Last I checked there were some rebalancing mods out but they couldn't fix over-reliance on dodging or the ghost battle in chapter 2.

Some of those quick time events in Witcher 2 are killing me, I've been seeing red the last 5 minutes.. The keys just wouldn't respond and I kept being beaten to death.. grr! This is getting close to that god awful race in Mafia 1. You know what..

30419692.jpg

I think I'm gonna play SWTOR, it's free anyway..

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.