How can they solve the massive texture problems?

I'm not sure if it's relevant here or not, but I came upon this article the other day that may help them save a ton of space. http://gamingbolt.com/granite-sdk-v2-0-now-available-reduces-ps4-pc-xbox-one-memory-usage-by-75-for-texture-streaming

It is not, even though the article claims reduction in disk file-size as well. That article is about streaming textures, i.e. loading them when needed instead of keeping them in memory from the get-go. File size might be reduced if they do something like creating mip maps when needed from the base textures instead of having them stored along with them in the texture files, but I somehow think that's standard nowadays anyway. P:E however won't be using textures in that sense for the backgrounds so as I said it's not relevant here.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

• 2 weeks later...

Hm... I apologize, Falkon Swiftblade: maybe I was too fast in dismissing a link between developments in texture streaming and file compression. Currently reading through this interesting presentation http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdceurope2013/Presentations/824810SwenVincke.pdf because I'm currently playing Dragon Commander, and starting from page 22, they describe a possibility of image compression that can be handled by the GPU quite efficiently and is very efficient with regards to storage requirements at the same time. Same "Granite" technology described in Falkon Swiftblade's link above. Again, it's a different requirement (texture for real time 3d game), but for P:E using a fixed viewing angle it could actually be even more efficient.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

• 1 month later...

Obviously way too late for PE but megatextures is one solution to the thread title's question:

http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-texture/

• Like 1

No traditional wizard worth his pointy hat could possibly work by the light of pure, smooth, dare one say virgin undribbled candles. It would just not look right. The ambience would be totally shattered. And when it did happen, the luckless wizard would mess about, as people do, with matchsticks and bent paperclips, to try to get nice little dribbles and channels of wax, as nature intended. However, this sort of thing never really works and invariably ends with wax all over the carpet and the wizard setting himself on fire. Candle dribbling, it has been decreed, is a job for a dribbler. – Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals.

Yeah I'm actually familiar with Tor Frick's one texture environment; it's very cool but is totally different approach than megatexturing. His environment very cleverly makes use of materials and UV's to have minimal texture usage. This is something that Sci-Fi lends itself to quite well; doing a similar thing with other styles wouldn't be as 'easy' (not that what Tor has done is easy; you have to be quite clever and plan things out).

You might also find it interesting to look at some of the ue4 videos that demonstrate the material layering system it has. Instead of painting an asset and doing all the dirt/rust/grime in the one material that is assigned to that object only, you would have a rust material, a grime material, a base metal material etc etc, and then textures that mask these layers. This way you get a more consistent look, you can re-use content more often (which is more efficient in multiple ways), you have a more flexible system (easy to make changes / variations)...

No traditional wizard worth his pointy hat could possibly work by the light of pure, smooth, dare one say virgin undribbled candles. It would just not look right. The ambience would be totally shattered. And when it did happen, the luckless wizard would mess about, as people do, with matchsticks and bent paperclips, to try to get nice little dribbles and channels of wax, as nature intended. However, this sort of thing never really works and invariably ends with wax all over the carpet and the wizard setting himself on fire. Candle dribbling, it has been decreed, is a job for a dribbler. – Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals.