Promised a dev i'd play Alpha Protocol after backing Eternity

So far I really regret listing to reviews and not playing it when it came out. Only thing I dislike is the computer hacking, the story and atmosphere is top notch just like every other Obsidian game i've played. Now I can say I have enjoyed every game Obsidian has made, Eternity I know will be legendary!

• Like 21

So far I really regret listing to reviews and not playing it when it came out. Only thing I dislike is the computer hacking, the story and atmosphere is top notch just like every other Obsidian game i've played. Now I can say I have enjoyed every game Obsidian has made, Eternity I know will be legendary!

Yeah, the only serious complaint I had about Alpha Protocol was the enemy A.I. (really horrible in some areas). Also, I encountered some clipping. And I suppose the graphics were dated upon release, but, really, the story was a lot of fun to play, I thought.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 6

23u4g7t.jpg

Really fun game, the only real issue I think I had was with the gun targeting and sneaking was super hard at the beginning until you upgraded. One thing, I want to play again, but I do not want to start as a blank slate, wished you could unlock the professional level without having to do the recruit level first.

Edited by Badmojo

Most of the frustration I've had playing are getting better after upgrading. I think the biggest problems I've had so far were things I heard were broken so I didn't give it a chance or try to improve skills on my part. Loving the characters and story, I bet i'm going to be upset when it ends knowing there will be no sequel.

After getting the game at a really good discount long after it was released, I kick myself for not just picking it up sooner. The complaints against it, IMO, were far overblown. It's a damned good game and a whole lot of fun. How could I have doubted you, Obsidian?

I just wish there was a possibility of an Alpha Protocol 2. Alas for IP ownership and copyright issues.

*edit* Oh, and I think you'll find the computer hacking issues will clear up after you're into the game a bit and get more used to it. That's how it played out for me, anyway.

Edited by Ink Blot
  • Like 2

AP is a horrible game. By far, one of Obsidian's worst. I'lls tick with the awesome MOTB and Fo;NV. Thanks. Hopefully, PE is more like the latter not the former.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

My biggest issue with the game was how Stealth was a non-option in almost every boss fight. I'd like to hear one of the devs talk about that; did they just run out of time to make more options for boss killing? It was a similar situation in Deus Ex: HR, you sneak through the whole level and suddenly have to run around guns blazing because the boss is so aggressive.

• Like 4

Still haven't played AP. The lousy reviews scared me away. Not made of money, you know.

I am tempted to buy it sometimes, though. I'll probably pick it up when there's a sale or something.

"Oh shut up Volourn. "

Make me.

I know my fellow Obsidianites don't like differing opinions espciially if they are critical of Obsidian as fanboys are won't to do but AP is just not a good game - espicially comapred to Obsidian's other efforts.

P.S. I do find it amusing I have never been told to shut up when praising an Obsidian game here. SHOCKING!

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

My biggest issue with the game was how Stealth was a non-option in almost every boss fight. I'd like to hear one of the devs talk about that; did they just run out of time to make more options for boss killing? It was a similar situation in Deus Ex: HR, you sneak through the whole level and suddenly have to run around guns blazing because the boss is so aggressive.

Oh yea, that was annoying for stealth players. It was way worse in deus ex:HR. The company for dhr tried to blame another company that worked on the ending as the culprit, but it was the original company that sighned off on it. One of the devs said they wanted a big action fight to make you feel you accomplished something. um...what? If you go through the game 90% with stealth, you do NOT want an action fight...grrrrr.

Is that a push-up bra I see before me?

1449081-sie.jpg

Is that a push-up bra I see before me,

The its breast-filled goodness toward my hand?

Come, let me clutch thee!

I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.

Art thou not, busty vision, sensible

To feeling as to sight? or art thou but

A bosom of the mind, a false creation,

Proceeding from the lust-oppressed brain?

Yeah, paraphrasing Shakespeare is fun! :dancing:

More on topic, I have yet to play Alpha Protocol. Monte’s screenshot goes a long way persuading me. Seriously though, despite the very conflicting things I’ve heard about the game I’ll give it a shot one day, knowing it’s an Obsidian one. Come Steam Christmas sales, I’ll be getting it.

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order; for the pen is mightier than the sword!

The reviews do Alpha Protocol no justice. It got ripped apart for a lot of stuff that other games that scored highly also had, and the stuff it did well got glossed over as well.

AP has fantastic replayability because of the different ways your decisions can alter/change the way future quests play out. Unlike a lot of games that advertise it as such, in AP choices *do* matter and have actual consequences in the game.

• Like 2

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I too had been scared off by a bunch of negative reviews, but I finally took the plunge last week when it was for sale on Steam ... So far all I've done is the first little intro section, but it seems like a pretty decent game. There are a few niggles (the hacking mini-game just plain irritates me and I'm not a fan of dialogue wheels) but I'm not getting the "72" metacritic vibe.

I guess Obsidian forgot to send the game journos a lot of free swag or didn't buy enough ads on their game sites.

Edited by nikolokolus

The reviews do Alpha Protocol no justice. It got ripped apart for a lot of stuff that other games that scored highly also had, and the stuff it did well got glossed over as well.

AP has fantastic replayability because of the different ways your decisions can alter/change the way future quests play out. Unlike a lot of games that advertise it as such, in AP choices *do* matter and have actual consequences in the game.

I have to agree, the majority of reviews did not do the game justice. Yes it can be a mess at times, there is no AI to speak of, some of the weapons are crap and the engine can look hideous, but I still enjoyed it. It is still a great role playing experience if not a very good "game" (mechanics wise). With a little more polish and lots more PC optimization, it would have been spectacular. As it stands its the perfect example of how a game's reach can exceed its grasp.

For what its worth, RPS had a balanced review. Its still a little harsh but that is subjective. My opinion was a little more forgiving.

TBH I'm surprised the game hasn't had the fan patch treatment that Vampire Bloodlines got. That thing was damn near unplayable upon release.

Edited by Shadeheart