Pardon my ignorance but does that mean no camera angle changing or zooming or anything? Seems pretty archaic to me if this is what you plan to spend $4M on... :/

What value exactly does that get me? I have played plenty of games with either and I don't see how it actually makes it a better game. What not having it does is free art resources for elsewhere.

So hmmmm...something that adds nothing is sacrificed to free up resources for things that make the game better?

• Like 2

I'm really glad it's fixed.

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

"Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson

Pardon my ignorance but does that mean no camera angle changing or zooming or anything? Seems pretty archaic to me if this is what you plan to spend $4M on... :/

There have been rumors of some limited form of zoom, but yes the camera angle is fixed for each area. Calling it "archaic" is a subjective opinion based on your expectations. The fixed perspective allows greater attention to be paid to the graphical features, and the play can benefit from not having to frequently adjust the camera angle. It's a trade off, as is true with all game designs.

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Great! This thread need more trolls like him to spice things up! :)

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

It's like that Mona Lisa thing. It's lame. I mean.... 2D

Ok...I admit it. I lol'd. ;)

I can understand wanting an ability to control the camera. Even I've gotten rather used to that. But that's in the 3d games. And even in those, sometimes top-down perspective combined with camera swivel has its own bizarre issues. I still wouldn't mind a simple close-up function tho, for vanity sake. But I won't mind if it's not included, either. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Isometric view has actually been one of the selling points of Project Eternity. It might be old, but it's certainly not archaic - as proved by high demand for games using this view.

However, I agree that some flexibility of the camera would be useful. I recently replayed Fallout and it was a pain to search bodies hidden behind walls or sometimes even to see my enemies. I hope transparent walls will be more effective in PE so we don't need a movable camera.

I'm usually ok with stuff being highlighted when they're behind walls or whatever.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Pretty much yes. "Zoom" might work, though I'm wondering what kind of... errors will crop up due to technical stuff. Though I can't imagine they'd be too bad. I'm just being nitpicky about wanting the absolute best quality possible.

As for "stuff highlighted" when it's behind a wall, it honestly shouldn't be too hard to just make the wall or the roof or whatever disappear this time around.

Edited by Frenetic Pony

All opinions provided in response appreciated. I can see the point in keeping it fixed I guess. Diablo3 is doing well with this so I suppose its ok however Diablo3 I am pretty sure is on a full 3D engine so I'm not sure how well 2.5D will stack up. (p.s. I'm not trolling)

Totaly agree. For $4M they could do some awesome 3D masterpiece, like Dragon Age 2 or Arcania. It could also solve all problems with console adaptation and gamepad compatibility.

Edited by Comedian
Is nomine vacans liberarit vobis ex servitut.

Is nomine vacans redit vobis ars magica.

It will probably allow a zoom function. So not completely fixed.

A zoom would add a lot, IMHO. With the increased resolution, it would be a nice touch--not so much for tactical combat--but for searching, thieving, even just to get a closer look at your avatar's armor, etc. I've been playing a little IWD II recently, and think a feature like this would be useful and appreciated. For situations like walking your party around a town, you could zoom in and get a closer look at your immediate surroundings, instead of just looking at a screen full of rooftops. Same goes for a narrow dead-end tunnel, when the rest of the screen is black.

Edited by Seryn

Crimson & Cream; an epic fantasy novel by C.M. Skiera