Divine Space

lobotomy42

Have you guys seen this? It seems like a pretty cool idea for a space strategy-RPG, sort of like Space Rangers:

They're a little sparse on details for the plot, other than to say that it will have one and make us say "That's awesome." :-/ But everything else looks pretty good, and I love those character profile images.

Disclaimer: I have backed this project.

• Like 2

Hey, thank you for sharing our game here. I've got some good hints from Chris, thanks to him too!

Also, we reworked our video - it's been boring, now much better. I'll asnwer to your questions, if you have any... And thanks to Obsidian fans who support us too - Archon and others.

ADD: And yes, can't wait to play Eternity :p After Torment, I didn't play RPG's at all.

Edited by AntiDanilevski

Well, truth is I have mixed feelings about this thread.

In one hand, talking about Divine Space here at the Obsidian forums wasn't my first thought. I'm not very comfortable with the idea "Hey, Project Eternity is the most funded videogame project on Kickstarter so let's "spread the word" about other projects over there ! So much backers."

I remember Garry Gaber, in ( what looked like at that time ) a desperate attempt to save his Starlight Inception project, rampaging at every forum he could think of. When he created a thread at RPGCodex about his space sim', the greeting wasn't very ... "warm". ( Some weeks ago, the Codex had gathered a $10.000 pledge for Wasteland 2 so maybe he thought that was the thing to do. ) But he didn't backed down and answered every single post ( and criticism ) in what I think was an honest discussion. And he certainly did the same at the most forums he could. Finally Starlight Inception was successfully funded. So maybe that's really the thing to do for a creator.

In the other hand, Anti and his team have overcome most of my misleading ideas on Divine Space.

What looked like a casual space MMO for iPad at first is in fact a multi-platform Single player space sim' with interesting promises :

• real astronomical data
  • a storyline in an open universe
  • RPG elements
  • original ship design with parts ( also seen recently in Kinetic Void and Skyjacker )
  • factions
  • great visuals ( concept-arts are gorgeous and screenshots not far behind )

The third-person view with click'n'go controls had me a little confused until the last update of the main page on Kickstarter, where "Specs" were added.

When I asked about those "Specs", Anti answered :

Specs are one-time items, very much like potions in Diablo. You can use them at any time (if there isn't cooldown) . You can put them into a 'belt' - you cen see 'belt' on the lower part of interface in video.

Then *boom* It was clear ( at last... ): "3D Sci-Fi Action RPG" stands for Diablo gameplay in a space environment (!)

Instead of having a character wandering in a fantasy land thru dungeons and towns, we'll have a pilot wandering in an universe thru solar systems and space stations.

The ship will be his armor and weapons, the energy his mana and the hull his health.

Yet, pilot stats ( spirit, tactics, intelligence, reaction, charisma ) and the leveling system are unclear but it gives a better idea of what the guys from Dodo Games have in mind.

The 3D aspect is also quite interesting IMO. It will differentiate Divine Space from other Space ARPG with top-down view like Drox Operative.

And last but not least, it will be a free game. Not only the MMO part after single player versions are done, but every Divine Space download will be free.

That's quite unusual. I've never backed a free game before on Kickstarter and I know some people are kinda disturbed by not having any "digital download" mention in reward tiers.

This image explains it all ( even if it's deep down the main page ) :

fc8006639c7ad6a1c98eee5c216417b0_large.png?1349187058

• Like 1

Careful what you wish ...

oooelogo180.png ... you just might get it

Thank you for the wonderful, bug post about Divine Space, Archon. A great and brief summary of our game.

I'm trying to spread the word on forums, but carefully and without becoming annoyance. Thanks to good people, threads like this are being created. Sometimes I can find them with google and join conversation (like today).

Once again, thank you, Obsidian people, for your support!

Well, not much support so far. :ermm:

Anti, you told me that you've tried Divine Space on PC with mouse control but the UI from iOS has to be redesigned. Any chance for another video with alpha gameplay on PC ?

Well, not much support so far. :ermm:

Anti, you told me that you've tried Divine Space on PC with mouse control but the UI from iOS has to be redesigned. Any chance for another video with alpha gameplay on PC ?

Yes, iPads are hated by many players... mostly because of games that are being made for that platform. Can't blame anyone, those are hardly games (with rare exceptions, indeed).

We are trying to change this situation, but being first is hard. Now, my repsect to guys from Camouflar (Republique project) is one hundred percent higher. They are doing the same, and I see the future where are serious games are being developed for iPads/Android pads/Surface.

About video from PC - yes, that's not a problem. Actually, you can see it in our introducing video. Some parts are recorded from PC with mouse clicks (in one part, I left mouse cursor to be visible). Others are recorded from iPad. Check it out - non-cutscene and non-iPad video is an actual gameplay footage recorded from PC.

Uh, OK, got it : mouse cursor visible from 2:24 to 2:28 , 4:42 to 4:49 and 5:09 to 5:24. That's a whole 29 seconds of obvious PC gameplay :w00t:

Vs 6 minutes 14 seconds of iPad gameplay in a separate video ... you see what I mean.

But yes, that's a lot more than Camouflaj showed about Republique.