Windows 8 Impressions

Bokishi

Just upgraded last night, here are some quick impressions, feel free to post yours also

Pros:

Great Multi monitor support without having to use 3rd party hacks, native blu ray support, built in anti virus, games do run a bit faster, really fast boot up and shut down

Cons:

Interface takes way getting used to, some driver issues with sound card

Edited by Bokishi

I'm still of the opinion that Windows8 is going to be what shoves me into finally being a Linux user, once Win7 became no longer viable. There are some features about Win8 that sound ok/appealing, but for my old fashioned self, not enough to put up with the things that I think sound horrid. I still don't even love Win7. :p

But I will definitely be interested in what people who use it for a while have to say.

• Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just upgraded last night, here are some quick impressions, feel free to post yours also

Pros:

Great Multi monitor support without having to use 3rd party hacks, native blu ray support, built in anti virus, games do run a bit faster, really fast boot up and shut down

Cons:

Interface takes way getting used to, some driver issues with sound card

Blu-ray support? I remember that MS state a while back that not only would there be no Blu-ray support, but no native DVD support either in Win8. Something about royalties or somesuch. Hmmm, must investigate further.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Interesting, hadn't heard anything of that. Blu-ray support is a pretty big deal because it costs a fair chunk of cash to get proper support in Win7. Unfortunately Google is being a completely useless bastard when queried about actual support: it just returns page after page of copy-pasted articles from May about the removal of DVD playback, and nothing about the situation *now*.

Microsoft's Win8 site is even more useless, offering the key for the Media pack but hardly a word of what it does.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

With how much time I spent reading about Windows 8 I decided that I would end up spending more time reading more about it than just figuring it out. So I just installed it and am using it now. I was expecting it to be much worse than it is. It's actually nice. Although switching between Metro and the desktop for applications is a bit of a hassle.

The biggest surprise is that it has a compatibility mode. That made me very happy as I have a lot of old games. Sites had said Microsoft got rid of it, but they decided to put it back in. There are modes from 95 to 7. I am very happy that it runs Neverwinter Nights, which was one of the reasons I was hesitant to upgrade.

I will post more once I have used the operating system more.

• Like 1

No Windows since '98 has ever been worth upgrading at launch. Half of them were never worth it at all, while the other half didn't have so many benefits that it couldn't wait a couple of service packs.

• Like 2

Another pro is its really cheap @ $39, vs the $300 I spent on Win 7 Ultimate a few years ago

Interesting, hadn't heard anything of that. Blu-ray support is a pretty big deal because it costs a fair chunk of cash to get proper support in Win7. Unfortunately Google is being a completely useless bastard when queried about actual support: it just returns page after page of copy-pasted articles from May about the removal of DVD playback, and nothing about the situation *now*.

Microsoft's Win8 site is even more useless, offering the key for the Media pack but hardly a word of what it does.

Here check this http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6642

• Like 1

Good to have confirmation. I'm using Arcsoft Totalmedia Theatre + AnyDVD HD right now for my HTPC and probably will stick to that for years to come, but am thinking of building a second one, sans the terabytes of storage, as secondary device for a bedroom or whatever. An AMD Trinity (A10) based miniITX box will probably be home to Win8 if the pricing is competitive and the media support is there - primarily Blu-ray and FLAC.

I am aware that I technically can get away with playing the main feature on discs with the basic support that the likes of MPC-HC and VLC have under Win7, but I like my extras. :)

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm still of the opinion that Windows8 is going to be what shoves me into finally being a Linux user, once Win7 became no longer viable. There are some features about Win8 that sound ok/appealing, but for my old fashioned self, not enough to put up with the things that I think sound horrid. I still don't even love Win7. :p

But I will definitely be interested in what people who use it for a while have to say.

I'm pretty much in the same camp. I'm tolerating Windows 7, but Windows 8 is making me seriously consider going across to linux

fwul38.jpg

"There's a bodybag out there with that scudball's name on it, and I'm doing up the zip. Anyone who gets in my way gets a napalm enema. "

- Lister

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 on my Win 7 comp 3 days ago. I dual boot until Steam comes out for Ubuntu early next year.

Works like a charm. I've used Ubuntu before, so there will be things to get used to for people new to Linux.

But that's just as true for Windows 8, too. ;) Folders, the task bar, Chrome, Open/Libre Office, Firefox, VLC, torrents, etc all work just as you would expect them to on pretty much any OS. And so will Steam soon.

I used it for an hour on a mate's laptop. No way. It's Windows 7 with a **** new skin that GUI designers have stated is confusing and non-intuitive. Hello Vista ME. But hey, I never liked the upgrade from XP to Windows 7, either (and still don't).

Hint: you don't need to uninstall, backup, or in any way do anything about your Windows install for Ubuntu to install itself as an OS option for selection at boot while completely preserving your Windows install.

Edited by Krezack

I will use whatever lets me play games without complications... Which unfortunately means I'll have to eventually put up with win 8.

I'm hoping that Steam's desire to start supporting Linux will mean I won't feel as constrained re: gaming in the future/before Win7 isn't viable anymore. At least for the newer games. I'll always have some old rig set up with XP or Win7 to play older games, for as long as I can maintain a machine that will run those older O/S. I know you can play some games on Linux now, but it's still not where I'd want it to be.

Someone elsewhere posted this Tom's Hardware assessment of gaming performance of Win7 vs. Win8, in case anyone hasn't seen it yet/is interested in that aspect. Doesn't appear to be any real difference.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331.html

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm sure we'll go at least 3 years before sticking with Win7 becomes a real nuisance. I doubt I'll need to care about Win8 before Project Eternity comes out.

Am curious as to the consequences for mobiles though. Will Windows Phone now use Win8, and does that provide any superior functionality in any way? E.g. true multitasking?

I was curious about Windows 8, but checking Microsofts website, it looks like only the upgrade version is for sale at the moment. By upgrade, they mean literally that you have to create a mess on your PC by first installing an old windows and then pile Windows 8 on top of it. If it had just been a product key upgrade, I might have been tempted to upgrade my old Windows XP key.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, I don't think Win8 retail is available just yet, though the OEM version is available I think.

That said, it looks like there are workarounds available to force an upgrade copy to work on a clean install, but of course it's not officially supported.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Not unless you have a touch screen. Windows 8 is practically built for touch. Right now I'm streaming my computer screen to my ipad using splashtop - http://www.splashtop.com/win8 , and operating it with the win8 touch controls and gestures, it's a really fun way to use the os, and possibly a wave of the future, being able to use a tablet that is backed by advanced desktop hardware

• Like 1

Not unless you have a touch screen. Windows 8 is practically built for touch. Right now I'm streaming my computer screen to my ipad using splashtop - http://www.splashtop.com/win8 , and operating it with the win8 touch controls and gestures, it's a really fun way to use the os, and possibly a wave of the future, being able to use a tablet that is backed by advanced desktop hardware

It won't be Windows that pulls this off, though.

Canonical (the guys behind Ubuntu Linux) have demonstrated merging the kernel of Android Linux and Ubuntu Linux such that when you dock your Android phone or tablet or smart TV or whatever, it switches seamlessly to full desktop Ubuntu, with the phone's existing 3G and/or wireless connections providing internet access. You can take calls in Ubuntu, access past SMS's and send new ones, make video calls, etc. You can also open up Chrome or Firefox, and when you do so it loads all the tabs you had open in your broswer in Android before you docked the phone.

This is only possible because Ubuntu and Android share the same Linux kernel. Ubuntu demonstrated it in February and is in the process of seeking OEMs like HTC or LG or Samsung to build it into their Android phone. Unfortunately they can't release it to individuals because it requires closed-source driver access to fully utilise the hardware (Qualcomm, ARM drivers, etc) which only the OEMs have access to. So an Android phone builder needs to work with them.

But if one does... well, I can picture a future where I have Ubuntu and Steam for Ubuntu on my smartphone **** desktop (note to mods: c-u-m is not a dirty word - fix this!).

*Both Ubuntu and Android run at the same time on the device' date=' without emulation or virtualization, and without the need to reboot. This is possible because both Ubuntu and Android share the same kernel (Linux).[1']

*When the device is connected to a desktop monitor, it features a standard Ubuntu Desktop interface.[1]

*When the device is connected to a TV, the interface featured is the Ubuntu TV experience.[4]

*Ability to run standard Ubuntu Desktop applications, like Firefox, Thunderbird, VLC, etc.[6]

*Ability to run Android applications on the Ubuntu Desktop.[7]

*Make and receive calls and SMSs directly from the Desktop.[6][8]

February 2012 video:

Official Ubuntu for Android website: http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

Wikipedia description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_for_Android

Interestingly, Ubuntu for Android + Steam would be a push back in the direction of Intel over ARM, because you (as a company) wouldn't need to recompile any of your Steam games for the ARM platform to make them work on Android smartphones. Intel mobile chips have now become fairly energy efficient.

Edited by Krezack

Windows 8 makes me think I'll probably be clinging to Win7 for about as long as I clung to XP, barring some great Linux gaming revolution I'll check back on Microsoft in 2019 :)

Same here.

It just looks so... ugly.

Who the heck wants a freaking phone interface on their PC with oversized boxes for everything. Pretty much everyone I know likes their desktop clean and with few icons as possible. The rest piles it up with as much icons as possible.

This interface fits neither group.

When I first saw W8's main screen (admittedly, about 2 weeks ago. I care *that* much) I though it was a joke. Sadly, nope...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Aaargh.. Ffs.. Well.. okay.. Small problem with this editor in Windows 8 Pro IE10.. Tried to enable the virtual keyboard, but that didn't solve anything other than adding a weird post here.. I have to paste newlines from Wordpad here..

I've been using Windows XP for about ten years, but when I saw that I could get the Windows 8 Pro online for $39.95 I ran out of objections. First I tried the Upgrade Assistant which informed me about the incompatible parts and provided links for upgrades, which was pretty neat. I bought it online last thursday and installed it. It was just like buying a game for Steam. Nice and smooth installation, but I was a bit confused about the general lack of choices and especially the lack of a 32/64bit choice and I thought maybe it's all 64bit now.. But unfortunately it turns out that the lack of choice is because the online version is 32 bit only and to install the 64 bit version you need it on DVD.. Guess I kind of missed that part, so I now I still got nine GB's of unusable memory.

So far I've seen a few improvements, but I generally find the lack of a Start button to be very annoying and I haven't figured out how to customize the interface yet apart from restoring my toolbar option.. I've just added a Start button, which brings back some Windows XP flavour, but it's not native to the system and the version I found isn't quite as easy to use as the original.

I generally avoid the Metro interface and spend most of my time in Desktop mode. There is just something about that Metro interface that fills me with strange sense of claustrophobia.. I just can't breathe in that environment and the way I have to shut down this beast.. There are so many menus..

Well my internet speed has doubled.. And both my CPU and my GFX runs much cooler and more efficient than on Windows XP. I can still run all my old DOSBox games and even OpenTTD.

Edited by Janmanden

(Signatures: disabled) 

I'm getting some crappy stuttering when watching full screen video or listening to iTunes. It's only with this OS and kinda makes me want to reinstall 7

That's strange. I haven't had problems doing those two things. Although I have had problems with the computer slowing down while doing other things.