Aumaua Suggestion: Giant bi-ped River Rats

Rats are very intelligent animals, they have no fear of water and in fact are great swimmers, they are notorious for stowing away on ships, and are found in abundance near any source of water.

All we know about the Aumaua is that they are large and they live near the water.

Imagine a giant bi-ped humanoid river rat, long tail, hunched posture, able to jump long distances, fast reflexes, doesn't fear anything, and highly intelligent.

For reference think of the movie: The Secret of Nym.

Also think about the character Reepicheep from the C. S. Lewis book "Voyage of the Dawntreader".

A large bi-ped humanoid (Player Character) Rat race has never been done before in any game of which I am aware.

(EDIT: Just to clarify, I know that rat-folk exist in D&D and a lot of other settings, but as far as I am aware I've never seen a game where rat-folk were used as a PLAYER CHARACTER race. But of course, I could be wrong about that.)

I think this would lead to some very interesting romance threads.

<3

Edited by metacontent
  • Like 1

In a video game? Very few - I can only think of teenage mutant ninja turtles games. In tabletop games? Just about every fantasy roleplaying game setting has them, though in varying frequency. In pathfinder the Ratkin, in darksun the Tari. I do think the idea it interesting - though I'd hope they used some better hygene. I completely forgot about Planescape: Torment, and I think warhammer fantasy and 40k have some rat-like race.

Edited by UncleBourbon

Okay, just to clear it up, I meant that "race has never been done before in any game of which I am aware" + as a playable race.

Yes, I know there are rat-folk in lots of games, including D&D and others, but I've never heard of any games where they were used as a Player Character race.

Okay, just to clear it up, I meant that "race has never been done before in any game of which I am aware" + as a playable race.

Yes, I know there are rat-folk in lots of games, including D&D and others, but I've never heard of any games where they were used as a Player Character race.

Heh, I didn't mean to nitpick. If anything, I was trying to cite precendence - I think having a rodent-esque race would be an interesting spin on things. Then again, the appearance and all might throw me off a bit. I would at least hope that you could use a bite attack.

I'd be happy to have a race of rat people in a game....if there's also a race of cat people. They can be constantly at war with each other, and you have to pick sides, or help them make a truce, or be constantly keeping your cat person companion from eating your rat person companion...

....I'm not sure if I'm actually serious or not. :disguise:

• Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'd be happy to have a race of rat people in a game....if there's also a race of cat people. They can be constantly at war with each other, and you have to pick sides, or help them make a truce, or be constantly keeping your cat person companion from eating your rat person companion...

Talk about a game of cat and mouse.....

I'm not sure if you're serious either, but I am sure that I love this idea.

Make rat-folk playable, but not cat-folk, because cat-folk actually completely understand what souls are and how they work, they just choose not to share that knowledge with anyone else.

I wouldn't mind it, but I'd really like a couple of sub-races then as well, think hamsters, guinea pigs and otters would be sweet.

And let their leader be an old, wise, giant miniature giant space hamster who've truly traveled around the world.

Giant space hamster companion? NOnonononono... please... no....

What about something alien-resembling instead (but still antropomorphic)? Like the race of chiana from farscape? Please don't put any races from the tini ninja turtles in pe...

...no humanoid rats or turtles...

[miniature] Giant space hamster companion? NOnonononono... please... no....

What about something alien-resembling instead (but still antropomorphic)? Like the race of chiana from farscape? Please don't put any races from the tini ninja turtles in pe...

...no humanoid rats or turtles...

Edited by UncleBourbon