Please no more "go here" quest markers!

No more quests for idiots. We are not so dump. I whish to search solved out of game one the forum internet. Find some solution whith comunity. Please attached web browser in game similat to the browser included to the Everquest 2.

GOG: Ifava

No more quests for idiots. We are not so dump. I whish to search solved out of game one the forum internet. Find some solution whith comunity. Please attached web browser in game similat to the browser included to the Everquest 2.

What the hell? As if an in-game MMO-style web browser requiring a net connection is actually better? Damn, I think I'd rather have the quest blinkers...

• Like 3

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Web browser in game it should be any problem whit connecting unless you live in a tent. For what quit every time from the game if you can just turn on web browser just exacly in the game.

GOG: Ifava

No no no no no to all kinds of markers, arrows, ingame browser to a walkthrough or find x of y for me type quests.

Sheesh... do people think this is a MMORPG or that a spiritual sequal to Baldur's Gate is made here?

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I don't mind playing without markers if there are clear ways to get the information you need within the game. If a quest says you need to find someone hiding in a cave such a such and it's up to you to find where in the entire vast world that cave is then I want to have options to find information in libraries or some markings in the world and from people, which means quests should automatically have their own dialog branches. Without that it's just aimless wandering hoping to get lucky. Which can get very frustrating. Still that can be fine for some high reward side quest of a side quest that you can only find by aimlessly exploring in the first place, but not for anything that following a main quest can lead you to.

As long as caves and buildings and lots of areas are named and that name comes up in a sensible dialog option when a quest is started or a chain of events leading to that information is begun I'm more than happy to remove quest markers.

DA2: 'You need to kill Malkoy Shmarmo' and that's all the info so you get so a quest marker is given to direct you to his estate.

I'm hoping PE is more a suggestion that killing malkoy could earn you some coins is given.Then you ask people in that area about him. You find out some info such as his estate is on the western edge of town or to be careful it's guarded by marshmallows.

Web browser in game it should be any problem whit connecting unless you live in a tent. For what quit every time from the game if you can just turn on web browser just exacly in the game.

Okay, I'll explain why this idea is a complete waste of time:

The reason why in-game web browsers are useful for MMOs is because you can't pause an MMO.

All IE games, all SP games in general, can be paused. So you can alt-tab and open a web browser if necessary.

Adding an in-game web browser to PE would be stupid. Extra development work for zero gain.

I can't believe someone would be that lazy in an SP game. :facepalm:

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

There's a mode to shut stuff like that off, personally I want things like Quest Markers I hate running around in circles looking for stuff, not fun :( like they have in Fallout New Vegas and stuff.

Well, part of the problem comes in when they design quests around the quest marker instead of treating it as a once in a while hint system.

Another problem is that GPS markers destroy an entire aspect of gameplay involved in questing. That is, it totally removes actually searching and questing.

I think it depends on the quest, if it is something that could shown on a map like lets say "we need to destroy these seige weapons" then you can show them on the GPS, if it is something like "go gather x number of this" then definately not

I highly doubt we will get many "go gather x number of this". If not I will be very disappointed.

Just like Arcanum. If you have to go somewhere you can ask around and someone marks the location on your map. Once you get there you have to ask where to find the specific person/location or just search yourself. I assume that's what they're putting in this game.

I vote for a NPC companion which is two talking heads, and one of them will keep saying 'Hot' or 'Cold' every 20 seconds depending on how far you are from your quest objective. The other talking head will just yell 'Are we there yet?' every 15 seconds.

• Like 5

You know, if the NPC says let me mark it on your map, let it appear on the map. If you're given explicit directions, mark it on the map. In an isometric game that's not a sand box like oblivion etc, there really shouldn't need to be the compass with points of interest marked out.

Edited by Dianjabla
  • Like 2

There's a mode to shut stuff like that off, personally I want things like Quest Markers I hate running around in circles looking for stuff, not fun :( like they have in Fallout New Vegas and stuff.

Well, part of the problem comes in when they design quests around the quest marker instead of treating it as a once in a while hint system.

Another problem is that GPS markers destroy an entire aspect of gameplay involved in questing. That is, it totally removes actually searching and questing.

I think it depends on the quest, if it is something that could shown on a map like lets say "we need to destroy these seige weapons" then you can show them on the GPS, if it is something like "go gather x number of this" then definately not

I highly doubt we will get many "go gather x number of this". If not I will be very disappointed.

well that was just a example, a better one would be go find buddy in the woods he is usually be his cabin in the woods to the north (then no marker)

I'd argue for detailed instructions by the quest giver or those you ask for directions, like this:

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Please... No quest markers. It's not just a matter of difficulty, it is immersiveness. As you walk about trying find out where to go, you are exploring. This gives exploration a tangible benefit that makes sense to the story.

Think about it. If you have a quest marker telling you to go NW why would you go SE? You could argue well you explore to explore! Well... no. You are on a quest with an objective. You may stumble on smaller tasks along the way but if you know exactly where to go then there is no emergent reason to have the player's character go elsewhere.

By including quest markers, you absolutely destroy a fundamental way to tie exploration to the story.

Also, and maybe this is just me here, PE is suppose to be, I think, a little old-school. I would indeed hope for a little less hand holding.

• Like 3

Didn't Chris Avellone have an interview a couple years ago where he said that quest markers and fast travel were ruining exploration in modern RPGs?

I hate quest markers. I would prefer it if they are not in the game at all to them being an optional feature. It seems like games that have a quest marker system invariably have awful quest instructions; because they can rely on fantasy GPS, they have no need to explain each objective thoroughly. I just played Dishonored, which had the option to turn quest markers off, which was cool. I did beat it without ever using them, but there were quite a few parts where they didn't even try to tell the player where to go. One specific instance I can remember is where they tell the player to talk to Pindleton. Naturally, I checked his room, with no luck. Then I scoured the entire house. Checked in the yard, the basement, and finally found him outside, hidden behind a small tower in an area I had never been to before. They could have just said, "talk to Pindleton by the tower" or something, but because they knew people could just turn on quest markers at any time it wasn't important to them.

If people are ever really, really stuck, there's always the internet, so that's not a big danger. This is one of my most hated modern gaming trends. I really hope Obsidian does not include it in any form. This is the kind of thing that can ruin a game for me. This was on of the few things I really hated about New Vegas. If we have a journal to keep track of quest instructions, that should be plenty of info for an experienced gamer to go on.

• Like 4

Toggable quest markers at any difficulty level.

I want to try to find the destinations by myself.

But if I can't, I like a quest compass better than a walk-through full of spoilers or interactive internet maps.

I had enough of those with Morrowind, thank you very much.

At least I can disable the quest marker after getting the general direction. After looking at the solution on internet, there is nothing left to discover.

I've come to burn your kingdom down

The reason a game like PE won't need quest markers is because of an in-depth quest journal and the fact that you won't be exploring an area that equal's the size of a small county. I mean, in BG2, finding a quest objective wasn't exactly hard. At the very least the quest giver said you could find said person in X area of the city. And the areas were only SO large with a handful of people. And if you talk to a few of them, you'll figure out where to go. Or you'd just run into what you needed to find through your travels and being diligent in your exploration of every nook and cranny, which is how RPGs should be.

Skyrim uses quest markers because the quests are lazy and they're all one-step fetch quests with little to no choices involved. Fetch quests are boring as heck, thus they gave you quest markers to tear through them as quick as possible so you can get your goodies (usually about 200 gold).

Edited by Ignatius

Mass Effect had very bad approach to "go there" option. You could get fetch quest like "Return artefact from Narum". And you have no information where that Narum or something is. Is it star system or planet? And you had to hover your mouse over all dots in star map to highlight system name. After all it was easier to go to wikia and ee where you had to fly, rahter than jump to every system and fly over every planet in hopes of finding one. That was mostly journal flaw, but still a possible problem if journal entries will be disconnected to player's knowledge of the world.

MzpydUh.gif