Suggestion: Merchant class?

Merchant class?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to play a merchant class?

• Yes! This is what I have been dreaming about all these years of playing RPG!
    • Sounds like fun, would like to give it a try.
    • Nope.
    • This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of!
    • other (please comment)
    • tl;dr (Too long; didn't read)

No, thank you. I'm here for roleplaying and adventure, not taking inventory at the end of the month. I'll pass.

It seems few people actually read my idea, its not planed to play as merchant who owns a shop/crafting junk etc. but to have completely different class which is severally limited in all classic RPG skills and is instead compensated by cash so that player is forced to search for other NPC to perform even the simplest quest. Basically you are forced to play using your brain instead of muscles.

Edited by Ivan Bajlo

No, thank you. I'm here for roleplaying and adventure, not taking inventory at the end of the month. I'll pass.

It seems few people actually read my idea, its not planed to play as merchant who owns a shop/crafting junk etc. but to have completely different class which is severally limited in all classic RPG skills and is instead compensated by cash so that player is forced to search for other NPC to perform even the simplest quest. Basically you are forced to play using your brain instead of muscles.

PE is already a tactical strategy game if they follow the BG/IWD models, so you will definitely use your brain ... I think the commander approach where you can't do anything yourself would not work well in practice ... even in strategy games like Majesty it is tough to pull off ... in an RPG you usually have physically weak classes like the Mages or Ciphers (in the PE Universe) that are already limited in what they can accomplish themselves and rely on other members of the party to fill the roles you would want to hire people for ... with party based combat (along the lines of BG/IWD) you already control everybody's actions so I am unclear what you gain from being a merchant general sort of character ... maybe I just don't understand how that would work with the party based system ... why not just be a mage and take a merchant skill ... wouldn't that essentially do the same thing?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” ― Robert E. Howard

:)

I could understand this sort of an idea being used in a generic dungeon crawler like game where you are just going into some dungeon to get rid of the big bad. You'd be the financier of the operation and go a long with it. More money you have the more henchmen you can hire to carry you along the jounrney. PE doesn't sound like that sort of game though and its the sort of thing that would need to be really carefully balanced vs a normal adventuring party and that time could be better spent making the rest of the game better for normal play throughs.

• Like 1

I could understand this sort of an idea being used in a generic dungeon crawler like game where you are just going into some dungeon to get rid of the big bad. You'd be the financier of the operation and go a long with it. More money you have the more henchmen you can hire to carry you along the jounrney. PE doesn't sound like that sort of game though and its the sort of thing that would need to be really carefully balanced vs a normal adventuring party and that time could be better spent making the rest of the game better for normal play throughs.

Yep, player character is something like Don Rickles/

from Kelly's Heroes. 8) Edited by Ivan Bajlo

I'm not saying there is no way to make a fun game out of a merchant character, but I don't see a good way to make a 1P RPG where a merchant can advance the same storyline as a warrior/mage. Unless you have some special type of merchant combat in mind.

I think it would be a lot of work to make this concept interesting AND fit in well with the game, and it's not interesting enough to me that I want Obsidian devoting time to it.