What you did today

Gorth

But those germs aren't as fresh. And it's the fresh ones that are the most tasty. Er...what did I just say.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I am proud to announce that I finished the first of what I hesitate to call a draft of my first chapter.

Anyone interested in reading it for feedback is crap out of luck because I spent as much time experimenting with viewpoint and voice as I spent actually writing. But hey, I wrote actual scenes. Really crappy scenes, but scenes!

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Read the spoilers for that, seems like it might be fun to watch.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So my mother is heading into hospital once more today... Some of her usual troubles have flared up along with an eye infection thats been leaving her half-blind the last few days. And which she hadn't bothered mentioning because she thought it would settle down. >_<

It finally came up and appointment with the GP turned into a "you need to go to the Hospital to get this checked" which turned into a "you're being admitted and anti-baterial IV and assorted other shenanigans are to be conducted". S

So now it's a back and forth day and dealing with the dogs who are rather perturbed by her absence while clothes and such for her stay at hospital are sorted.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

That's sucks Ratihe, I hope she gets better.

Saw Skyfall = Awesome imho ;)

I wasn't that impressed, sure it's a solid action movie, but nothing really happens.. I guess I just want Bond to save the day rather than discover himself (and not really doing that either). It's a little too Bourne for me.

Fortune favors the bald.

Tough times, Raithe. Sorry to hear that, man.

I enjoyed Skyfall quite a bit and I think Daniel Craig has finally proved to me that he can be James Bond. Sean Connery is still the *real* James Bond, but Daniel Craig did a good job on this one.

Goose day. I'm going to roast a goose trying something new. I normally just take my chances and cook the whole bird, but today I'm going to excise the breats halfway through, put them aside, and then finish them by pan searing briefly. I cook a goose at least once a year, but the important thing isn't the bird per se as to render the goose fat. I enjoy the meat, but it is sometimes uneven between the breast and the legs. Maybe this way will cook up the other meat nicely while preserving the breasts. Anyway, I'll put it on some hours from now.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Relaxed most of the day, with many cat nose-kisses to make me smile. Maybe find another film to watch a bit later, then going to bed early to be rested for Thanksgiving weekend ... it's going to be a busy one for me this year.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Spent six hours learning how to use a soldering iron and then fitting some fancy Fender Custom Shop pickups into a Mexican Tele I recently got on the cheap, my head aches from the fumes and lack of rest but it's all done, sounds great too...shame it's 1am :)

Edited by WDeranged

bought two new pairs of socks, that are somewhat longer than i prefer my socks to be, so i have started the long and arduous quest to shorten them, in the process nearly ruining one of the pairs and temporarily misplacing a sewing needle.

I am impressed. No, seriously. I've done some sewing in my day...and my mom liked to sew simple clothes (her best friend was an awesome seamstress, too). But going to the trouble of shortening socks? These days I can't even be bothered to hem my pants - and almost all pants are 6-8 inches too long, since I'm very short. I keep telling myself I need to shorten them, but I just keep rolling them up instead. Good thing I don't work in a professional office.

Help me please! I'm playing Dragon Age Origins and... I... can't seem... to break... away from it. Once I pass out from exhaustion someone please come over and uninstall this thing. Free me!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Help me please! I'm playing Dragon Age Origins and... I... can't seem... to break... away from it. Once I pass out from exhaustion someone please come over and uninstall this thing. Free me!

Sure things, just send me your keys through a PM here on the forum.

Also: the arch-demon is your father. Join him and together you can rule the galaxy. Strike him down and he shall become more powerful than you could ever imagine.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Spend more time in the Deep Roads.

This was also good yesterday

untitled-1pwz3p.gif

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A colleague and I discovered a leak to the Press today...

A rather facepalm moment.

I'll describe the basic rundown without names.

*phone on the desk of the colleague who wasn't in today rings. I pick it up*

lady on the phone (after the whole he isn't in yes I'll try to help you instead if I can talk) : "I am calling from <news agency> in regards to the president's statement this morning. We didn't get the usual email alert, instead we only got a late, very short alert from your agency a short while ago. Now our correspondent did get an SMS, but he was in the car on his way to a conference, so he requested for the full mail to be send to us here at the main office instead. Only we never recieved it. I am not sure who is responsible for the thorough press briefing, but we do require it, so I was wondering if you could tell me who I should contact so we recieve that email as well? It would be unfair if all the other agencies got it and we didn't..."

Lady on the phone gives the email address that their news briefing is usually send from. It's a private gmail address...

"The short briefing you got from our agency? It is the only official briefing there is and it went out at the time you recieved it. You do not need to be on a special mailing list to get it. There was no statement issued before that by a goverment agency, nor was there a longer statement. The email you gave us is <name> private email address. We do not know what agreement she may have with your correspondent..."

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Time to go have dinner with the inlaws. Truth to tell, we've kind of gotten to be quite fond of each other over the past few years, which is remarkable in that we used to have a great deal of antipathy towards one another. Talk about something for which to be thankful. Take it easy guys and remember, after today, it's all about people trying to get you to spend money you don't have on stuff no one needs to give to people you only marginally like for reasons that everyone seems to have forgotten over the years. :D

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I indulged in my first Black Friday sales event ever, which actually happened at 8 PM on Thursday night. Walmart was selling an Xbox 360 with the Skylanders bundle for $150. This seemed like a very good deal for the system, and I've been thinking about getting it for my kids. Did I make a mistake? I can still return it.

It was actually not very busy, I got there about 45 minutes before 8, and I was the 7th person in line. They had separate lines for all the consoles.

I just got home. I went to dinner at the VFW. It was nice. Informal. Plus I can bring my dog. Gotta love that. I'm the youngest one there on a regular basis. We have some Iraq & Afghanistan vets too but they don't come around much.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I just got home. I went to dinner at the VFW. It was nice. Informal. Plus I can bring my dog. Gotta love that. I'm the youngest one there on a regular basis. We have some Iraq & Afghanistan vets too but they don't come around much.

I was wondering if you had a good time. I am glad you did. I think its great that there are institutions like VFW( I had to Google it at first to see who they were) that cater for people at times, like Thanksgiving, who don't have anywhere to go. For me it creates a sense of community. :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There's a lot of older guys there, widowers mainly. A few like me who are divorced. I just like to hang out and tell lies and swap stories with them. It's pleasant company all in all. The reason the younger guys don't come much is that they all have families they spend time with.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

This morning hubs was watching some TV program while drinking his coffee, and said it was strange, but he had a sudden craving. When asked what it was, my non-sweets eating spouse said "Apple pie." To which I replied that maybe it was because the station he was watching kept rolling a tiny pie icon accross the screen for its logo, being it was Thanksgiving. Hubs was "really? I didn't notice," -- he looked for it and saw it after next commercial and went "oh." I lol'd.

One friend and one family visited, too much turkey eaten, one movie seen, a whole lot of smiles and hugs, one almost-nap in the van, now home. Sleep, then doing it again with different people. And hubby got his pie. With ice cream.

Very sorry to hear that, Raithe. Your mom must be pretty tough to keep something like that from showing.

As an experienced chap, I advise her to punch the bacteria square in the nuts.

~

Storm blew part of my roof off, and triggered the security failsafe on my front door so I can't lock/unlock it! :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.