Promised a dev i'd play Alpha Protocol after backing Eternity

My final thoughts on the game after finishing. Deeply flawed but very wonderful at the same time. Sadly more flawed than what I hoped from Obsidian but as fun and wonderful and the other work they have done. Other than Stick of Truth its the only Obsidian game I have not played until now. So they are still in my very very good graces and P:E is going to be so good i'm likely going to cry!

Love you guys! don't **** this up ;)

• Like 1

I played it twice, once as rookie and once as veteran, I don't think it's that replayable. The game is awfully short, sometimes it really didn't make sense to make a different decision than you had on your last playthrough either, and there were some set pieces that would always occur.

Well, if you make the same choices each time, of course you're not going to see how it responds to that, and how you can do another run seeing just how another choice ends up another way... :/

IMO, the shortness helps replayability. Easier to start up another game for 20 hours than going through 100 hours Baldur's Gate all over again after all.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I picked it up when it was on sale for $5 on Steam recently, and I'm sorry I did. The control is absolutely horrible; I tried both gamepad and keyboard/mouse and had problems with both. I have no clue WTF I'm supposed to do in the computer hacking minigame, and normally I have no problem with word, spatial, or mathematical puzzles. It just hurt my eyes. I spent time fussing with a bunch of different settings and control was still craptastic for movement and targeting.

I figured that some of these things probably improved with skill points, but... I've made a rule for myself about games that make me not have fun with the promise that at some point I will get to have fun. It's just crappy design. For comparison, things like stealth, accuracy, lockpicking, etc., are all very weak to start with in F:NV and improve dramatically, but that doesn't mean F:NV starts you out struggling miserably with simple tasks.

I was disappointed when it came out initially and got trashed in reviews, but they convinced me it wasn't worth $50. I believe people that there is a fun adventure hidden beneath the craptastic controls and interface in AP, but as it is, it wasn't even worth $5. Sorry Obsidian. I really want to like all your stuff, and I loved games like F:NV and ToEE in spite of their avalanche of glitches, and I kickstarted P:E happily.... but AP was a disaster.

You need to find the string the same as the one provided. It's rather easy; It's the only thing that's not moving. If you concentrate on that, you shouldn't have any issues finding it.

Then the aiming... sneak close, aim, insta-kill. Like Deus Ex. Again, not that hard to learn. Or use. And more fun than having to shoot enemies 50 times to compensate for your inhuman accuracy like in Mass Effect.

For me atleast. Sneak and kill is much better than just blam blam blam every room over and over.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

I bought it on sale from Steam earlier this year, and I quit after about an hour. I dunno, the controls were just really clunky to me and the whole thing seemed like a Deus Ex ripoff.

But reading the gushing here I may try it again when I'm done with XCOM (which is awesome btw).

If you thought it was an actiony shooter game, then the controls were clunky. If you didn't treat it as a twitch-fest type, it wasn't so bad. The main grief I had was the hacking mini-game for the annoying controls.

I have to admit, it did feel that a lot of the reviews complained about the shooting, but that they'd given no attention to the whole "need to improve your skills" aspect, or the fact that it requires you to be close and aim, not just float the cursor over and blindly fire...

I've heard a few people talk about glitches and crashes, but in the handful of times I've replayed the game I've never had any serious issues derail me...

Personally, I'm in the group of people who quite enjoyed AP. The choice and consequences, the different reactions of characters depending on how you played it, the differences that played out depending on whether they liked or hated you.. And slipping a mine to a certain someone right at the end was certainly worthwhile.. :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I coughed up $50 at launch for Alpha Protocol, and you know what? I didn't regret it. It's not a perfect game, I have my complaints--bosses balanced against stealth characters for one. But I genuinely enjoyed the core stealth gameplay as well as the character progression and how all the powers worked. I have fond memories of streaming it once and making a Michael "The Bear" Thorton--a giant murdermachine in a lumberjack beard, trucker hat and sunglasses that was dropped fist-first into the most dangerous places on earth. From there he would run screaming angrily through crowds of terrorists and assorted ne'er-do-wells, bringing justice one fist-to-face at a time.

My major complaint with Alpha Protocol is--and perhaps this was unique to my playthrough, but I doubt it--that it always felt like the antagonists were always one step ahead of me no matter what I did. This lead to me losing my sense of agency even while I was making significant progress, it seems like I always got duped or set back instead and that's just how the plot worked. This sometimes involved some pretty weird contrivances to force me to choose between two crappy options where I could've chosen both and saved the day. For example: "Oh I don't trust you enough to wear a kevlar vest and beef up security at the rally, you just don't have enough proof of these claims." Really, dude? I have proof that one bad thing is gonna' go down and you can't just put on the vest? Really? Come on.

All things considered though, I enjoyed it and learned from it and had fun.

Glad you like it...

Replay it, and choose different options/decisions... you probably going to like it even more ;)

^