How long do you think until PE is finished?

181 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you think PE will take Obsidan to make?

• less than a year
    • 1 year
    • 2 years
    • 3 years
    • 4+ years

If I remember rightly the April 2014 estimate was made fairly early on in the Kickstarter. A fair amount of content was added through stretch goals and of course the Endless Paths, that could very well mean it might be later in the year for it to be finished. End of 2014 perhaps? Unless they took the stretch goals being hit into account when the made that estimate.

But really the only correct answer to this is "as long as it takes". Or at least "as long as it takes without running out of funds".... If it runs over because they are still working on it and the money is still there to allow them to do that I'm perfectly OK with it. Time is the least important part of the hard work/money/time equation in my opinion. Money is more or less fixed, Hard work depends on the teams ongoing enthusiasm for the project and general caffeine levels, Time on the other hand is more flexible. They can run it into 2015 for all I care if it means we get a classic cRPG again.

I intend to have levels of patience on par with a Zen master by the start of 2014 anyway so what difference does another year or two make when you are sat cross legged, under a tree on a mountain going "OMMMMMMMMM"?

• Like 1

High-Priest of Funk of the Obsidian Order

I really hope they consider their timeschedule again properly. After all the promised contents and features I rather fear quality will suffer a lot if they squeeze the gamedevelopment into these prior announced 18 months. They should rather take some months more for a real high class game than an low quality buggy game because of time shortage. And now they don't even have a pushing publisher sitting in their neck. I think most people would understand and see it in a same way. Since the community is kind of responsible on their own for multiplying the pile of work with the pledges ;-) Some Months doesn't matter anymore compared to the amount of time we have already been waiting since the era of these games has ended.

Dear developers please take your time to set a RPG gaming history milestone.

Edited by Rmplstlzchn
  • Like 1

I figure they know what they're doing and will put the resources where they need them to come close to their expected target date. There may be some date slipping, but I don't see it as being drastic; so I figure sometime in the 4-7 month of 2014.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Telling us now that it's going to be delayed will go down a lot easier than telling us in April 2014. They have reasons now. In 2014, it might sound like excuses.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I don't mean to bash the OP, but it's a bit weird when the developers have said their goal is to get it done in 18 months to only have 1 year / 2 years as options. I know a lot of games are delayed for all kinds of reasons, but personally I think this will be done pretty much exactly on schedule. The developers know what they're doing, they know the kind of product they want to make, and there isn't a publisher to suddenly add demands part way through development. I think Obsidian will be determined to get it done very close to their original projection, because they will want to be seen to be honouring their initial pledge with a project like this.

I don't mean to bash the OP, but it's a bit weird when the developers have said their goal is to get it done in 18 months to only have 1 year / 2 years as options. I know a lot of games are delayed for all kinds of reasons, but personally I think this will be done pretty much exactly on schedule. The developers know what they're doing, they know the kind of product they want to make, and there isn't a publisher to suddenly add demands part way through development. I think Obsidian will be determined to get it done very close to their original projection, because they will want to be seen to be honouring their initial pledge with a project like this.

I think they'll want to release the best possible product just as much; if they'll need time to iron out bugs - they'll have it. I don't think anyone would mind a delay - we've been waiting for a long time as it is ;)

If they work on building an enjoyable game that is representative of a Baldur's Gate brought up to the present state of the development art, then under two years. If they try and satisfy every single input from all posters on this forum, then at least double that time. Plus they will greatly exceed their budget, resulting in a calamitous failure and the end of Kickstarter. Well... maybe not quite that bad, but they surely won't be able to please everybody. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I voted 2 years, but I get a feeling of 2 and some months (Late Xmas 14 or January-February 15).

I think this thread is great, it shows Obsidian that we care about them as well as the game too, and giving them a bit more space to breathe. 18 months always did sound short to me, it fits with a 1.1M production I guess. This, however, is a 4.1~M production.

I voted 2 years, but I get a feeling of 2 and some months (Late Xmas 14 or January-February 15).

I think this thread is great, it shows Obsidian that we care about them as well as the game too, and giving them a bit more space to breathe. 18 months always did sound short to me, it fits with a 1.1M production I guess. This, however, is a 4.1~M production.

Indeed, that date was given back when the Kickstarter campaign has started - the scope of the game has increased greatly since then. Second city, stronghold, 15 level dungeon...

Indeed, that date was given back when the Kickstarter campaign has started - the scope of the game has increased greatly since then. Second city, stronghold, 15 level dungeon...

Yes, that second city seems like the biggest back-breaker. It probably means they won't be able to spend much time on the smaller settlements. I'd have preferred several small towns and villages; more of a medieval feel. But we'll see... :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."