Pistols & Pirates.. (multiple black powder pistol build)

There have been lots of threads on mechanics, ideas, the classes and so on and I'd like to share an idea with everyone if not for the fact - It could potentially be cool to have in PE but at the same time I just wonder what people think in general.

Class applied to Rogues (Pirates).

In a lot of lore the idea for pistols comes into play as a means to breach a wizards shields more than it does to kill your foes at range as you would in an FPS - There not accurate in my imagined fantasy world but there deadly up close and shatter mage/wizard shields outright (unless it's very strong).

Based on the era/lore of most fantasy yarghhPG's (see what I did there) they would be single shot, black powder based pistols with a slow reload and in a fight a one shot thing. What I'm thinking is that as one of the above class builds you can carry;

• A sword/dagger sheath
  • Hip holster for dual pistols
  • Underarm dual pistol holster

Class would be suited for light armour with abilities that use the sword and during a fight they can pull out and use each pistol to destroy mages shields or do massive damage up close but to reload they are required to stand still and properly clear out the pistol, reload the powder, ball bearings and this isn't something you can do running around.

I'm thinking an up close and personal anti-mage/wizard style build but equally deadly against single targets.

In a team fight he would be the one zeroing in on the mages/wizards/priests to take them out of the fight and maybe unloading into the lighter defended enemies.

Not sure how ball bearings would hold up against full plate etc.. (worth a look) but I do quite like the variation of the standards 'rogue' class without falling away from the single target, disruption stereotypes.

Thoughts, opinions, flames?

ps. Sorry to the regulars of the forums - Not sure if this is the right place to post this or whether or not this ideas come up before or even if posting this type of thing is frowned upon. (still a forum newbie)

• Like 2

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.

I like it. Doesn't have to be a pirate, just like a fighter doesn't have to be a knight, but I like the concept and style. Perhaps call it a pistoleer or something?

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

If I could draw even half decently (and then had a scanner) I would attempt to draw how I envisioned it but the art style isn't "as" important as the play style. I started a playthrough of IWD2 last night and for the love of god I can't remember how to play it - it has been what 10 years. But it got me thinking more about this in how it could work.

Skill wise it could have a decent stealth or move fast amount as a base stat with melee damage being rather low but pistol damage being rather high.

And useable abilities would be base around how to use the pistols, such as mages learn spells perhaps this person can learn pistol abilities from other pistol users throughout the world OR that he/she was taught by their father etc... Examples would be,

Point Blank Shot (Requires 1 fully loaded pistol and X distance*close*) - Shatters mage shields - If no shield exists does dmg based on area hit (dice role) eg rolling 2 would count as a graze where as 12 would be full on blast to the chest (penetrates lvl 1 or 2 armour but level 3 reinforced plate deflects half the damage) and does bleeding damage for X amount until a heal is used or enemy dies.

Distraction Shot (Requires 1 fully loaded pistol and XtoY distance*close to medium*) - Fire quickly at the face of the enemy - Chance to cause damage greatly reduced due to accuracy but the blast of gun powder and pellets cause the target to cover their face (reduces armour/defense/misses a turn etc.)

Scatter Shot (Requires 3 fully loaded pistols and XtoY distance*close to medium*) - Fires one shot directly in front and then pulls out the other two pistols and fires slightly to the left and right of the original target to cover a 45 degree angle. - Chance to cause dmg/bleeding on higher rolls otherwise causes minor dmg/shatters shields and minor distraction shot on other roles to other targets.

Double Whammy/Some awesome PE based name (Requires 2 fully loaded pistol and dagger/sword and within x amount of range of the character) - The character lunges with their *bladed weapon* causing X amount of dmg based on roll leaving the blade stuck in the enemy momentarily before pulling out both pistols for a double Point Blank Shot before then pulling out the blade. (3 separate dmg rolls required?)

Now these all sound like big damage dealing and good debuff/crowd control attacks that could be classed as overpowered BUT I would say that the pistols would then need to be reloaded out of combat and that takes about 5 seconds per pistol and require the character to stand still.

And the character can only ever equip a sword/dagger OR a shield if using any pistols as they always need 1 hand free to pull out a pistol / put away Sword quickly ro pull out the other pistols.

Heh, I would LOVE to play that type of class you would really have to use your shots wisely because you only get 3 then your down to just your sword and your speed to stay out of the fight.

If there are going to be pirates, there's going to be a "Law and Order Justice Force" too. Fighting Pirates and Wizard's alike, Mage & Pirate Hunters. Sounds like 3 factions right there (Wizard, Ruffian, Police/Military).

EDIT: The thought of having more than one gun springs to mind, and it should be a possibility. Making me able to just swap guns in battle. In Baldur's Gate I can swap from my backpack, in battle, which I shun upon in my opinion. 4-5 quick slot weapons should suffice. This way you could seriously dish out some damage with 4 shots, reload all 4 guns, dish out 4 shots.

Edited by Osvir

The more I think about it the more I really hope someone at Obsidian reads this and goes... "hmmm a black powder rogue class.... that could work".

I would be tempted if there was to make my party consist purely of "Rogue > Juneau Guild*I can dream*" characters just to die horribly to a few dirty Giants one shotting them.

Edited by Juneau

I hope firearms aren't just bows with a different kind of ammo.

The kind of Firearms we're talking about here had one big disadvantage: loading time. This is why musketeers fired in formations, while line 1 shot, line 2+3 reloaded their weapons. This is also why pirates, and other folks attacking with firearms in a man-vs-man scenario often carried several loaded guns and a melee wapon. Flintlock guns were fire and forget weapons, in close quarter combat there was no time to reload them.

If guns are supposed to be devastating against all conventional and magical protection, they also ought to have the disadvantage of long reload times. You still could play a medieval Han Solo who shoots his overkill gun at that annoying Orlan in the bar, but gameplay-wise, a gunman wouldn't play like a marksman, but more like a fighter/mage who lets loose one devastating ranged attack before he enters melee.

• Like 1

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

I hope firearms aren't just bows with a different kind of ammo.

The kind of Firearms we're talking about here had one big disadvantage: loading time. This is why musketeers fired in formations, while line 1 shot, line 2+3 reloaded their weapons. This is also why pirates, and other folks attacking with firearms in a man-vs-man scenario often carried several loaded guns and a melee wapon. Flintlock guns were fire and forget weapons, in close quarter combat there was no time to reload them.

If guns are supposed to be devastating against all conventional and magical protection, they also ought to have the disadvantage of long reload times. You still could play a medieval Han Solo who shoots his overkill gun at that annoying Orlan in the bar, but gameplay-wise, a gunman wouldn't play like a marksman, but more like a fighter/mage who lets loose one devastating ranged attack before he enters melee.

Which is what I think I've said in my idea :) Your written English is just better than mine.

The more I think about it the more I really hope someone at Obsidian reads this and goes... "hmmm a black powder rogue class.... that could work".

I would be tempted if there was to make my party consist purely of "Rogue > Juneau Guild*I can dream*" characters just to die horribly to a few dirty Giants one shotting them.

I like where your head is at with several of your ideas, but I'd prefer to see this play style allowed through the selection of feats/perks rather than making a single class out of it. That way, various classes like rogue, fighter, etc could work elements of firearms into their playstyle in the degree that they choose. A rogue could semi-specialize in them to achieve the result you're proposing, or a fighter could take one or two feats to have an "ace up his sleeve" for just the right moment.

Also, I'm a huge fan of the idea of customization through vast options. And such an idea is better served by having fewer base classes and more feats/perks that make your rogue, wizard, fighter, or cleric unique when compared to others who share their base class. Just my opinion though. Doesn't mean much. 8)

• Like 1

"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift

If there are going to be pirates, there's going to be a "Law and Order Justice Force" too. Fighting Pirates and Wizard's alike, Mage & Pirate Hunters. Sounds like 3 factions right there (Wizard, Ruffian, Police/Military).

I use Pirate more as an idea for what it would look like - Not an actual of the Sea pirate though I suppose if there are going to be pirate factions in the game and lore wise it could be explain as a class then all the better but depending on the area and lore - Just because there is piracy means there is a anti/counter piracy force.

I like where your head is at with several of your ideas, but I'd prefer to see this play style allowed through the selection of feats/perks rather than making a single class out of it. That way, various classes like rogue, fighter, etc could work elements of firearms into their playstyle in the degree that they choose. A rogue could semi-specialize in them to achieve the result you're proposing, or a fighter could take one or two feats to have an "ace up his sleeve" for just the right moment.

Also, I'm a huge fan of the idea of customization through vast options. And such an idea is better served by having fewer base classes and more feats/perks that make your rogue, wizard, fighter, or cleric unique when compared to others who share their base class. Just my opinion though. Doesn't mean much. 8)

I can see your idea being more plausible to Obsidian in terms of introducing the use of multiple pistols as for customisation I would prefer all classes to be able to use all abilities (with bonuses applied depending on class>trait etc..) But I also don't mind the idea of classes having restrictions and the reason I feel this would work better is because - Anyone can use a pistol but only those with specific training can use it in combination with a blade and switch between the (3/4) guns to use them in such a way to do something other then hurt people that I think a class/sub class type of ranger or rogue would be needed to make it plausible lore wise.

I wouldn't mind either way - I would however really like to use single shot - long reload - massive damage black powder pistols (because I think in a fantasy setting they would be awesome).

Edited by Juneau