155 members have voted

1. 1. Walking or running?

• Walking
    • Running

Give me a nice normal walking speed. I'm not really sure a "run" makes sense unless they're planning to have tactical escapes. Otherwise I'd rather just be able to walk around town at a decent gate without looking like I'm running everywhere (or worse HAVE to run everywhere because turtles were passing me at the walk speed).

The problem with that is that people will be frustrated with the inability to run, even if you set the walking speed to the same level of what you were planning the running speed to be.

It's a perception thing.

I like to think I'm part of that "people" group and I wouldn't mind it at all. The only time I've ever wanted a running option is when walking is so slow as to be tedious (and there have been some games that think slow walking is the "fun" way to implement movement). My experience has been that a decent walking speed will cause the average player to not care about the ability to run.

The only way running makes sense is if there was a tactical need for it (running away, having an archer run to high ground for the first round so they can get better shots second round). And I'm not sure those reasons make sense in real-time w/pause.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Walking/running rarely makes a difference in gameplay, except in something like Thief. All running please.

To be fair, if you can outspeed our enemies it does give you an advantage.

Marching speed would be best, I think.

Wizardry 8 is a good example of run/walk toggle and stamina mechanics done right.

Care to explain? I've never played any of the Wizardry games.

I like the Idea which someone mentioned earlier. near click - walk , mid click - jog and far click run. Ofc there should be a mechanic done which would make more immerse. For example ppl in heavy armor shouldnt be able to sprint. The walk should be fast. A soldiers march.

@

i like walking, too!

especially in full plate, looking badass

but lemme run if need be

at the cost of stamina bar; where the cost and movement speed are based on the Str(Vit)-Weight comparison

it's simple really

That would only result in unnecessarily slow game. It would be a chore to play Witcher or Torment with a feature like that. There is no point besides forcing sightseeing on player.

Care to explain? I've never played any of the Wizardry games.

The default walking speed in Wiz 8 is just about right for exploration, be it in a town or a hostile outdoor area. Running drains stamina rather quickly (unless you have stamina regenerating abilities or items). This is important as you don't want to get caught when your stamina is down, as that impairs your ability to fight and cast spells. Swinging heavier weapons drains stamina more quickly, and IIRC heavy armor exhausts you more quickly too. Running and walking are both possible in combat.

The only fault I can find with the system is that, when running, you are faster than almost anything else in the game world.

@

i like walking, too!

but lemme run if need be

at the cost of stamina bar; where the cost and movement speed are based on the Str(Vit)-Weight comparison

it's simple really

That would only result in unnecessarily slow game. It would be a chore to play Witcher or Torment with a feature like that. There is no point besides forcing sightseeing on player.

it only depends on the map layout, rly

@

i like walking, too!

but lemme run if need be

it's simple really

it only depends on the map layout, rly

I guess it wouldn't be a problem if cities were tiny. Otherwise travelling through the same location many times would get really annoying really fast. IE games are one of the few popular RPGs that don't allow you to jog through time and they still allowed you to always run in PS:T.

Edited by BasaltineBadger

ok, i'll say it again: jagged alliance 2 :biggrin:

JA2 didn't really involved a lot of backtracking or large cities, and wasn't even an RPG. It's a fine system when most of the game is about walking through locations filled with enemies, but not where you have to ha back and forth in a friendly city to do some quest.

well, doesn't really have to be the exact copy of that system

just a

a one way to look at how it can play out

with given additions and balance

Turn stamina usage off in friendly areas?

or! perhaps make it somewhat involved with "in combat" \ "not in combat"

as i recall, The Witcher 1 had this "danger meter" in many areas

i guess it affected the chance of monster spawn in the area or smth, but ->

-> carefuly placed, that variable might work with the stamina regen from time to time

and perhaps after fully clearing an area of enemies, the peaceful music kicks in

and we're free to jogg all around with only half stamina cost!

yay!

ideas, ideas

well, doesn't really have to be the exact copy of that system

just a

a one way to look at how it can play out

with given additions and balance

Turn stamina usage off in friendly areas?

or! perhaps make it somewhat involved with "in combat" \ "not in combat"

as i recall, The Witcher 1 had this "danger meter" in many areas

i guess it affected the chance of monster spawn in the area or smth, but ->

-> carefuly placed, that variable might work with the stamina regen from time to time

and perhaps after fully clearing an area of enemies, the peaceful music kicks in

and we're free to jogg all around with only half stamina cost!

yay!

ideas, ideas

If you don't mind jogging through cities this whole discussion was pointless, really.

I never got the point of having a walking option. My attention span is far to short to walk everywhere, It takes about a second to admire my surroundings and If I wan't to do so I'll stand still, If I'm trying to go somewhere, I wan't to get where I'm going.

I preferred the BG2 walking speed, which was quite a bit faster than in BG.

Erm, no it wasn't. You could set the BG speed so high (if your computer could hack it) that the characters looked like they were on meth. It was hilarious.

Overall game speed is a separate issue from walking speed.

I would like to see:

Walking/Running toggle

when running stamina will go down

I would love to see running in combat. Always bothered me when my mage is getting slamed by orc and my warrior is on the walk

I can image that game can count how far enemy is and if there is obstacles in way and if player click to attack on enemy which is futher away my character should perform charge attacks. I can see it combined with thief charging for backstab whould be cool as well. Charge attack should take account if its taken from back/side or front. If its from flanking position I could see +dmg and maybe knock down or stun. If its charge from front i can see penalty for hit chance and lowered defence for short time but again +dmg. I think that charging should not be restricted to warrior only, as anybody is able to run.

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Planescape Torment had it perfect. Walking by default, shif + click running. Maybe losing stamina while running would add a great edge to it.

2 atoms walk into a bar, the one says " I believe i have lost an electron!" the other says " Are you sure?" the first atom says " I'm positive! "