How not to ruin PE with the Beta?

Hi guys

For me, a big part of the "magic" of a new game is getting the box, reading the manual and putting in the DVD for the first time, seeing the loading screens the first time and so on. I don't know how many people share this experience with me.

That brings me to a question I've been thinking about for a long time. It's the same time that I have with open world games. How do I not ruin my gaming experience? Like in Skyrim I was always very careful what to explore because I didn't want to spoil places I shouldn't go to at this time.

Same goes for the upcoming Beta for PE and generally for Betas. How can you actually enjoy a Beta without ruining that "first time"-magic for yourself?

You guys have any tricks? :)

Elan_song.gif

Yeah. Why sign up for the beta if you don't want to spoil the experience?

Like in Skyrim I was always very careful what to explore because I didn't want to spoil places I shouldn't go to at this time.

There aren't any such places in Skyrim. The only one I can think of is Blackreach, but you're spoiling the related quest, not the location itself.

• Like 2

I think it depends on the player---those who are more concerned with mechanics and have a tendency to powergame probably won't care one whit about spoilers.

Here's a specific dev quote on the beta content, though:

It's too early for specifics on the beta test since it's a long ways off right now. I can tell you right now that:

1. You will be able to play the game (in an unfinished state) before it's released and before anyone not in the beta.

2. It won't be the entire game to avoid story spoilers being leaked. (subject to change, but that's the current plan)

Beta's are typically the time when we are finalizing the project, doing game balancing, polishing, play testing, and fixing a ton of bugs. We will be fixing and adjusting aspects of the game during this time as well, but all of the content should be in the game at this point. It should be very similar to other games' beta tests, but probably more personal since you will have direct access to the developer team.

I hope this answers your questions.

• Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Like in Skyrim I was always very careful what to explore because I didn't want to spoil places I shouldn't go to at this time.

There aren't any such places in Skyrim. The only one I can think of is Blackreach, but you're spoiling the related quest, not the location itself.

You know, if it were that easy. To be serious, I just thought maybe you guys found a way, like choosing a entirely different class/character than usual or just... something. Something to take away that aching pain of not-knowing without replacing it with spoiling.

Hey, I never said I'm a rational person. :D

@Ieo, well that's something, thanks :) May be a good start. I should drink a few glasses of Talisker while playing, maybe I'll forget then.

Edited by SophosTheWise

Elan_song.gif

Why can't the beta enhance the magic ... no pun intended ... and anticipation. As noted earlier, the Beta will only be a snapshot of the final product, since it is also about testing and debugging you will get lots of resets and want to try lots of different things you might not normally do in the game. If you think that will ruin your overall enjoyment later, then you might need to abstain ... but if you can treat it as an enjoyable appetizer before you get the scrumptious meal later ... then you can enjoy both and it will only add to your anticipation and enjoyment :dancing:

• Like 1

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” ― Robert E. Howard

:)

I completly understand OP. It is how I feel, but the older I am I find less and less such moments. I guess that is why I feel so strongly about BG. But gameplay has aLot to say. Skyrim visuals were epic, but I found gameplay destilled as it is crossplatform game. I still cant wait for Beta. If game is somewhat by my expectations, than beta wont ruin it, it will make me just play more :D

magic021.jpg

One way to do it is to play radically different from your norm. Are you normally a heroic tank with a love of diplomacy? Play a morally dubious mage with a fondness for property damage and high death tolls!

there will be some things in the game you will still see when you play the full version but the experience will be massively different.

• Like 1

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

What's the problem about the beta? It's not like your are gonna know how the game ends if you play the beta.

I want to play it through the first time...well first time. :p I'm sure Obsidian well get decent feedback from those who are taking part and I don't have anything against those who are. It's just a personal thing. :)

Most "public" betas are usually a very small portion of the game and include a really small portion of the story. They are usually testing for compatibility problems with systems in the wild rather then there test systems showing no problems. You wont spoil much of the game playing in a beta as a general rule.

You know, if it were that easy. To be serious, I just thought maybe you guys found a way, like choosing a entirely different class/character than usual or just... something. Something to take away that aching pain of not-knowing without replacing it with spoiling.

Hey, I never said I'm a rational person. :D

@Ieo, well that's something, thanks :) May be a good start. I should drink a few glasses of Talisker while playing, maybe I'll forget then.

If this were an MMO or something, that could be feasible but in this case that will be difficult. It's unlikely that there will be completely different threads from different starting points (ala DAO) but possible I guess. We wont know for a while. In general it's kinda not possible if you are actually participating in a beta as it is meant to be done, the point is to kinda do and try everything, and or test specific aspects. - EG you wont not find out some things of the story, you will. how much is on the developers and what they decide to release in a beta client.

Edited by syn2083

This is the reason I didn't sign on for the beta and that I might go dark when the meat of the info starts coming out. I really like to experience things fresh :)

Well, I didn't 'sign up' for the beta either. It came packaged in the tier I donated to.

But regardless, what exactly *is* the beta here? If it's an early version of the entire game then I don't see it ruining any experience. You basically get to play the game before everyone else. And if it's just a demo-like thing like most betas tend to be, then it won't be ruining too much.

Edited by Stun

If I'm going to beta test. I'm going to treat it like I was a QA guy. I'm going to try to break the game and tell them where the bugs and mechanics issues are. That's the way I'd do it. I'd treat it like a stress test. See in what ways I can break the game. So no day 0 patches for bugs that beta players didn't find.

• Like 6

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

They could use the first three levels of the Endless Paths as a "Beta" to test combat abilities and balance, without spoiling the main story at all.

That is exactly what I thought. Wouldn't break the main story, but would allow most of the mechanics to shine through :)

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

A Beta can be like the full game, playable from the begin to end, just not as stable.

A beta tester should hunt for bugs, graphic glitches, broken quests, hardware & drivers issues, programs compatibility, test the game balance, then report to the developers.

But from the content of this thread it seems that many donors are actually thinking that they will get to play a huge demo.

And they could be right. It's up to Obsidian. :huh:

I've come to burn your kingdom down

It wwould be nice for those players who didn't want to beta test but got it anyway (higher tiers) to pass on those opportunities to people who would beta test and actually make the game better for it. That rare individual.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

A combat-system beta would be nice, we could get familiar, give our feedback on stuff like the health/stamina scheme, and maybe even compete in a records lst.

Otherwise, I'm not going to use the beta, I really want to play a finished Obsidan game this time :)

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

For me beta can't ruin the game, because I can see them as different experience from final product, and spoilers don't really bother me as in my opinion great plot gets better every time you experience it and you found new viewpoint for the story.