As the topic says, will we be able to play the game with a controller (hopefully Xbox 360 one)?

I love it how I can play games on my laptop, sit on my couch and use X360 controller to play a game.

I played Fallout 3, Xcom and Sleeping Dogs like that and I it's so convenient.

While I must admit that I also love sitting in the couch using a laptop I really do not see how a IE style game can be made to work with a controller. The sacrifices that would have to be made would not really be worth it. Not sure what exactly you can do with a X360 controller. Perhaps you can map different buttons to simulate the mouse and the rest as the most used shortcuts?

http://youtu.be/5QGS34Lj7qA

What you can expect when using a console controller playing PE...

(Not sure who originally posted this in another thread, but props to him/her)

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I play my games on my laptop. Long gone are the days when I could set up a desktop at a desk and pla for hours and hours. Things change once you grow up.

That's odd. I'm all grown up, and I have a desk, an office chair, a tower PC, and mouse and mouse pad. Even stranger, I can sit down and use that computer for seconds or minutes at a time if I choose to.

I was unaware that grownups are required to sit on couches and use laptops, I'll get on that immediately.

• Like 1

If this was a turn-based game, I don't think it would be too difficult to do a version of the UI that caters to controllers

Maybe not difficult but ceratinly undesirable and inferior. Look at ****ing x-com.

Turn-based works really well with controllers because there are no time constraints so you don't need to give precise inputs quickly. The PC UI of XCOM is not that good, but that comes down to simply not getting the time it deserved.

I think there is software that allows you to play games with controllers even if the game doesn't natively support it so there is no technical reason you why cannot play with a controller. However, I don't see why anyone would want to play a game like this with a controller. It is not an action RPG like the ones you listed; it's more like a real time strategy game with pause (think Starcraft II in the missions without base management).

Also, I don't see what you have against playing on a laptop. My work requires me to move a lot so I have not had a gaming desktop in over a decade. Laptops have been perfectly fine for RPGs (Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Temple of Elemental Evil, Dragon Age, etc) and RTS games so I'm sure they'll be fine for Project Eternity.

If this was a turn-based game, I don't think it would be too difficult to do a version of the UI that caters to controllers

Maybe not difficult but ceratinly undesirable and inferior. Look at ****ing x-com.

Turn-based works really well with controllers because there are no time constraints so you don't need to give precise inputs quickly. The PC UI of XCOM is not that good, but that comes down to simply not getting the time it deserved.

The gamepad is more suitable for TB then RT, yes, but it can't compare to KB + mouse combo and dumbing down PC games to that level is a travesty.

Say no to popamole!

The developers won't waste their time trying to condense all the features this game will have into 8 to 12 button inputs on a controller. You shouldn't expect them to either.

If you're a "grown up" then you can learn to configure a program that will set up a controller for you. Though, have fun trying to play a tactical game with one of those things.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

They already stated this will be a PC game, first and foremost. They HATE designing and having to cut things in a game because of the horrible limitations of the Console Controller (like ALL console exclusive games are). So thankfully this game will be 100% horrible console controller free. And that is great and welcome news.

Why are cars designed only for a steering wheel? I really want a car that controls with the arrow keys because only in that way can I recreate that feeling of leaning left and right with my body when making sharp curves on that accolade driving game. Also, only the hardcore master race drives with pedals and stickshift. I want to be able to relax.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Those are all 3D action RPGs - a genre which lends itself really well to a controller. Some of them are actually significantly worse without a controller.

Worse without controller because developers not really bother to add good support for mouse+keyboard. And I hope will burn in very special developer's hell for it.

Wow so much elitism and hate in this thread.

It's all opinion, some prefer controllers and some prefer keyboard and mouse. Big deal.

What should have been said:

"I don't think this game will support a controller due to the complexity of the game, the limited resources, and the focus of the development team. However, you can always try to set it up with third party drivers/software, or perhaps mods will come for it eventually."

Jerks...

• Like 2

To be frank the Witcher 2 was design so you could easily play it with a controler and it did good to with a mouse and keybord (although not so good as Witcher 1) But with PE? giving it controler seting would be just a drag, it would be a pain even for you, dont believe me? try playing the sims with a controler and then with a mouse. Before you would do anything with a controller in this game the person with a mouse would move to the next place.

Wow so much elitism and hate in this thread.

It's all opinion, some prefer controllers and some prefer keyboard and mouse. Big deal.

What should have been said:

"I don't think this game will support a controller due to the complexity of the game, the limited resources, and the focus of the development team. However, you can always try to set it up with third party drivers/software, or perhaps mods will come for it eventually."

Jerks...

I completely agree with you. I don't think the OP deserves all the hate he gets in this thread, although i can certainly understand where all that hate is coming from since the consoles has been the primary focus for many of the big developers for years, and as a consequense the pc fans has been left with inferior and dumbed down games... that is, if they even get a version of the game. I have a similar hate to multiplayer for much the same reason. But that's not the OPs fault. He just want to know if he can play the game with a controller since that's his preference of control, mine too infact. I'll almost always choose the controller if the option is there no matter how inferior the experience might be. For example, at the moment i'm playing the original XBOX version of Morrowind on my 360 despite owning a copy of the game for PC aswelll. I know the pc version is better in every way, it looks better, runs better, any bugs it might have can be fixed and i don't have to wait in over a minute every time i load a save game. Yet, it just feels better and more relaxing to play it with a gamepad so that's what i do. That said, i want to see Project Eternity succeed and be the best it can be, if that means i'll have to play the game with mouse and keyboard, ill do that.

Wow, a lot of very touchy people in this thread. If I knew my question might cause some of you to get a stroke I wouldn't have asked it.

As long as the game is great I don't mind playing it with mouse and keyboard or with a controller. It's only a game after all, it's not the end of the world if it's played with controller or with a mouse.

the point of the whole discussion is: the highly versatile combination of mouse and keyboard, allows for fast, precise and eficient control of the game and its interface, whatever that may be like, while console controlers require a certain type of game control and interface setting to work efficiently, otherwise they tend to be problematic

in developer terms, that means that making a game for pc only, they are free to make it any way they want, without having to compromise on the design in order to accomodate the limited and inflexible pad as a control method

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

People are being unnecessarily rude in this post. I understand why... we may claim PC elitism, but the real issue is the rash of recent RPGs that have had interfaces designed around the console with little or no effort to optimize the PC version for mouse/keyboard. It's especially painful on games like Dragon Age that are simplified for the consoles or a traditionally PC series like The Elder Scrolls that doesn't even design a keyboard/mouse menu interface.

To the OP though... ALL of my PC use occcurs on my couch. I use a Microsoft Arc wireless keyboard and a Logitech Trackman thumb trackball. For games that work better with a gamepad, I plug in my PS3 controller (using the MotioninJoy driver to make the system recognize it as an Xbox controller). This means that my PC has 98% of the gaming functionality of my PS3 (with better graphics). For FPS/action games designed around mouse use, this does not work as well as a gaming mouse and keyboard on a desktop. But for non-competitive RPGs, strategy, and adventure games, it works fine. The trackball is not as responsive for aiming as a mouse but much more responsive than a gamepad. Movement is more responsive with a gamepad. I use whichever one works best for the game I'm playing.

People are being unnecessarily rude in this post. I understand why... we may claim PC elitism, but the real issue is the rash of recent RPGs that have had interfaces designed around the console with little or no effort to optimize the PC version for mouse/keyboard. It's especially painful on games like Dragon Age that are simplified for the consoles or a traditionally PC series like The Elder Scrolls that doesn't even design a keyboard/mouse menu interface.

Dragon Age has the best PC UI out of any games made in the last few years. I really have no idea what you're on about here.

But to the OP, do you use your computer with a controller? Use Excel, Word, your browser, your file maintenance with your controller? Hell no, it's just terribly cumbersome. You would not in any way be able to play PE with any kind of effectiveness with a controller unless Obsidian create a completely seperate UI for console; which cannot be done without changing fundamental design decisions for the game.

So in short, it's not going to happen. Unless you're masochistic enough to use Pinnacle and move the cursor with analogue sticks.

Recently I played RPGs by using an Xbox controller (The Witcher 2, Fallout 3, Kingdoms Of Amalur) and I love it. The thing is I don't have my own room anymore where I can play games (wife, baby, etc) so I play on my laptop hooked up to my TV. I love it.

Nothing wrong with having an extra option as long as it doesn't impede the gameplay.

Sure that's fine, but the control schemes for P:E are more like an RTS ... soooo

Dragon Age has the best PC UI out of any games made in the last few years. I really have no idea what you're on about here.

Really? I thought it was awful. YMMV.

Edited by Sensuki

as i said, the difference is:

PC: the keyboard and mouse can adapt themselves to any UI and gameplay type

Console: the gameplay and the UI of the game have to be adapted what the pad can do

you decide what is the better control system for a game

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.