Disney buys Lucasfilm

Tale

People who have no idea about the EU is pissing me off.

"Lol who cares about C-cannon? they can do whatever!"

**** you! They can't do whatever!

Comic books do it all the time.

In the long run all expanded cannon becomes self-contradictory and stale without enough new source material to mimic.

Budget: $250,000,000 (estimated)

Opening Weekend: $30,180,188 (USA) (11 March 2012) (3749 Screens)

Gross: $282,778,100 (Worldwide) (12 August 2012)

According to that it's considered a "great financial failure", like how video games that might a slight profit are and not huge are deemed such and then fired afterwards.

Sadly, that's the idiotic reality of today.

I blame the stock market and shareholders.

MacDonalds only made 1.45 billion profit, last year 1.5 billion in that time. Massive crises! Stocks are plumeting over the bad results.

Hello? 1.45 billion PROFIT isn't profit anymore? What the hell?

Anyway, back to the story at hand... it's absolutely ambiguish yet wheter this is an improvement or not.

And screw EU. Please let VII overwrite and obsolete all of it, right where it belongs. Adhering to it religiously will only hurt Star Wars as franchise at this point.

As usual, I recommend you guys look up "return on investment" and its cousin "profit margin". Profit as a raw number is worthless. Unless you want to use it as a reason for "taxing the rich" (see my comments on this in the other thread) :p.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Comic books do it all the time.

In the long run all expanded cannon becomes self-contradictory and stale without enough new source material to mimic.

Yes, but not in the case where the movies would invalidate all of the EU

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Didn't the prequels already invalidate like 90% of the EU? I think it's a pointless discussion anyway. Canon is a fan construction - it's bull**** that doesn't matter. Extended Universe for anything is never truly canon.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Didn't the prequels already invalidate like 90% of the EU? I think it's a pointless discussion anyway. Canon is a fan construction - it's bull**** that doesn't matter. Extended Universe for anything is never truly canon.

That was actually the cunning ploy where nearly all the EU created before the prequels is set AFTER A New Hope. WIth the most extensive stuff being in that 5-20 years post Return of the Jedi.

The only real stuff set before A New Hope.. is set hm, 5,000 years before, 4,000 years before, and 1,000 years before. That let them leave the big hole for the prequels, and post prequels has let them fill in those gaps.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

That was actually the cunning ploy where nearly all the EU created before the prequels is set AFTER A New Hope. WIth the most extensive stuff being in that 5-20 years post Return of the Jedi.

The only real stuff set before A New Hope.. is set hm, 5,000 years before, 4,000 years before, and 1,000 years before. That let them leave the big hole for the prequels, and post prequels has let them fill in those gaps.

Hah, fair enough, I'm not really familiar with Star Wars EU - I just know I always hear people complaining about the prequels messing with canon. I remember that the Clone Wars story was told before where supposedly Ben Kenobi died and got replaced with the clone 0B1 Kenobi. Perhaps that was all bull that I was told, but it sure as damn sounded better than the prequels. :p

Edited by TrueNeutral

I've read several EU books past the prequals release and thought to myself "hey, that didn't quite work as said here" several times.

So yeah... canon. Obliterated. And who cares?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Hah, fair enough, I'm not really familiar with Star Wars EU - I just know I always hear people complaining about the prequels messing with canon. I remember that the Clone Wars story was told before where supposedly Ben Kenobi died and got replaced with the clone 0B1 Kenobi. Perhaps that was all bull that I was told, but it sure as damn sounded better than the prequels. :p

The problem with expanded star wars canon are not the prequels but that it mapped out a lot of stuff after episode 6.

IIRC some 30 years plus a short foray into 100+ years later.

It seems unlikely that Disney would just film existing material or try to fit their movies into it.

Edited by pmp10

I'd agree with you if so much in the Expanded Universe wasn't so incredibly awful. We have people turning into trees to prevent evil sith lords from getting their lightsabers.

who wrote that crap?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'd agree with you if so much in the Expanded Universe wasn't so incredibly awful. We have people turning into trees to prevent evil sith lords from getting their lightsabers.

who wrote that crap?

Wait, wasn't that the plot resolution for the Elfstones of Shannara too (well it was demons overrunning the realm, not sith lords but still tree transformation to end/delay evil)?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I remember when the Clone Wars was about clones going insane, so everyone had to fight against them. And dark side force users all exploded when they died.

Good times.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I thought Anderson's Sun Crusher trilogy was stupid enough, but he kept on going ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well last year they did have the 20th Anniversary of Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy.

8 years after Return of the Jedi. 8 years before the prequels came about.

And they pretty much kicked the EU into existance beyond those "Han Solo before Star Wars" books that had been published.

The Marvel run of Star Wars / Return of the Jedi comics (which I admit, I do believe I have a hundred or so stashed away in a box in the attic) pretty much filled in the gaps of what Luke, Han, Leia and the rest were doing between A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. If my memory doesn't fail me too much, there was one brief mention of the Clone Wars in a story where the "Clone Masters" were the bad guys but they never provided any details beyond that.

But once Heir to the Empire / Dark Force Rising / The Last Command kicked their way onto bestseller's lists and re-invigorated the fanbase.. boom. The EU exploded big style.

But no matter what you say about Anderson's books, they didn't get quite as bad as Karen Traviss and her desire to instil her dislike and loathing of Jedis (viewed as Nazis) and make Mandalorians uber-powerful jedi killers when they weren't being reaaaally nice democratic farmer types.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Considering that Lucas is still a 'creative consultant' for the series, I doubt we will see any major reform or positive movement for the series. We'll see Lucas' brand of 'wacky childish fun' (aka Jarjar) and campy nonsense continue to ruin the series. Only now, it'll be justifiable to turn the next Star Wars movie into a musical.

Granted, Disney at least has done some decently 'mature' kids movies in the past, but Lucas has this backwards idea of what it means to appeal to a young audience and he's been trying to change Star Wars to fit some kind of crazy agenda he has. I don't think Disney will change Star Wars direction for it to matter to us.

Probably the biggest change will be a shift in the video game department - probably less war in Star Wars. We'll see more spinoff nonsense like Angry Birds just released. Maybe if we're lucky, in twenty years, Kingdom Hearts 20 will feature Darth Vader as a boss.

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

lolololl ewoks lololol jar jar

who wrote that crap?

As a reference, not inspiration.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

You people go on talk about Disney, Lucas and the EU.

I'll be sitting here bemourning that Disney did not buy the license for the Dune universe before Brian Herbert decided to ruin his dad's legacy by writing prequels that make Episode 1 look like a masterpiece.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Rumor has been circulating that Disney is looking at buying Hasbro as well, which would get them properties such as GI Joe, Transformers, My Little Pony, and Dungeons and Dragons.

Apparently Hasbro is worth something like 11 billion though, which is significantly more than the 4 or so each that Marvel and Lucasfilm cost.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

After seeing the prequels by Lucasfilms I’m ok with this. Well I’m ok with this as long as I get a Yoda vs. Hulk crossover, if not I am completely utterly disappointed. Why buy Marvel and Lucas if your not going to have Yoda fight the Hulk? It would just sound pointless to me.

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Groundlings: The lowest common denominator.

After seeing the prequels by Lucasfilms I’m ok with this. Well I’m ok with this as long as I get a Yoda vs. Hulk crossover, if not I am completely utterly disappointed. Why buy Marvel and Lucas if your not going to have Yoda fight the Hulk? It would just sound pointless to me.

I can see it more as a collaborative effort:

The Unbelievably Green Duo

With Yoda trying to help the Hulk get his anger in check, as Bruce is on the precipice, the plunge down towards the dark side seeming a certainty... unless Yoda can get through to him.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I can see it more as a collaborative effort:

The Unbelievably Green Duo

With Yoda trying to help the Hulk get his anger in check, as Bruce is on the precipice, the plunge down towards the dark side seeming a certainty... unless Yoda can get through to him.

See Disney has the opportunity to make a meat sandwich here.

Joss Whedon could direct what would become known as the greatest movie ever made. We’ll call it Joss Presents Star Wars vs. Marvel, for now. It’ll star Edward Norton as the Hulk and Frank Oz as Yoda. The movie is just the Hulk fighting Yoda on a planet. No one else is in the movie but a dancing Twi'lek in Jabba's Palace. That’s it, that’s all there is to it.

And it well be a meat sandwich in movie form.

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Groundlings: The lowest common denominator.

Mickey... I'm your father!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein