Of Magic and Muskets...

I'd prefer if guns play as big a role in PE as they do in Torment and BG2. I'm no fan of them and I really do prefer that classic high fantasy feel, with swords and sorcery being the main elements.

Guns don't really add much to make the experience more immersive or interesting imo. They're simple and boring.

Edited by Electricall

Guns don't really add much to make the experience more immersive or interesting imo. They're simple and boring.

By which you mean "unfamiliar to me and different from what I used to see in other games"?

As medieval as chainmail and men wearing tights.

Not tights! Hoses! 100% manly!

• Like 1
Is nomine vacans liberarit vobis ex servitut.

Is nomine vacans redit vobis ars magica.

Edit: Also, relevant:

holygrail189.jpg

I campaigned for a Holy Hand Grenade in my sig for a week. God bombs ... gunpowder ... it's the perfect opportunity for that pop culture reference.

I think a good Crafting System would probably solve the issues with overpowered magic items. Give guns certain enchantment slots and limit what you can imbue them with.

To return to the subject - Let there be many guns. Let them be crazy and OTT, in the manner of Warhammer or Arcanum, only with magic as the primary reason, not SCIENCE! . Give me a musket that shoots lightning. Give me a flintlock pistol that reloads itself. Give me a holy arquebus, that can only be wielded by the pure of heart, that smites the foe with sacred fire, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Verily.

The lore we have seen so far has some kind of fantastic nuke being used to take out St. Waidwen - So let us wield such power on a smaller scale.

Also, give me an elephant gun. There shall be an elephant gun. I brook no argument. If for some unfathomable reason it does not exist within the game, it shall be modded in.

• Like 4

`This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!` - God Emperor of Didcot by Toby Frost.

To return to the subject - Let there be many guns. Let them be crazy and OTT, in the manner of Warhammer or Arcanum, only with magic as the primary reason, not SCIENCE! . Give me a musket that shoots lightning. Give me a flintlock pistol that reloads itself. Give me a holy arquebus, that can only be wielded by the pure of heart, that smites the foe with sacred fire, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Verily.

The lore we have seen so far has some kind of fantastic nuke being used to take out St. Waidwen - So let us wield such power on a smaller scale.

Also, give me an elephant gun. There shall be an elephant gun. I brook no argument. If for some unfathomable reason it does not exist within the game, it shall be modded in.

Sir, I like the cut of your jib sir! And I'm not just saying that because of your username and it's reference to the importance of tea from the planet Didcot...

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

A weapon that is built to look and act like a gun but is used to focus magical energies rather than pull a trigger to fire a projectile you cast a spell and channel it into a gun.

Think any form of casting with your hands to create a ball of energy that you then propel but instead the magical crystal of zagamuffin which is inside of the gun feeds on your magical powers - charges and then unleashes when it reaches a certain power level.

Magical Gun!

• Like 1

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.

i don't like guns in this i don't like guns in this i don't like guns in this i don't like guns in this i don't like guns in this i don't like guns in this i don't like guns in this

but oh well.. :(

vote for crossbows

somewhere..

i don't like guns in this i don't like guns in this i don't like guns in this i don't like guns in this i don't like guns in this i don't like guns in this i don't like guns in this

but oh well.. :(

vote for crossbows

somewhere..

Then create your own thread about why you don't like firearms and stop whining on this thread.

On Topic: I would prefer guns themselves to be non-enchanted, but I would like ammo to be crafted that is specific to certain types of foes:

Salt rounds against ghosts

Holy Rounds against undead

Silver rounds against lycanthropes

Cursed rounds against divine champions

Iron rounds against fey or witches

etc.

To be interesting, they should not be loot or purchased, only crafted through recipies, and not instakills...but provide a weakening effect.

Also, I'm no expert on wheel-lock weapons, but I wonder what the rate of catastrophic failure is with these weapons and how that will be implemeted in-game

We only know about mages being killed by guns. Sometimes.

yhst-45224528714247_2224_167253811.jpg

18th century Italian flintlock pistol. Very cool looking.

Maybe magic can make bullets "explode" into many pieces (like a shotgun shell) right before it hits the enemy.

gandalfundGUN.jpg

Firearms appeared in Europe in the 14th century, but there is little evidence that they immediately began replacing the existing projectile weapons then in use. The inaccuracy of these early guns, and the noise and the smoke they produced, would have made them less successful than bows or crossbows as hunting weapons.

Improvements in gun making gradually made them more effective, however, their use in hunting, until the end of the 17th century at least was restricted to birds at rest. Shooting at flying birds required an effective ignition system, and by around 1700 flintlock guns designed to shoot birds on the wing had been developed.

The flintlock did have a problem though, the puff of smoke from its priming powder often gave the birds enough warning so as to avoid being hit. It wasn’t until the invention of percussion ignition by the Scottish clergyman Alexander Forsyth in the 19th century, that there was major breakthrough in smokeless ignition. The principle of which is still used today in modern small arms cartridges.

http://www.royalarmo...allery-firearms

Make magical guns that are "muffled", show no smoke. This would require magic since silencers didn't exist. It would be quite the deadly weapon for an assassin/thief class. The silenced wheel-lock.

This makes me think: Magic severely stagnates technical innovation. Why create a bullet cartridge, if you can just use magic to silence the gun or stop the smoke? Heck, why even create guns in the first place? You've got fireball!

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

We only know about mages being killed by guns. Sometimes.

yhst-45224528714247_2224_167253811.jpg

18th century Italian flintlock pistol. Very cool looking.

Maybe magic can make bullets "explode" into many pieces (like a shotgun shell) right before it hits the enemy.

gandalfundGUN.jpg

Firearms appeared in Europe in the 14th century, but there is little evidence that they immediately began replacing the existing projectile weapons then in use. The inaccuracy of these early guns, and the noise and the smoke they produced, would have made them less successful than bows or crossbows as hunting weapons.

Improvements in gun making gradually made them more effective, however, their use in hunting, until the end of the 17th century at least was restricted to birds at rest. Shooting at flying birds required an effective ignition system, and by around 1700 flintlock guns designed to shoot birds on the wing had been developed.

The flintlock did have a problem though, the puff of smoke from its priming powder often gave the birds enough warning so as to avoid being hit. It wasn’t until the invention of percussion ignition by the Scottish clergyman Alexander Forsyth in the 19th century, that there was major breakthrough in smokeless ignition. The principle of which is still used today in modern small arms cartridges.

http://www.royalarmo...allery-firearms

Make magical guns that are "muffled", show no smoke. This would require magic since silencers didn't exist. It would be quite the deadly weapon for an assassin/thief class. The silenced wheel-lock.

This makes me think: Magic severely stagnates technical innovation. Why create a bullet cartridge, if you can just use magic to silence the gun or stop the smoke? Heck, why even create guns in the first place? You've got fireball!

Thank you for an awesomely informative post! :)

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

oh and speakin' of magic vs technology in this particular case

i'm inclined to think that one does not exclude the other

so merging of those two might have a dangerously vast impact on the inventional world progress

if successfuly put together, there would be magic computers + internet by the time of, say, 18th century

(300-400 years approx, after the invention of first.. varied.. relatively sophisticated tech devices)

ever cared for a sparkly iphone? crystall ball-free

Edited by kabaliero

Guns work great in fantasy, IMO.

Two of my favorite fantasy settings (Warhammer and Ravenloft) make extensive use of guns.

I wouldn't even mind seeing a repeating gun, a rare prototype giving as "field" testing. Don't think it completely beats believability if the setting has magical swords with flaming blades.

The army museum in Delft here in the Netherlands has an exquisite collection of 17th century guns, and they are all quite beautiful, worked with ivory and mother of pearl, inlaid with different kinds of wood.

They have part of their collection online: http://www.collectie...on/i006253.html

Do browse their collection if you can, the first page doesn't have the best examples.

Edit: http://afbeeldingen.collectie.legermuseum.nl/wwwopac.exe?thumbnail=\\buffel\images$\\PM\images\D012\018870.jpg

small example.

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

All kinds of awesome!

Jaunty highwayman's hat mit goggles, Lamallar-style Samurai armour, chaps, large calibre hand-cannons, rapier and (gasps) boobies.

All kinds of insipid, truth be told. This is a clear case of trying too hard for the "kewl". Samurai & b00bies & pirates, oh my! >_<

The work of that artist has never really struck an appealing chord with me. Ever notice how nearly all of the "bad guys" he draws are portrayed as having just bitten into a lemon rind (especially the undead) and have narrow, yellowed teeth?

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I'm really interested in how guns will turn out in Project: Eternity. Since I do not really like steampunk stuff, I think it would be great if they will create these weapons to have magical influences or proportions. It'd make sense, also, since all the IE games implement magical weapons, including summoned weapons. But guns -- they can be much cooler magically enhanced than just a bright glow around their edges. Such as this one Monte Carlo posted, I think it's a great example:

You know this one makes sense!

r169_457x256_10822_Rage_Thrower_2d_fantasy_steampunk_magic_the_gathering_flamethrower_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

I hate enchanted weapons. It's actually pretty dumb to run around with a flaming sword or a axe that if u throw it it always returns. I would go for realism here. http://www.glenbow.o...ry/firearms.cfm this site shows many early 16th century guns. I would take my ideas from here instead from the 17th century because the difference is tremendous

9751984_1.jpg?v=8CD1F0AA1C4C7F0

Edited by Wulfic
  • Like 2

From all the guns I've seen from the 14th century onward, the one thing I know that has to be different from contemporary guns is the exquisite detail put into each gun. I would assume that these things were not mass-produced; guns were hard-crafted and decorated with great care. I expect that unless the PE universe has a mass-production factory for these and other weapons, great detail and care must go into making these weapons look beautiful, even if it means just in the item description box in your inventory.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html