Obsidian's front page survey

They talk a lot about making PE have the combat of Icewind Dale, and exploration & story of Baldur's Gate...

Baldur's Gate had the exact same combat as Icewind Dale, in BG combat was just more story focused rather than battle your way through these five dungeons to get your next objective.

Personally, I would hate to see combat as it was done in IWD. It wasn't exciting, it threw in more battles just to make the game longer. Clean out the goblins in every cellar? WTF? I want the mechanics of IE battle, but in IWD it was used as a cheap way of making the game longer than its story. Yes, the IWD series had some truly awesome encounters, but so did BG. Just not all the time.

I suppose the mega dungeon offers a great opportunity for exploration, combat, and exciting encounters... but I'd prefer it to be done in an Underdark/Watcher's Keep kind of fashion, rather than anything from IWD.

Personal preferences, I guess.

Edited by mstark
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

The poll offers a pretty narrow and limited overview as it is stated, sadly.

I'm willing to bet Baldur's Gate is first right now because it offers the most complete package, though each and every elements that compose it, taken on their own, would probably be deemed inferior by many - if not most - when compared with other games from the list. It doesn't have the best combat, user interface, dungeons, gaming implementations of narrative elements, script, or writing, but it does everything well enough and it does *all of it* well enough.

My personal favorite dream version of P:E would probably be at the intersection of ToEE, P:T and IWD2 more than Baldur's Gate 2 taken on its own. But s a finished product, Baldur's Gate is probably the closest to what I hope P:E will be.

If I make sense.

• Like 1

I play games purely for the story...a well implemented band of companions with solid stories and interactions are a great addition to that. Other things like gameplay and loot and such I also enjoy but not in the way that people who play for those things do. For example, the more overpowered my character is the more I enjoy the gameplay, I'm all for feeling omnipotent and invincible and godlike....which is not to say I can't handle insane difficulties(I can and have) I just don't enjoy them as much.

1zq6793.jpg

I imagine that Arcanum isn't in the poll because Obsidian does not intend to make a game like Arcanum this time around. So there's no point in asking fans if we want a game like it, because they're not planning to make that game anyway. Just a hunch.

then why is COD3 in there?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I imagine that Arcanum isn't in the poll because Obsidian does not intend to make a game like Arcanum this time around. So there's no point in asking fans if we want a game like it, because they're not planning to make that game anyway. Just a hunch.

That would be Obsidian's sense of humor.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

That would be Obsidian's sense of humor.

lol, I can't believe someone actually failed to realize that. It's clearly not meant to be taken seriously. :thumbsup:

I can only imagine how horrible life must be around here for the one COD superfan that somehow got lost and wound up here somehow(and I promise you that from ~80k backers there's at least one...there's always one)....maybe even as a backer. If life has taught me one thing it's never underestimate people.....they will always surprise you in both works of greatness and depths of dumbness. :getlost:

1zq6793.jpg

With as popular as COD is, I'm betting there's a ton of fans of that game who are also excited about PE, and even backers.

The idea that PE should be "like" CoD is a pretty dramatic stretch (to put in very mildly), but I see no reason why fans of that game necessarily wouldn't be interested in this game.

Edited by Marceror

With as popular as COD is, I'm betting there's a ton of fans of that game who are also excited about PE, and even backers.

The idea that PE should be "like" CoD is a pretty dramatic stretch (to put in very mildly), but I see no reason why fans of that game necessarily wouldn't be interested in this game.

Not really.....COD is for a completely different audience than RPGs not made to accommodate them and this one certainly doesn't. The ADD shooter-spaz genre doesn't really mix with the RPG genre.....attempted mixtures result in catastrophe(see ME3 and DA2).

1zq6793.jpg

I really enjoyed Planescape: Torment, but I'd rather have the character customization and exploration of BG1 and 2. Actually, I'd really like to have the characters from BG2 and the exploration from BG1. MAKE IT SO.

Totally agree. I have the same reasoning. Icewind Dale was way to linear for my tastes even though it was a really fun game. It's a problem with a poll like this you can't really explain your choices. I hope Obs reads this thread too.

I'm thinking the COD option is just a lol, at least I hope so xD

I have been pretty appalled at some of the threads that have popped up on the forums mind, that just don't seem to understand what type of game this is. It wouldn't surprise me if there are some people who think it's going to be like Fallout New Vegas or something.

Edited by Moonlight Butterfly

Not really.....COD is for a completely different audience than RPGs not made to accommodate them and this one certainly doesn't. The ADD shooter-spaz genre doesn't really mix with the RPG genre.....attempted mixtures result in catastrophe(see ME3 and DA2).

I think you may be assuming too much here. First off, CoD does have a pretty good portion of the vote. I'm sure a good number of those votes are meant as jokes, but certainly not all of them. Not EVERYONE who plays a game like Call of Duty can be included in the the "shooter-spaz" genre. Some are folks who love playing war games, but that are "sophisticated" enough to play a more in depth RPG as well.

I happen to know some very savvy gamers who, in addition to enjoying old school RPGs, like to get together and do competitions in CoD. It's their let's drink beer and blow off steam gaming, which serves a different need for them than playing IE games or even older RPGs does. So yeah, such folk exist.

For the record, I'm not one of them. I've never played CoD personally.

Don't think I've ever encountered a game that went from so fun to so disappointing for me as did Icewind Dale 2.

And yet it was so much better than ToEE. How anyone thinks that piece of drek compares to the other games listed is beyond me. ToEE had only one thing going for it: it had the most faithful rendition of D&D combat mechanics. Other than that it was just a buggy boring PoS.

A lot of the continued longevity and love for ToEE stems from the Circle of Eight mods. Co8 has addressed so many bugs, added gameplay, and just generally allowed the game to reach much closer to its potential. It's definitely worth a look, if you like the game's design, but want to see improved stability.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I didn't really know that the modding community to over with it. It probably won't help me too much since I have the game away a few years ago.

CoD...yet another game series I've never played. I'm starting to sound like Ebert with his "movie based on a TV series that was unseen by me" mantra.

I think that so many votes for CoD just shows Obsidian's supporters get the joke and are joining in. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Actually there is a group of people that are just gamers. They play many different types of games. Life would be boring to restrict oneself to just one game genre (RPG/FPS/RTS/TBS). I personally have played the first two CoD games before they become entirely multiplayer focused. I enjoyed the MoH series of games more however. X-Wing/Tie Fighter were very good games as well (combat flight simulators to bring in another category). The Mechwarrior games were also great fun (giant robot combat simulators). I am probably one of the few who enjoyed Fallout 1 & 2 as well as Fallout: Tactics.

Outside of computer games, I have played AD&D one weekend and Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) the next. ASL is probably the the most complicated game released with maybe Star Fleet Battles a close second.

So this silly elitism is misplaced. There are fan boy in all genres and they irritate those of us who just would like to see a good entertaining game. The ultimate critique on a game is if it is worth the time spent replaying it. Most FPS games do not have as good a return as an RPG with some exceptions like Half-Life 2.

BTW, I chose Baldur's Gate on the poll as well. It had the best balance of all of the elements involved. I will probably be playing BGEE upon release (assuming it is ever released). The EE has the play of BG1 and the enhancements of BG2. As long as they don't bollix it up it will be a fun play.

• Like 1

Im not going to argue here, all these modern CoD games are trash that should never have come into existence BUT the original CoD and its expansion pack United Offensive were very very good games. They had an awesome cinematic single player which was something new at the time and a strong online community. if anyone here played it, remember the Lord of the Rings maps someone made.

I am one of those significant minority of a minority Planescape:Torment people you guys have been talking about. I liked baldurs gate 2 as well of course.

I think the poll gives the team a clear direction and it is the same they already proposed in the kickstarter-video (well with a bit less icewinddale maybe?), so that is a good thing.

If you make a joke-line in any election you will often get a lot of votes for that, that is normal. Maybe they should add such a vote to the US-presidential election as well. I am sure Boo would get a lot of votes.

Edited by Rink

If you make a joke-line in any election you will often get a lot of votes for that, that is normal. Maybe they should add such a vote to the US-presidential election as well. I am sure Boo would get a lot of votes.

I suspect at least a few of those votes may be from folks like me who never played Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale or Planescape: Torment.

In my case, I pledged because I'm a fan of the work Obsidian team members have done over the years on Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Fallout New Vegas, Neverwinter Nights 2, KOTOR 2 and Alpha Protocol. Recently bought BG1 and 2, as well as PS:T, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

I am one of those significant minority of a minority Planescape:Torment people you guys have been talking about.

Since close to 40% of the population are voting for PST in the poll, I don't think you're as much of a minority as you think! ;)

I think you may be assuming too much here. First off, CoD does have a pretty good portion of the vote. I'm sure a good number of those votes are meant as jokes, but certainly not all of them. Not EVERYONE who plays a game like Call of Duty can be included in the the "shooter-spaz" genre. Some are folks who love playing war games, but that are "sophisticated" enough to play a more in depth RPG as well.

No, they're all jokes. Even if one did love both COD and IE games (I personally love BFBC2), only a fool would actually genuinely think making an IE game like a shooter would be a good thing. Seriously dude, they're all jokes.

Planescape Torment had a great story, setting and characters - easily my #1 vote.

I loved Baldurs Gate 2 - though I was not a fan of the first one (too many little annoyances that were fixed in the sequel). It had better combat, choices as well as co-op so I could play with my friends.

I was not a fan of the Icewind Dale games - way, way, way too much of a focus on combat and not enough attention paid to story. I fought through it but damn - would not play again.

TOEE's interface was just bad and I couldn't get past that to really check it out.

My greatest hope would be for a Baldurs Gate 2 like game with a healthy dash of Planescape.

EDIT: people, COD is not bad, it's just a different genre. It is possible to like RPGs *and* FPSs

Edited by maggotheart

Personally, I would hate to see combat as it was done in IWD. It wasn't exciting, it threw in more battles just to make the game longer. Clean out the goblins in every cellar? WTF? I want the mechanics of IE battle, but in IWD it was used as a cheap way of making the game longer than its story. Yes, the IWD series had some truly awesome encounters, but so did BG. Just not all the time.

I imagine they mean the combat in Icewind Dale 2 sometimes being more tactically interesting. But I can't agree enough with the "lets throw in another battle". Before I quite Icewind Dale 2 I must have made Polar Bears extinct and killed every evil cleric to have ever existed. "Oh look, here's another room of the same enemy you've just spent five hours killing several thousand of. But MAYBE it will be challege or different this time!"

No, they're all jokes. Even if one did love both COD and IE games (I personally love BFBC2), only a fool would actually genuinely think making an IE game like a shooter would be a good thing. Seriously dude, they're all jokes.

So apparently you don't believe that there are any fools in the world? You must live in a very different world than I do.