Disney buys Lucasfilm

Tale

I think there's too much EU material to make Episode 7 - people will either have seen it before in a book, novel, or comic if they don't wander too far beyond Ep. 6 or people will have no clue what's going on if they do.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

They could pretend that Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back were the only two movies ever made and then build on that :)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Thrawn trilogy is five years after battle of Yavin so that would be most logical.

Except that they'd have to find different actors for Leia, Han Solo and Skywalker.

Everything that happens after Thrawn is complete rubbish.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Thrawn trilogy is five years after battle of Yavin so that would be most logical.

Except that they'd have to find different actors for Leia, Han Solo and Skywalker.

Everything that happens after Thrawn is complete rubbish.

The Dark Empire series might be decent as well, even if it is the usual power creep - the Eclipse, World Devestators, Emperor clones.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Imo, Lucas raped SW into oblivion already. At this point Disney is probably only going to be a good thing, bc they at least can handle the whimsical tone. When Lucas tried to do it we got ****ing JARJAR and then some children-killing spliced in to make things seem "edgey." At least with Disney we'll have a coherent tone, and Lucas has made it more than clear he wants to market SW to tiny babies in the past decade or so.

Even though Phantom Menace was pretty bad, and the dialogue between Anakin and Padmey in Attack of the Clones was cringe worthy, I actually really liked Revenge of the Sith :) Anyway, Disney's ownership of Marvel, hasn't stopped the recent Marvel movies from being very good, so maybe they will lend a similar hands off approach to Star Wars, and leave it in the hands of people who know it and understand it. Maybe they could even bring Whedon on board :) Also, Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote Empire, Jedi and also Raiders, is still alive and working, so maybe he could work on the new ones.

• Like 1

Twitter: @Chrono2012

They have a pretty major working relationship with Joss Whedon now...

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't know how an episode 7 could really be all that close in the timeline to 6. I doubt they would really use replacement actors for Luke, Han, and Leia, and they are too old for anything but cameos. My guess is you set it a bit further out and focus on the kids of those characters.

Star Wars was cool, but not that cool that I'm going to really care about the constant milking. It'll have to be a good movie on its own right.

Hope they revive the Jedi Knight series though.

Disney said two of the areas they want to focus on aggressively with the franchise are tv and video games. So maybe we'll see that live action show that's been talked about forever, and maybe we'll seea KOTOR 3

Devastatorsig.jpg

Disney said two of the areas they want to focus on aggressively with the franchise are tv and video games. So maybe we'll see that live action show that's been talked about forever, and maybe we'll seea KOTOR 3

as long as Bioyouknowwho keeps its hands away from it......

Of the original movies, Lucas had only directed Episode 4, hasn't he? I'm quite interested in what the new guys will pull off.

At least something beyond the 24641984th re-release of a newly remastered special edition with seconds of previously unseen material and new CGI replacing minor features is going to happen. :teehee:

With Lucas out of the way, there's now a chance for a good Star Wars movie?

This. A thousand times this. The prequals were an abomination.

This is what I was thinking, too. With Spielberg's producing partner taking the branch over, we might see him helming the new movie...

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Of the original movies, Lucas had only directed Episode 4, hasn't he? I'm quite interested in what the new guys will pull off.

This, pretty much. Empire, which is (IMO) the best movie in the series, had minimal involvement from George Lucas in the writing and directing departments -- he provided the basic story outline but the screenplay wasn't written by him and the movie was not directed by him. This change of ownership opens the door for other writers and directors to bring something fresh to the Star Wars table and that can only be a good thing. Also, after the completion of the Skywalker saga with Revenge of the Sith, the (hopefully) logical next step would be to focus on a brand new story with brand new characters, which would be very welcome.

• Like 3

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

I'll just repeat my first reaction from another forum:

Does that mean Vader will be a boss enemy in Epic Mickey 3?

Or that Cloud Strife and Donald Duck get to argue about who gets to romance Ashoka in Kingdom of Hearts 3?

Do we get a Tinker Bell and Amidala Christmas special cross-over?

Episode 2 gets re-made:

Anakin: "Padme, I did something terrible. You will no longer be able to love me."

Padme: "Don' say that Ani! Whatever you did, I know you had you reasons just as I know I will always love you."

Anakin: "No Padme, this you wont be able to forgive. I killed them all, even the tiniest ones who could barely fly... I stood in the middle of the grove and shouted as loud as I could: I DO NOT BELIEVE IN FAERIES!"

Darth Hook: "And thus the journey to the dark side begins... my... apprentice."

Jedi Master Crocodile: "Tick Tock"

Darth Hook: "MR SMEE! It's that blasted crocodile! Get us to warp speed now!"

Then in Episode 6.2: Return of the Lost Jedi Boys:

Luke Pan infiltrates the palace of reknown crime lord Jabba the Hut to free the Crocodile encased in carbonite. In this he is aided by the rebel Sandpeople and Indian tribes fighting to drive the Hutts and other assorted tresspassers from tehir ancestral homeland.

And it will still be better than episodes 1-3...

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

This, pretty much. Empire, which is (IMO) the best movie in the series, had minimal involvement from George Lucas in the writing and directing departments -- he provided the basic story outline but the screenplay wasn't written by him and the movie was not directed by him. This change of ownership opens the door for other writers and directors to bring something fresh to the Star Wars table and that can only be a good thing. Also, after the completion of the Skywalker saga with Revenge of the Sith, the (hopefully) logical next step would be to focus on a brand new story with brand new characters, which would be very welcome.

I once read that the outline for Episode 7 - 9 was that an aged Luke Skywalker fights the remnants of the Empire and establishes a new order of Jedis as an Obi-Wan - like mentor. Apparently Mark Hamill is contracted to resume his role since the seventies.

Unfortunately, the flood of recent news make it really hard to find that website now. I hope I have bookmarked the evidence at home and can post it later when I've found it.

It would be great if it concerned an aged and wisened Luke Skywalker who is now the head of the Jedi Order, and his mastery of the force has extended his life span. This would be a good way to explain why Luke would still be alive if the movie is set many years after Jedi, since we all know Ford would probably not want to return. They could make the main protagonist a descendent of Han and Leia, so they are still connected to the new trilogy somehow. Anyway, i still say Whedon would be great, with Kasdan :) Some other names would be JJ Abrams, Robero Orci, Kurtsman, Jonathan Nolan as writer, or David Goyer? It would be a crime to recast Luke, Leia, or Han, so it's probably best to set it far enough after the original trilogy, that most of them are dead (except for Luke) Because if they are living, then the movies would certainly have to acknowledge them more. Chewie could be back, if wookies have long life spans :) and the droids.

Twitter: @Chrono2012

So turns out fox has the distribution rights for the original trilogy until 2020 and the rights to A New Hope in perpetuity. So that might be an issue for the release of theatrical blu rays.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't think the people here really understand the ramifications of this... I personally lost interest in Star Wars after the remakes and Phantom Menace. I'm not going to bother with engaging the horrid acting and dialogue in Episode 1. But, all that opinion has absolutely nothing to do with the nightmare that is coming for Star Wars fans, past or present.

Lucas has always had a hands-off attitude about fanfare and fan material: web sites, clothing, etc. Disney, on the other hand, holds a diametrically opposing view regarding fans and intellectual property. Disney is after all, the entity behind the DMCA and Sonny Bono Act. Their bought and paid-for congressman was behind both laws. If you're not interested in reading the materials I linked there then I'll sum it up for you below...

Disney is the largest and most well-funded draconian copyright whore in existence today. This company stands directly in the path of people expecting fairness and understanding from the owners of the intellectual property they know and love and asks them to pay a toll at every turn. Since, until now, George Lucas has been hands-off with such things the public backlash and outrage will be terrible once Disney seals the deal and sets loose their festering hellhounds on every Star Wars fan site in existence. And, all that "extended universe" you folks were discussing? Consider that to be expunged from cannon, buried, and forgotten forever. Because that's exactly what Disney is going to do to Star Wars.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

And, all that "extended universe" you folks were discussing? Consider that to be expunged from cannon, buried, and forgotten forever. Because that's exactly what Disney is going to do to Star Wars.
Are you under the impression that Extended Universe is fan material?

It has about as much chances of disappearing as Marvel comics.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I understand the whole fanboy angle, I definitely prefer episodes 4-6 to everything else that has been created, but I think some of the people in here don't realize they are not the target audience. The idea behind every new launch of Star Wars content is to bring in a new generation of fans. My kids love the Clone Wars, but I can barely get them to sit through The Empire Strikes Back. Episode 7 will be aimed at them, or even younger fans. It's smart business.

It has about as much chances of disappearing as Marvel comics.

You don't understand... It's made by a Marvel competitor, it's as good as gone... all of it. Ask the guys at Boom Comics what happened when Disney bought Marvel. Disney is bad news for anything it touches. In short, if they want to make an episode 7, they'll just bury any and everything in the EU that conflicts with their greedy interests.

Edited by Luridis

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.