How would this be functional in the game?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

In all my years playing games - Baldur's gate, Icewind, Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim, Fallout, Mass Effect, Assasins Creed, KOTR there has only been one that I can remember that at advanced levels allowed you the ability to fly: Might and Magic VII I believe.

I understand it's difficult to get it to all work - it's worth it! The ability to fly around to places that you normally couldn't get to on foot is WAY COOL. I'm always hopeful, and alwyas disappointed, whenever I crack open that new game and it isn't there. :|

Way to much work and $$$$ to make that happen IMHO

~Seattle Supersonic of the Obsidian Order~

Chris Hansen is the Savior of Seattle

In all my years playing games - Baldur's gate, Icewind, Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim, Fallout, Mass Effect, Assasins Creed, KOTR there has only been one that I can remember that at advanced levels allowed you the ability to fly: Might and Magic VII I believe.

I understand it's difficult to get it to all work - it's worth it! The ability to fly around to places that you normally couldn't get to on foot is WAY COOL. I'm always hopeful, and alwyas disappointed, whenever I crack open that new game and it isn't there. :|

Way to much work and $$$$ to make that happen IMHO

As a personal point-to-point I might agree. Realistically, the mechanics and everything could probably be adapted from the teleport spell removed from BG2 (it wouldn't let you teleport into solid objects, but basically to/from any location with a walkpath space large enough to fit the character). Animations might take a bit of time. Implementing flight and making it significant would take a bit more time and energy.

I would be down with flight and other special mobility options if it provided a method of traveling specific geometry. In other words, if they make an obstruction, it would have to be specially flagged as flyable or whatever. Then you could have fights where people that could fly would have an advantage of being able to zip around easier. An easy example would be a floating island map where only fliers can travel over air spaces.

But it's probably too much work to actually implement, and it's not something you can just carelessly toss in.