Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hotkeys.

interface keyboard mouse pc ui user interface

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

mstark

mstark

Oblivious of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

if my hand's on the mouse most of the time in the game, I'd rather not reach too far across the keyboard (1 to Backspace, F1-F12) or check that I'm getting the right keys to get things done.

Good you brought this up, since this is a very important point for a well designed hotkey system.

StarCraft 2 (and to an extent, 1) made sure to keep all hotkeys to the left side of the keyboard. The main keys you'd be using are CTRL, SHIFT and 1-6, so anything else you may have to access placed in their vicinity.

Windows 8 has its hotkeys concentrated around the Win (flag) keys (both right and left on most keyboards), since this is used to trigger most new hotkeys (so many good ones).

The standard way of placing your hand on the keyboard for IE games, I believe, is your thumb on the space bar (pause), your pointing finger on Q (quick save), and your index finger on TAB (highlight interactive items). Z is used for resting, and the number keys + ctrl/shift for selecting characters, and F# keys for abilities. It covers pretty much 99% of usage scenarios while in the game window, all neatly placed on the left side of the keyboard.

Jarmo

Jarmo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well for a game lkke this being able to use the mouse for everything is more important I think. I'm sure there will be hotkeys for most things though.

This.
I tend to play RPG's (well, all good games actually) for pretty long stretchs at a time.
When the going is not intense, I prefer a more laidback position to being crouched over the keyboard.
KotOR was excellent, being able to run about and doing most everything using only one hand on the mouse.

Also because when I played KotOR the first time, I had had nervous injury on my left hand and had to make do with only the right.
Surprisingly many games are totally unplayable unless you have both hands available. I think I also played NWN 1-handed.

Understandable with keyboard + mouse shooters, but no hurry rpg's should really be able to do better.
  • Cluas likes this

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts

Well for a game lkke this being able to use the mouse for everything is more important I think. I'm sure there will be hotkeys for most things though.

This.
I tend to play RPG's (well, all good games actually) for pretty long stretchs at a time.
When the going is not intense, I prefer a more laidback position to being crouched over the keyboard.
KotOR was excellent, being able to run about and doing most everything using only one hand on the mouse.

Also because when I played KotOR the first time, I had had nervous injury on my left hand and had to make do with only the right.
Surprisingly many games are totally unplayable unless you have both hands available. I think I also played NWN 1-handed.

Understandable with keyboard + mouse shooters, but no hurry rpg's should really be able to do better.

mouse will always be fully implemented. guis are standard. unfort. keyboards have fallen to the wayside.

Kore

Kore

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Personally hotkeys aren't too important to me since PE will be a pause based game. The minimum that I require is space = pause, Q (not A, not F5, Q! ^^)= quicksave and pressing the hotkey for a page, such as map, while the map is open closes it. For some bizarre reason it really annoys me when nothing happens when I press M with map open.

Fully customisable works for me though :)
  • Cluas likes this

HansKrSG

HansKrSG

True Dreamer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I am sure that on 3 pages, someone else has mentioned this, but; Let us customize those hotkeys as well.

TheForumTroll

TheForumTroll

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

^basically this. most power users don't even use the mouse. an example in the real world is excel power users in the banking industry. They train you basically to do everything with the keyboard using shortcuts and hotkeys... :)

a keyboard is innately superior than a mouse in speed and precision.

No :no:

The "keyboard is innately superior than a mouse in speed and precision" is only in some specific applications - like excel - but in games more often than not it is far from the best tool. I'm sure you wouldn't play Call of Duty or Counter-strike with keyboard only and hope to survive. It is mouse only, joypad only, joystick and keyboard or keyboard and mouse that is superior -not keyboard only- in almost every single game. Most applications of keyboard only superiority is when you only have to do one thing over and over again (like typing or working in excel cells).

I'm a power user myself, but a good power uses uses the best tools for the job. I'm not saying I disagree on the importance of good hotkeys, but please don't try to paint keyboard only as superior in games. I do think lots of customizable hotkeys are a great idea, but never instead of a good way to do it with the mouse and especially not in a way that makes playing with the mouse worse in any tiny way, like expecting people to have to use hotkeys if they don't want to.

With that said, I would rather have a few customizable hotkeys than a lot that cannot be customized (arrow keys for the map or camera as someone wrote? Oh god no, my shoulders hurt just thinking about playing with the arms and hands so close together for hours of gameplay. WASD or customizable keys please) :yes:
  • cdx and Hormalakh like this

Zombra

Zombra

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The "keyboard is innately superior than a mouse in speed and precision" is only in some specific applications - like excel - but in games more often than not it is far from the best tool.

Depends on the game. Your first-person shooter examples are well taken - and I don't think anyone would try to make the case that keyboard only is superior for those games - because screen location is EVERYTHING in those games. However, not all games are first-person shooters. Apples and oranges. The ONLY thing critical about selecting a screen location in Project Eternity will be in target selection. It's not a twitch game, where you have to click fast on the enemy to shoot him with an arrow. You just have to tell the game "I want character #4 to shoot an arrow at Target B." It's the game that makes the "to hit" roll, and player precision is (or should be) totally unnecessary. This is the kind of communication that can easily be done with a mouse, to be sure ... but I maintain that it can be done more efficiently with a keyboard.

Edited by Zombra, 05 December 2012 - 03:29 AM.

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts

^basically this. most power users don't even use the mouse. an example in the real world is excel power users in the banking industry. They train you basically to do everything with the keyboard using shortcuts and hotkeys... :)

a keyboard is innately superior than a mouse in speed and precision.

No :no:

The "keyboard is innately superior than a mouse in speed and precision" is only in some specific applications - like excel - but in games more often than not it is far from the best tool. I'm sure you wouldn't play Call of Duty or Counter-strike with keyboard only and hope to survive. It is mouse only, joypad only, joystick and keyboard or keyboard and mouse that is superior -not keyboard only- in almost every single game. Most applications of keyboard only superiority is when you only have to do one thing over and over again (like typing or working in excel cells).

I'm a power user myself, but a good power uses uses the best tools for the job. I'm not saying I disagree on the importance of good hotkeys, but please don't try to paint keyboard only as superior in games. I do think lots of customizable hotkeys are a great idea, but never instead of a good way to do it with the mouse and especially not in a way that makes playing with the mouse worse in any tiny way, like expecting people to have to use hotkeys if they don't want to.

With that said, I would rather have a few customizable hotkeys than a lot that cannot be customized (arrow keys for the map or camera as someone wrote? Oh god no, my shoulders hurt just thinking about playing with the arms and hands so close together for hours of gameplay. WASD or customizable keys please) :yes:

Er right, my mistake. Keyboard and mouse more superior is what I meant. :) Though Zombra makes a good point.

I think the best situation would be many customizable hotkeys. But maybe that's just me :)

Carry on.

Edited by Hormalakh, 05 December 2012 - 08:36 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: interface, keyboard, mouse, pc, ui, user interface

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users