Awesome Interview with Avellone

This pretty much...and it's not "people" (as in a majority / consensus kind of reading) that say that. It's basically the anti-romance crowd latching on Avellone's interview because it validates their viewpoint and hopes for the game.

That Avellone isn't stemming the whole project himself and that he in fact didn't even make a statement about romances in PE is simply contrary to their standpoint.

Aye, it is quite sad to see such playground activity on the forums grow on such a daily basis. Before YouTube and memes, forums were more a place of discussion and friendship, other than people trying to get on other people's backs the entire time. It's as if Chris Avellone is the school's teacher and half of his class, filled with children under the age of 12, is yelling: "See, we were right all along! Our God agrees with us!". I thought that most people here would be more mature and would be able to view things from different perspectives, but I guess I was wrong. I guess wisdom does not grow with age.

The result of a game funded by kickstarter is provisionally a sad one, indeed. Especially considering the fact that Project: Eternity will never satisfy everbody's needs -- romance yes or no, excluded. If people do not see this, they shouldn't have donated in the beginning.

Some of us still partake in this discussion and friendship. I haven't made any friends from here yet though, anyone wanna be friends?

Depends on how much you'll pay me and the benefits package that is included.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Great interview !

BTW: Chris got it right bloody oath can mean hell yes.

If he wishes to continue with archaic Australian slang in his next interview, he should throw in bonza, sheila, she'll be right mate and crack open another tinny.

• Like 1

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

advice-animals-memes-call-me-maybe-australian-edition.jpg

I'm upset that he didn't even bother to ask me to quote him a price for my friendship, just ignored me and went straight to you! My rates are not that bad..

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

I'm upset that he didn't even bother to ask me to quote him a price for my friendship, just ignored me and went straight to you! My rates are not that bad..

Sorry I can't get any publishing companies to endorse me in this, I'll need to start a Kickstarter.

Sorry I can't get any publishing companies to endorse me in this, I'll need to start a Kickstarter.

Fair point, I am a high risk investment. Reckon you've got enough fans to reach any of the stretch goals?

Think you're creating a false dichotomy: either romance is done well and forced down your throat or romance is done poorly and is optional.

Yea, right. o.O Well hello to the black and white world of your imagination :) Of course there are other ways to write a romance, make it interesting and still allow you to ignore the NPC altogether or not showing any interest in that person. I think a romance does not have to influence the main plot at all, the romanced person does not have to change or have different opinions about everything just because she likes you as main character.

Yes. It's optional and attracts more customers than not having it. I for one, am not gonna play on the hardest difficulty. I'm more intrigued by exploring all the dialouge options, and find out what all the people of this world are all about. Does that mean I should raise my voice and flail angrily at people who happen to like difficult combat? No. Of course not. That would be stupid. However, I do understand there that certain people like something, and I can totally ignore it. Much like romance is can be entirely ignored. Some of the stretch goals I didn't care about at all, like the Adventurer Hall, but is it something I must use? No. But I'm glad it exists for people who enjoy making companions without dialouge options. [...]

Point is: Characters are already being written for this game and many people just want to explore as much as possible about them. The more Obsidian reveals about the character, the better. What does this character do aside from saving the world? What makes him/her happy? What makes him/her sad? Is he/she a funny guy/girl, or is he/she mostly serious? Do I like this character or do I hate this character? Does this character like or hate my character? Well, if this character really hates mine, I want to see that expressed. If this character really likes my character, I also want to see that expressed. Is this character gullible, smart, or non-caring of what I do? What will this character do if presented with a choice that would be tough for him/her? Will he/she betray me if the choice is very tough? Is my character important to this other character? Is this character written in a thought out way, or is it a shallow dummy like all the Oblivion/Skyrim NPCs? Do I give a damn about this NPC, and if so, how closely will my character associate with this NPC?

Romance is similarly just one out of many important narrative techniques to use. To neglect it entirely is just limiting oneself in terms of story-telling. [...]

Thanks for your comment. Now I don't feel so alone with my opinion.. :)

I also do not understand this "yay, we won because you will not get what you wanted to see in the game and what we could have ignored anyway"-bashing. But then again, maybe we should let them have their victory like most others that voted for romances in other topics did.

I understand of course that A. doesn't want to write them, if he does not know how to write them or has no fun writing them. I think his reach will be far, and I am not sure if we really can still hope for them if his view of them is so .. narrow (?). But then again I am sure he will write other "relationships" (friendhips, aversions, etc) with the companions that are worth exploring and just hope that in game he does still grant for the main character also has some say in it, where he wants those "relationships" to go and only limits those choices from the companions character view and not from the main character view just because he wouldn't like the main character to make some choices, he wouldn't choose.. :)

• Like 1

That Star Wars Call Me Maybe video must have taken a week to make. Or alternatively, about 48 hours + 35 Red Bulls.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Definitely not man. Perhaps we can be friends for free for a while and then when we've got something worth talking about we can pitch the video and see how we go then?

Fair point, I am a high risk investment. Reckon you've got enough fans to reach any of the stretch goals?

Edited by Sensuki

A good romance would have to have the entire game be written around it. That's not the kind of RPG I am looking but I can 100% tell you that if something like that were to be in the game it will sorely disappoint all those who may be asking for a Bioware romance that only serves to gratify the player rather than tell a story.

I'm not sure if the entire game would have to be written around it; it would have to be fairly well integrated in the game just simply for time to devlopment, to fit the game and the NPC involved. So the idea that you can easily drop-in romance to hit an easy "win" for the fanbase doesn't really work most of the times in terms of the game and NPCs, IMO.

That said, part of me can't help but wonder if Avellone wrote his reply just because he knew it'd add about 500,000 pages to existing romance debate...now that's just mean :lol:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man