Nanowrimo

ion.sh

Is it time again? Break dancing chihuahas on a trampoline, I swear the last one just ended.

I'll be participating this year.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Wake up, thread! It's here. The first day of National Novel Writing Month.

I guess this means I need to make a more serious effort than I had been the past couple weeks.

I don't count them, but it's certainly not too many. I'm writing in a notebook.

never heard of this, is it a regional thing? what are the rules?

The rules are to try writing a 50,000 page novel before the month's end.

never heard of this, is it a regional thing? what are the rules?

The rules are to try writing a 50,000 page novel before the month's end.

Did you mean word? Otherwise I don't think its possible

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

Yes, it's words.

It starts on November 1 and you have until the end of the month to finish a 50k word novel. It is meant to make you get things onto paper (or into word) and stop fretting about perfection.

It is a global thing, though it started in the US.

Personally I don't see myself doing it. I have to write a 10k report that has to be quality, so I'll be lagging behind on writing time.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

It makes me sad that I need an editor for forum posts.

I don't know if I'll be able to complete it or not. I've already rewritten the first page twice. And I see myself doing it a third of fourth time when I actually type it. This is a trend that will probably persist for all pages.

Tale, the first rule of NaNoWriMo is "no rewrites". The whole point is to put it down on paper and throw caution to the wind. Rewriting is what you do after.

This is a case of do as I say, not do as I do since I participated last year and did exactly the same thing you're doing. I failed at it. I don't have time this year, which makes me sad. :(

Yeah I can totally write a novel. In a month. That is definitely going to be a big success. And with such wide appeal!

They point isn't that what you write is even remotely publishable. The aim is to get a whole story down on paper so you can turn it into something worthwhile afterwards.

Take me for example I have a number of "fantastic" and "amazing" ideas. Some of them may even be seen as good ideas by people other than my mother and myself ;) But I am on page 1 with each one of them. That wont get me far. Nanowrimo would force me to get to page 200 and actually have something to work with besides a "good idea".

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Yeah I can totally write a novel. In a month. That is definitely going to be a big success. And with such wide appeal!

They point isn't that what you write is even remotely publishable. The aim is to get a whole story down on paper so you can turn it into something worthwhile afterwards.

Take me for example I have a number of "fantastic" and "amazing" ideas. Some of them may even be seen as good ideas by people other than my mother and myself ;) But I am on page 1 with each one of them. That wont get me far. Nanowrimo would force me to get to page 200 and actually have something to work with besides a "good idea".

"Novel" being the operative word here, assumes that any given person should be writing several hundred pages of prose, period. Hence my disingenuous implication that this will have widespread appeal to the laymen and women of planet Earth.

And it's not like we can just write gibberish (which, by the way, is really hard to do,) that ship sailed with Gertrude Stein at the helm. Sure, you can take drugs or whatever like Hunter S. Thompson, but that's not the same.

Edited by AGX-17

Meh, fiction is just not my thing. But I have been working on a non-fiction book for a long time now.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Tale, the first rule of NaNoWriMo is "no rewrites". The whole point is to put it down on paper and throw caution to the wind. Rewriting is what you do after.

Dag nabbit.

This month is going to drive me insane.

I'm already writing a novel. Anyone want to read it? It's fantasy but it's also a western. I don't know what that makes it.

I would, but I am too busy right now. Once I am done with my stupid report...