So, in the situation of Project Eternity being established as Obsidian's own successful in-house franchise, what do you think the likelihood of them expanding their range of owned and publisher-free ips is?

Avellone's Defiance or Sawyer's Darklands-esque RPG spring to mind as possibilities.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I think the likelihood of them continuing to generate new in house IPs is going to be based off the success of PE. Yes this game is already funded and keeping obsidian at work for the next year and a half but unless they want to kickstart every project they need to generate some profit when the game releases. If PE does at least marginally well we'll see an expansion and/or sequel. If it becomes a hit it might very well give them the chance to start up new IPs.

I personally think that there is still a pretty big market out there for a game like this and if they sell it at a cheaper price point ($40 or so rather than $60) they can probably sell enough to cover the cost of another 4-6million game. So I think it pretty damned likely we'll get some more PE after this and it's not far fetched that they could generate enough profit to expand into new IPs. That might be wishful thinking or biased at the very least because I love that a game like this is coming out and hope more people (who didn't kickstart) feel the same.

As a side note since this is a PC/Mac/Linux only title please do your part to stand against piracy. Even if you're an unabashed pirate please do so for this game and other indie/kickstarted titles at the very least. Many publishers and developers are wary of the PC space because of the rampant piracy which is one reason why we get less games than consoles. If we want more games like this we need to encourage people to start paying for their games to support the developers not be complacent about piracy.

• Like 10

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

As a side note since this is a PC/Mac/Linux only title please do your part to stand against piracy. Even if you're an unabashed pirate please do so for this game and other indie/kickstarted titles at the very least. Many publishers and developers are wary of the PC space because of the rampant piracy which is one reason why we get less games than consoles. If we want more games like this we need to encourage people to start paying for their games to support the developers not be complacent about piracy.

I agree. Although it`s not a shame to iligally download some titles (like Call od Duty or Battlefield). But in this case the PC community must make a stand. We have to show the developers and publishers what we really want to play. No realistic military shooter 16, but imaginitive and original IP`s.

That said, I only wish Obsidian doesn`t make too many sequels for PE after it`s succsess (and it WILL be succsessfull).

2 atoms walk into a bar, the one says " I believe i have lost an electron!" the other says " Are you sure?" the first atom says " I'm positive! "

Of course it will depend by the success of Eternity. Since it has been already funded, every single copy of the game they sell is a profit for Obsidian, and I think it can sell pretty well, although of course many people interested in the game will already have it on day-one by having backed it.

Anyhow I believe that they'll do more Eternity games (like expansions and sequels, as they already said) before heading to new IPs. If and when Obsidian will decide to create a new one, though, I hope they'll go for a different and non-fantasy setting.

I see eternity being the start of a franchise if it is successful enough. I imagine some of the games attached to this franchise wil go in very different direction.

Baldurs Gate and Torment are both technically d&d and infinity games but vastly different in setting and feel

• Like 1

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

I'll echo the anti-piracy sentiment. It's killed PC gaming, more than consoles, and more than some nefarious publisher led conspiracy to dumb games down and make them hybridized pieces of poo, it's rampant piracy that has killed the user space.

When I was much younger I found it pretty easy to justify piracy - especially when it was so damned easy to steal a game - but people really need to smarten up.

• Like 2

I'm sure the team at Obsidian would like to work with original IPs as much as anyone in the gaming industry, but they need to get paid too, so it all depends on whether Project Eternity is a success or not. Obsidian could create another Kickstarter after Project Eternity, but I don't think that would fit in with their original plan, which was to kickstart Project Eternity and then move on to making more games like it, provided that the player base was there.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

I'm not an IP expert, but if we establish PE as the foundation of a successful franchise, we will likely continue to use the setting we have created. But yeah, IP development is not only something that developers love doing, but it's extremely valuable for the company. As long as we can manage those IPs, I'm sure we'd want to develop more over time.

• Like 12

Well, I assume the majority of people here have ponied up money so not sure what they can do to, heh, make a stand against piracy. Will be interesting to see how KS launched games get pirated, I'd imagine it would be the same as every other title - this one might be more likely, being a really successful and bigger profile one, I guess.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"I agree. Although it`s not a shame to iligally download some titles (like Call od Duty or Battlefield)."

I disdagree. Piracy is theft. It's also immoral, illegal, and evil. There is no excuse for it no matter the game, no matter owner of said game, and no matter the situation the thief is in. It's inexcuseable behaviour and extremely shameful.

As for PE, it doesn't cover Obsidian's cost because they have 100 employees to cover. A 4mil game just doesn't cover that. That said, if successful, they might be able to keep doing game slike it. They're still going to need publishers in the long run to stay in business with that many employees.

They've done mostly alright. Some flops but also some successes. They've released their share of games, and are still going, kickstarter or no kickstarter.

Of course if PE sells a lot they might be able to get a publisher to chip in for sequels without said publisher inetrvering in ane xtreme way 9though the publlisher would want some say either way so Obsidian might pass but publishers can be a good thing). Afterall, if Obsidian didn't use publishers we wouldn't have the fun NWN2 and KOTOR2 andf the awesome FO:NV.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I agree. Although it`s not a shame to iligally download some titles (like Call od Duty or Battlefield)."

I disdagree. Piracy is theft. It's also immoral, illegal, and evil. There is no excuse for it no matter the game, no matter owner of said game, and no matter the situation the thief is in. It's inexcuseable behaviour and extremely shameful.

I can't help myself - apologies ahead of time....

http://tvtropes.org/...talPiracyIsEvil

Commies.png

http://youtu.be/zGM8PT1eAvY

Edited by Merin
  • Like 2

*shrug* I'm not afraid of labels and being labeled doesn't change the fatc that piracy is wrong. It was wrong when sea faring pirates did it and its wrong when digital pirates do it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'd like them to make a 40k RPG, but meh, they'd have to deal with GW on that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I hope they can continue making their own games, without the influence of a publisher. I won't dive into the piracy debate, but if games were paid for before they were created, like with kickstarter and similar systems, at least the publisher knew how much they were sure to get, and could calculate risk based on that, instead of how much "they could have made"*.

*which is impossible to accurately calculate.

Nice video with Neil Gaiman btw, got even more respect for him now. Gearoge R.R. Martins stance on fanfic disappoints me though, but thats a whole nother subject for a whole nother forum.

Because it's like stealing from the big evil publishers. That's why I illegally download millions of copies of those games so I can cost those companies billions of dollars in lost sales.

That's right, big publishers! If you cross me I'll download your games trillions of times! You won't even have a shirt to wear once I'm done stealing from you! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Edited by Jasede
  • Like 2

Will love to see a horror RPG, Feargus sayed already they almost created a World of Darkness one in the past...

Where did he say that?

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive