I would like to see more than upright chopping modelled on the characers. More dynamic animation would be appreciated. I don't need motion capture precision, but I'd like to see some lunges and backswings mixed in with the normal slash.

I'd also like to see a difference in animation between cutting weapons and bludgeoning. You don't swing a mace the same way you swing a sword. With a sword you're cutting or stabbing with quickness and finesse, with a mace or hammer you're smashing your weapon with great impact.

I don't want this to become a combat simulator, but I would like combat to look more visceral than the old IE games.

Edited by Kane_Severance

I think Obsidian will do 1 animation set for one-handed weapons (swords, maces, axes), 1 set for two handed, 1 set for polearms and spears, 1 set for bows, 1 set for crossbows and guns and 1 set for dual wielding.

6 sets of animation excluding spellcasting and non-combat are enough for a 2.5d isometric rpg.

Only boring people get bored

I always thought it weird to see a flail used the same way as a sword.

And didn't the IE games have spears with a chopping motion?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Models are 3d. More animations are always good, but they shouldn't be created while sacrificing other more important things. I think weapon animations falls behind 3D model work for the character (the so-called "paper-doll").

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

3D models should allow for easier animation compared to 2D sprite animations.

We can maybe expect more animation on this front, but I don't see the need to create perfectly fitting animation for every kind of weapon present in the game.

I mean, sure, if they add whips, the animation can't be the same of a 2 handed sword, but we can't expect to have perfectly fitting animations for rapiers and machete for example. I'm fine with it if they use the same move.

What I would really like to see is changes in the animations when using certain abilities.

For example when using a rush attack someone who uses a sword and shield will charge with the shield in front of him but a spear user will hold out the spear like a lance.

For me it would be especially cool if a barbarian who uses his "rage" ability would really start swinging his weapon more wildly with seeming increased strength and fury.

Edited by Quadrone