Obsidian's front page survey

On Obsidian's front page is a "Which game do you hope Project Eternity is most like?" poll.

Now, Obsidian presumably put it there to confirm what their fans and supporters are really looking for, and the results are interesting, but not unexpected.

46% say BG or BG2 and 38% say PS:T. The other games get a far, far lower percentage. Now, this does not surprise me, but what does it really tell us...what do BG and PS:T have in common?

One key feature of those two games are the companions - interactive companions with a story, motivations and a personality - and yes - interactions with each other. Compare that to IWD where the player-created characters are, well..flat, like cardboard pieces.

The second key feature is the story. BG had a good story, and PS:T was really all about the story. The story in the other games was quite a bit weaker.

Now, considering what Obsidian has said about Project Eternity, it sounds to me that they will really be giving the majority of their fans and supporters what they are hoping for.

Put in my vote for Planescape: Torment, but I'd be very happy with the BGs, too.

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Voted for the BGs, because those are my all time favorites. But I'd like to see plenty of PST influence also. I'd also like to see the character options and control of IWD2 and ToEE, and combat mechanics on par with ToEE. If the art direction is largely inspired by IWD2, that's certainly okay too. :)

CoD, sure, how about some CoD toilet paper that I can use to clean up with after taking a bio break... following a good long play session of PE! Just send that with my Collector's Edition game.

See, I included it all! :)

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I picked Call of Duty not really as a joke, but because I've never played any of the other games. I don't have a frame of reference to form an opinion as to whether it should be more like Baldur's Gate or less like Icewind Dale, etc.

I've never played Call of Duty, either, but since it was obviously in jest, it seemed equivalent to a neutral "I have no idea" sort of response. Perhaps I should have not voted at all, but I can't help clicking on polls sometimes ;-)

I am prepared for brickbats and my shields are switched to maximum.

PS:T fans are a very vocal minority and their clamour (understandably though that might be) should be taken with a pinch of salt.

PS:T is a classic example of a cult hit, a love-it-or-hate-it kind of deal. I usually refer to it as Wordscape. Having read MCA's subsequent views on the design process, it's clear that he sees the faults himself and more credit to him. It also means that he is unlikely to make the same mistakes again.

For me it's an interactive novel with too much navel-gazing about the metaphysical oddness of a world with which I felt unable to connect. It tried to be avant garde to the extent that it became unplayable (for me). P:E is a niche enough product as it is, and it needs to sell. By taking some of the least commercial aspects of PS:T (i.e. the bits hardcore fans love) it might well commit P:E to an even narrower niche ghetto.

Just my two silver pieces.

I know that this is a much-beloved game. I respect the love and genuinely understand the sentiment behind it. But P:E should channel BG1 & 2 with a splash of PS:Ts NPC depth. Like a shot of tabasco in the soup.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

I think that BG is outvoting Ps:T for two reasons. Firstly, it is a far more famous game and hence has been played by more people. I'll use myself as an example: I had BG recommended to me by an acquaintance about 8 years ago or so when I was playing the first Dungeon Siege, whereas I discovered Ps:T of my own accord while searching for me IE game to play. Secondly, as Monte Carlo stated (my other point was also made my Monte, just not as explicitly), Ps:T is a niche game; it's more particular in it's taste and is, very much, a piece of art.

• Like 2

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

lol @Call of Duty

i guess i'll have to pick it, since i really can't choose

art style from icewind dale + planescapes good characters + baldurs gate 2 balance between combat and talking would be my preference

isn't this what they said they would make in the pitch anyway?

Edited by lolaldanee
  • Like 1

Could have thrown in the action-RPG such as the ME series or even MCA's own FNV into the mix; interesting to see if that option would have scored a few more %.

For what its worth, count me as one of those dyed in the wool CoD I mean PST fans.....(phew, almost revealed my true colours here!)

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

I voted BG and BG2 but really I want PE to stand on it's own.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Honestly from a pure mechanics perspective Temple of Elemental Evil is the clear winner. Hence I voted for it. Either way every game on the list other than Call of Duty has so much in common that answering any of them is almost totally interchangeable.

• Like 1

I voted for BG and BG 2, but I would love to see PT as well. However, I think the best would be for the game to get it's own "magic". So when people talk about these RPGs, they won't be talking how alike BG and Project Eternity are, but how both of them have their own "magic" (ex, that atmosphere and so forth).

"Beyond the east the sunrise, beyond the west the sea, and the east and west the wander-thirst, it will not let me be."