Super Hero RPG

JayDGee

I have created a setting for a superhero rpg, that one day I do intend to run.

The only thing I'm not sure about is what system to use.

Does anyone know of a fast paced system that lends itself well to superheroes and has decent power creation tools?

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

I made something similar a while back and ended using a self-modified Gurps system. But mostly because I decided to run a comedy scenario where all the superheroes had various mental and physical disabilities, which Gurps handles very well.

Otherwise perhaps you should consider going system-free or creating a very stylized and easy system yourself? It's not that hard and is usually the solution in our group when we do something that mainstream RPG systems can't cover.

Fortune favors the bald.

I have a bad history with gurps mostly due to one terrible gm who loved it.

Well he loved the idea of it had every damn book and made people go through character gen for a month.

Then never run the damn game. The worst part. We fell for it every damn time.

He talked a good game but couldn't deliver.

System free I have done occasionally but only on short term projects, don't think it would work well with this.

Creating my own system is unlikely.

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

Heroes Unlimited.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Mutants and Masterminds 3E.

It's fairly quick once you get a grasp on it, and it's amazingly effective for the wide variety of things you can achieve with it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

One of the things I like about M&M is how all the powers are based around effects that you add descriptors to, and include extras, flaws, and power modifiers...

Which allows you to completely change the tone and style.

The Damage power as basic is close range power that literally causes damage.

With the right descriptor and quirk, it might be Retractable Claws, Psychic Axe, a super-strong punch, or a switchblade that can be disarmed..

Add the Ranged extra and potentially you've got a handgun, or generating neon cosmic blasts.. Throw in Homing feature and Burst / Explosion Area and you've got a missile or seeking fireball...

You can ramp it up to full on Superheroes with Phenomenal Cosmic Powah! Or tone it down and it's perfect for gritty street level spies.. Or somewhere in between and Pulp 20's style.. Hell, if you twist it the right way it can work as a perfectly standard Fantasy Sword & Sorcery type game.. Or push it into silver age space madness and sci-fi elegance..

Is there a big difference between 2nd and 3rd ed Mutants and Masterminds?

I can get my hands on 2nd fairly easily it seems. As an associate says I can have them.

Okay, for the brief history.

1st Edition M&M was basically connected to Open D20 source.

2nd Edition M&M was them stripping away a lot of the OpenD20 and creating more of their own, but keeping a lot of links to the original style.

3rd Edition is much further away from the d20 roots and is set up with a lot more "showing the bare bones" of the system as it were. They took a lot of the d20 stuff away, shifted the stats from d20 style and really pushed it out there.

2nd Edition is still good and worthwhile But some of the basic effects are more cloaked in style, rather then giving you the bare bones. (if that makes sense).

Okay, for the brief history.

1st Edition M&M was basically connected to Open D20 source.

2nd Edition M&M was them stripping away a lot of the OpenD20 and creating more of their own, but keeping a lot of links to the original style.

3rd Edition is much further away from the d20 roots and is set up with a lot more "showing the bare bones" of the system as it were. They took a lot of the d20 stuff away, shifted the stats from d20 style and really pushed it out there.

2nd Edition is still good and worthwhile But some of the basic effects are more cloaked in style, rather then giving you the bare bones. (if that makes sense).

Yeah makes sense, will look out for 3E

Have a source for 3rd ed now just to read it and see if I can use it for my nefarious means.