Two-handed weapons attack speed

Personally I am afraid PE would to repeat a Dragon age 2 situation, where two-handed weapons were the fastest in the game. Even faster than dual daggers. I don't want to see another DA2 and Devil May Cry-like 2-handed weapons that weight like feather and able to slash 8367 times per second.

I know 2-H swords were not a massive things and were actually rather lightweight and flexible weapons, but if we have MASSIVE weapons, like clubs, sledgehammers, mauls or such, then I think it'll be reasonable for them to act like one. Especially with that fantasy addiction for weapons with the blades the size of the character!

One example of fictional overly-massive cleaver I am not annoyed with:

pyramidheadslash.gif

In this animation - I can feel the inertion and weight of this cleaver even when handled by insanely strong Pyramid Head. I suppose PE may have a race that is stronger than humans and thus can handle massive weapons easier, but still, please, take weight in consideration!

Reason for my fear is this:

http://youtu.be/M0chqZWxTQ4

Edited by Cultist

MzpydUh.gif

Agreed, the swing speed of two-handed weapons in DA2 are too fast, if the video is true. On the other hand, I'm expecting weapons smaller than that. I really don't want massive weapons like DA had. There should be no real speed difference between a one-handed weapon and a two-handed weapon. Two-handed should maybe even be faster. I mean, look at this fight:

Fight starts at 1:28:17. That's the speed of actual two-handed fighting. So I'm not very worried about weapons being too fast, they'll still probably be slower than reality anyway.

gentlemen: the witcher 2! if you use 80% of that speed (Geralt is a mutant with increased strength and speed so his swings are faster than normal) and keep the non fancy moves, you get a perfectly realistic attack animation for a human wielding a 2h sword

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Generally the most "unrealistic" part of two-handed fighting is when they whirl it around way out of line looking like they're swinging for the bleachers or the green. Then again, I don't consider realism a reason to include or not include anything in a video game. It's not going to be realistic no matter what you do.

The reflexes and training of the fighter have a lot more to do with their speed and accuracy than the size of their weapon.

• Like 1

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Generally the most "unrealistic" part of two-handed fighting is when they whirl it around way out of line looking like they're swinging for the bleachers or the green. Then again, I don't consider realism a reason to include or not include anything in a video game. It's not going to be realistic no matter what you do.

The reflexes and training of the fighter have a lot more to do with their speed and accuracy than the size of their weapon.

I agree

Two handed weapons were always a good option for someone who sacrificed defense or number of attacks for greater damage potential. Or someone who just likes large weapons. As long as the attack speed and damage are balanced and not too over the top it'll be fine.

To add some food for thought on this topic, 3e offered a "Monkey Grip" feat that would allow characters with sufficient training and strength to wield 2 handed weapons as 1 handed. Going one step further, you would take a bunch of two weapon fighting feats and end up with a melee character who toted 2 two handers. Perhaps a little over the top, but to be fair the character had spent a lot of training and effort to get to that point.

• 3 weeks later...

It entirely depends on the weapon. Katana and Longswords can be very light/flexible and move swiftly through the air. People practice swinging these things to be lightning-quick, they aren't like giant sledges.

I agree to there being weighty two-handed weapons, but if you want to argue some level of realism, people in real life would not use two-handed weapons that were slow. Even spears are extremely light and quick to use in combat.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

I'd say that melee weapons should all be the same speed, it's close enough to accurate to be worth it when the balance is already fairly even - two handed and dual wielding do more damage while sword and shields offer more defense. I'd actually also like a return of a system of feats which would allow you to focus on just wielding a one handed weapon without a shield with perhaps an offense/defense compromise between two handed/dual wield and weapon and shield mode. Just to add a few extra options to character design.

The only issue I have is that I think people enjoy the difference between fast and slow weapons. It can be fun to make a character who swings weapons ridiculously quickly or to have one that swings them ridiculously slowly.

We're dealing with magic, potentially. Perhaps all 'normal' two handed weapons could have smiliar base attack spee, but magical ones should permit faster or slower ones.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go: