155 members have voted

1. 1. Walking or running?

• Walking
    • Running

they wish!

didn't even play through New Vegas, despite all the good talk around it

besides, there's not just "always-run", there's actually "auto-run" shortkey

so morrowind clones are something to be mentioned the least, as an example of "walker" fan's preference

also, fast travel is what guys-in-a-hurry should rather be favoring, as one might assume =]

so, Bethesda >and< EA

$cha-ching!$

Why walk when you can ride?

• Like 1

they wish!

so morrowind clones are something to be mentioned the least, as an example of "walker" fan's preference

also, fast travel is what guys-in-a-hurry should rather be favoring, as one might assume =]

so, Bethesda >and< EA

$cha-ching!$

Morrowind clone? Where? I've never heard of a Morrowind clone.

didn't vote

cause, you know: STAMINA based system

there will be runing even if u don't wanna :biggrin:

But Stamina, last I heard, is going to be the basic unit of damage which can be inflicted upon characters (with health representing a sub-level whose depletion results in permanent death,) whose total loss results in unconsciousness. If you could KO your characters or enter battle in wounded states just by running around it would not be very much fun to play.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

I preferred the BG2 walking speed, which was quite a bit faster than in BG.

Erm, no it wasn't. You could set the BG speed so high (if your computer could hack it) that the characters looked like they were on meth. It was hilarious.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

they wish!

so, Bethesda >and< EA

$cha-ching!$

Why walk when you can ride?

Of course I had to hear that last line in a Dunmer voice, Morrowind style. Thanks for making me miss that game all over again... (whistles 'Nerevar Rising')

On topic, I very much liked rjshae's idea of making the party more easily spotted or heard when running. That way, if you already cleared an area or if you are in a neutral zone like, most of the time, a city or town, then the penalty is irrelevant. But running in a dungeon could get you ambushed if you aren't careful.

• Like 1
vaultdweller.jpg

What's the matter with you, foo's? Didn't yo mama teach you to play sum NWN, yo?

Because project infinity should do it like that, word on tha street! Default is light jogging, but if you enter 'detect' mode, you enter walking speed, but on the plus side, your character/characters will be more aware to their surrounding, increasing Search/Spot/Listen/Detect traps.

PEACE OUT!

Edit: You're not really foo's. I just enjoy talkin' like a middle-class white gangsta

Edited by -Zin-
  • Like 2

Stamina for running always becomes tiresome to me, nor is it "realistic", exactly. Trained humans can run all day and all night without ill effects. Persistence hunters do this, chasing 4-legged game animals until those animals fall over from exhaustion. Heck, during the historic Route 66 race, some of the one-day stretches were 70+ miles, and they ran day after day without a break. Our body layout is actually pretty mechanically advantageous over long distances.

Not exactly true... Humans don't have a mechanical advantage, it's the ability to sweat that allows persistence hunting. I believe what happens is that, in very hot midday sun (like temperatures in excess of 40 degrees C), the animal cannot maintain a rapid pace because it will overheat and need to rest in shade. The human, on the other hand, can sweat the heat away and continue a slow pursuit. In temperate climates where the extreme heat is not an issue, persistence hunting not feasible, because the animals are better at travelling long distances than we are. But I'm not an expert in the topic (I certainly have never done it lol).

Anyways, very few humans can run like this. So while perhaps your warrior with like 26 CON could run continuously (and that's asking a lot when he's got 100lb of gear on), what about the 11 CON skinny mage? Not everyone going to be a marathon runner.

So, I support the idea of a rapid walk as the standard pace, maybe with a limited time "sprint" option for when youre trying to run away from something really big and angry, and youre like "why is my dude WALKING??"

Edited by jb.

Ok this is how walking and running can be done in this game:

You can toggle between run and walk.

When you run, your focus is distracted. When you encounter the enemy you become "flat-footed" which means that you cannot make special actions (cast difficult spells and abilities) for some moments depending on a character skill rating/feat/attribute bonus.

When you walk, you don't become flatfooted when encountering an enemy. Its called "tactical advance"

Also walking may just increase line of sight.

Only boring people get bored

I liked the way I could walk or run, without any sort of annoying side effects in PS:T. The only thing I wouldn't mind is making more noise the faster you go. Otherwise if you drain stamina is your character going to run until they fall unconscious? (and then you have to sit around waiting while their stamina goes up again) Or go into a surprise fight and fall unconscious after one hit? That would just be really annoying. Other penalties would be alright I guess, but they would still put me off using the run ability. Because if I'm using it most of the time it will be to speed up my progress in the game (it's not that I want to complete it super fast, but that my free time is limited).

I won't really care if there is walk or run if there's something where I can increase the frames per second like I could in BG (though that had a limit of 60) and BG2 (no limit, I went right up to 100, woo :D ). Yes it messes up/skips dialogue a bit sometimes, but on my 7th playthrough it made things so much better/faster.

Voted for "running".

Don't y'all remember the irritation of slowly walking everywhere in BG2? The joy of learning about debug mode and Ctrl-J?

I'd prefer:

- always running, no fatigue penalties as in DA:O

- default running, no fatigue penalties, shift-click walking

- default walking, shift-click running, no fatigue penalties, "always run" toggle

Noise/detection/distraction penalties when running could be okay, but fatigue/exhaustion systems tend to be annoying rather than game-enhancing.

Edited by ddillon

Walking/running rarely makes a difference in gameplay, except in something like Thief. All running please.

I like BG-style movement speeds in general, maybe with the option to run (or just default run) during combat.

edit: The problem with a run/walk toggle is that those games are built as if everyone runs all the time. Meaning if you walk, things are just incredibly tedious. I felt the walking speed in the infinity engine games was reasonable enough to get around without being bored, but not so fast that the world felt tiny, or everyone looked weird sprinting everywhere.

Edited by The Guilty Party

I prefer the Baldur's Gate walking tbh, but whatever. As long as it's smooth.

Too many changes to the 'magic IE formula' won't make it feel like an IE game anymore.

Edited by Sensuki

From the many RPGs that I've played, I noticed that when you have running in the game (as in Shift Click to run), then walking is usually ridiculously slow, and you pretty much have to resort to running to get anywhere, whereas in games that only have walking (like Baldur's Gate), the walking is usually done at a brisk pace, which is just perfect. Running looks bad and kinda ruins the immersion for me. How many times do people run in the real world? Very rarely, only if there's some emergency, while usually they walk, and when your characters runs, it just looks bad. So I am definitely for Baldur's Gate type of brisk walking.

Both? I didn't vote.

I would like to be able to run, of course then there's the question of "Stamina" involved when running in battle, and out of battle will it effect it? Tactical maneuvering and such get heavily effected.

To be honest, instead of running I would like to see "dodge" as a mechanic, Kingdom Hearts style (Dodge Roll) which I think P:E can only benefit from. So many times have I wanted to just leap into safety when I see an incoming Fireball that I can only watch from Pause menu and scratch my head about and sigh ^^

Running all the way, this is an adventure, not sightseeing, I don't have time to slowly walk from one place to another.

this is exactly the type of player attitude EA makes money on :biggrin:

This is the exact type of player Bethesda makes money on. Fan of hiking simulators. Never confuse him with an RPG enthusiast.

they wish!

so, Bethesda >and< EA

$cha-ching!$

Fast travel was in IE games and was the only way to travel from city to another location in BG 2 and FO 1&2. Are you one of the people who thought that Witcher is not an RPG because it didn't let him walk through the city with some specific camera mode on? What does running has to do with fast travel anyway. I don't even know if you are serious or just trolling, judging by pointless assumption and coloring random words I will assume the latter.

Edited by BasaltineBadger

there was no fast travel, really

there were forced location switchings

under the mask of fast travel :yes:

the only thing that indicated it, was the number of hours spent on "traveling" between maps, in the chat log

not counting city parts, which had shortcuts to one-another, also involving "pls wait, loading" ofcourse

dunno what's your point is, i love the Witcher

both book series and game series

imo, he can always run cause he's almost-trained-to-death mutant :grin:

and doesn't carry too much full plates around

(not counting the 2nd game though; inventory there seriously went Final Fantasy, just with a bit of weight limit)

I think it would be better to have a run/walk toggle. 95% of the time you'll be running but it's nice to be able to walk if you want. Plus if you are 'sneaking' then you can only walk so you'll have a 'walk mode' regardless.

Stamina based running is a bad idea. You just want to get from point A to point B, why add it stamina to punish you for that? It's not like it would make a difference in combat.

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

people should make tactical decisions on what to carry around

and what to store in an appropriate place

and get penalties for not caring about it, that's all

thus stamina expenditure on running and fatigue on travel are awesome just for that part of tactical fun

plus there can always be some thingies to quickly regain your stamina spent on running

like simple spells, or cheap red bull :yes: potions

Give me a nice normal walking speed. I'm not really sure a "run" makes sense unless they're planning to have tactical escapes. Otherwise I'd rather just be able to walk around town at a decent gate without looking like I'm running everywhere (or worse HAVE to run everywhere because turtles were passing me at the walk speed).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Give me a nice normal walking speed. I'm not really sure a "run" makes sense unless they're planning to have tactical escapes. Otherwise I'd rather just be able to walk around town at a decent gate without looking like I'm running everywhere (or worse HAVE to run everywhere because turtles were passing me at the walk speed).

The problem with that is that people will be frustrated with the inability to run, even if you set the walking speed to the same level of what you were planning the running speed to be.

It's a perception thing.

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

I think a nice brisk default walking pace like in BG would be great.

In addition though, what do you guys think about the characters breaking into a jog if you click a destination offscreen? The rationale being if you're clicking a distant destination, you kinda want them to hightail it.

Edited by Justinian