How should romance be handled?

I'm just curious at to the general preference for romance/sex options. Fallout New Vegas had one night stands, Veronica was gay, Cass was bi, Boone was hetero, and Arcade was gay. There wasn't a hetero female romance option in the game. You had to download a mod to have the most typical romance for a male. I found that completely weird, but since it was a Bethesda game and thus easily moddable, no big deal. I didn't play Dungeon Siege 3, but I thought the male/female romance in Alpha Protocal was understated, but well done. Since this game is isometric, I don't see the types of romance that were available in first person games as viable. Even though I'm strictly hetero, I hope that all branches of the spectrum are covered, but it seems like the understated, more innuendo than anything else, dialogue-heavy would be the best way to go.

I'm kinda curious as to which, if any, romances people have enjoyed throughout the years. I've enjoyed Leilana of Dragon Age, Mina of Alpha Protocol, and Willow of FNV mod fame. I've pretty much forgotten the details of any of the older isometric games, but would love to be reminded about what people thought were special about any of those.