RPG cliches you hope to see avoided and/or mocked

new powerful menacing looking foes turn out to be comical push overs. Your party is barely surviving fighting off ravenous wolves. Then you encounter a town being burned to the ground by beastly looking goat demons lead by what appears to be a powerful looking sorcerer... But it turns out the village idiot completed his quest watching goats given to him by the town elder. He uncovered a magical stone that turned his goats into demons and he assumed leadership over them. Finally having his revenge on the the rest of the villagers by having his goat demons roam throughout town and scare everyone into their homes to only be burnt alive.

Useless authority/military/law enforcement figures who depend on the hero to do their job.

It gets worse if you begin the game as a clueless wimp whose boots are clearly too big for him.

- Lands of Lore1: you are the king's champion for no apparent reason

- Wizardry 8: you're hired as bodyguards but you can't fight a rat without dying

- Icewind Dale 1: you're hired as caravan guards when there are yetis and **** in the mountains who can kill you with a mean stare

- practically every single Ultima

This will probably not happen in PE but I just want to make sure that idea doesn't get lost along the way.

To be fair, in IWD1 you're part of what's supposed to be a fairly large contingent of people, so I don't think its that crazy. You were joining a large group organized by a former adventurer, not supposed to be the sole defenders of the caravan.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

To be fair, in IWD1 you're part of what's supposed to be a fairly large contingent of people, so I don't think its that crazy. You were joining a large group organized by a former adventurer, not supposed to be the sole defenders of the caravan.

Still, they paid you for the job. It's not like you just ended up on that caravan.

I'd be happy if the story will not be about killing evil wizard to save the world, and in meantime save dragon and kill princess... or is it kill princess first then save dragon? :biggrin: (heh if they actually pull this one though I will be in heaven, once just once I want this cliche in reversed roles). After all even FF7 story in cube is about "saving" princess, killing powerful evil figure and saving the world on a last minute, I think folks in Obsidian will pull something daring and original and can't wait to see it.

• Like 1

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.

I particularly hate the "Ancient evil is returning to consume the world of the living" cliche. Maybe some ancient evil fellow could come along swinging a club and be shot in the head by a newer villain or something like that. Maybe a whole tribe of evil man-eating cavemen could be accidentally woken up and then slaughtered by another villain.

Then there is the hero with a giant sword, there could maybe be a young boy who tries to fight someone but is unable to lift his oversized and extremely heavy sword.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

I don't think it's always obvious how powerful someone is. Also, levels are just game mechanics, not a thing the characters are aware of. Even if the characters started at level 5, the challenges would be accordingly tougher and the "problem" would remain.

The problem consists only in the story/ premise. I'm not asking for an easy introduction, but for a believable plot. If your character gets killed by rats, he shouldn't be some king's first choice for a dangerous mission, or a bodyguard.

I think Fable 1 did a great job at creating a believeable starting plot, (except for the whole guild business), you start as a kid and go trough some trials as you become a promising hero candidate, and your choices influence some friends/rivals... I'd like to see something like this again, maybe with a little touch from Dragon Age starting stories... it could be part of the character generation, and as you age you could add new perks/skills/talents/feats on the go.

This will avoid the "omg I finally hit that rat/goblin" cause for a kid these monsters are a real threat... imagine a peaceful village attacked by goblins, and your kidself has to fight for her/his life, barely escaping death and no home to return... maybe than the PC would have to provide for smaller sisters/brothers and so the PC has to start adventuring...

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves: You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (RIP!)

I particularly hate the "Ancient evil is returning to consume the world of the living" cliche. Maybe some ancient evil fellow could come along swinging a club and be shot in the head by a newer villain or something like that. Maybe a whole tribe of evil man-eating cavemen could be accidentally woken up and then slaughtered by another villain.

Then there is the hero with a giant sword, there could maybe be a young boy who tries to fight someone but is unable to lift his oversized and extremely heavy sword.

Maybe at last we could see an ancient GOOD returning XD and it looks around and sees: "omg what's with all these evil f*ckers around here, let's deal with 'em!"

Edited by necromate

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves: You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (RIP!)