PC as a Father/Mother Figure

I was very disappointed with D3 and the lack of interaction between the Demon Hunter and the boy who had lost his family. Seeing as it had such a strong link to the DH's background and motivations, I had hoped I could have influenced the boy to become a DH as well or taken him on as an apprentice. The conversations between the two seemed to be leading up to that and I was totally let down when it was 'Okay, see ya kid, bye.'

But I tend to play matrons or caregiver PCs (Yes, I'm a total Carebear) so maybe this was just my take on it.

Don't be like that Constance girl, she's weird - Manager @ Disneyland

RL Bard, Storyteller, and Costumer

I'd be a lousy mother and I'm definitely not the caregiver type (unless it's a pet cat....).

Don't mind some "save the kids" sidequests and such, but overall ... completely not interested in playing some deep, parental/mentor figure. If one of the companions has some issues in that regard, however...as a story/quest arc...that might be fine. Just don't drag "me" into it. :p

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't see a problem with it as long as it's optional.

As for how to pull it off without the kid being an annoying brat, I think Jim Sterling laid it out pretty well: you have to choose to let the child become the focus of the story (or side-story). The child can't be forced on you, and if s/he is, s/he needs to not be annoying.

I made up that last bit. But yeah. Jim said it best.

• Like 2

All party members are optional remember? so no one would be forced into taking on said character, but I do think it would be cool if their was a character who you could mentor, who would grow up different ways depending on what you told him. Maybe he could ultimately even become on enemy depending on what you said to him? very interesting to me.

• Like 2

Sorry, but I'm not a mother figure in rl and I don't want it in the games I play either.

Oh trust me, that tune will change when you get older. I used to be the same way.

People told me that sort of thing all the time, but my tune never changed. But then I've always been an odd duck. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ah Princess Maker...good ol' Princess Maker

Its even creepier when I read your post while looking at your avatar.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I have no problem with this. By which I mean, if the game had a companion who was younger, or newer to adventuring than I, I'd see no problem with the possibility that I could groom them, be their mentor, shape them with my advice. It would be fun to teach them about hope, justice, determination and all that crap; or to corrupt them and make them succumb to their rage. Or I could just go all Kreia on them and **** with their heads.

That said, as with romance, this should be optional. Also, their personality shouldn't be compromised as a result, they should still be their own person; but I have the option of altering the path that they choose to take.

• Like 1

What kind of responsible parent would go off to fight monsters, collect loot, become engaged in factional warfare, fight ancient abominations, etc.?

Your move, creep.

Well, if the world of PE is anything like the world of Berserk then raising your kid on the battlefield and teaching them to fight is the responsible thing to do.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'd rather focus on my character and his story than build up some relationship with a kid..or a being a mentor. It only means waste time of play to build him up while he won't be crucial or even useful to the game.

I'd rather focus on what's worth (deep character, background, faction, story) than adding something that optional and not necessary.

I think it'll work fine enough to just have an orphanage in town that you can visit and talk to the kids at, encouraging them to go risk their lives as adventurers or perhaps taunting them with the fact that they're parentless and likely to grow up (if they survive) to be vagrants and criminals. Maybe enable adoption and have them loiter around the player house. I think it is important that it be optional, and also have some impact in the game.

The whole mentor figure thing reminds me a lot of Kotor2 - in a good way. I think you should be able to influence people to progressively change their attitudes, or become more set in their ways.

Edited by UncleBourbon

Well, other games like Bioshock 2 and dishonored aimed for something similar - although neither case was really well executed - but I liked the idea of your own actions influencing other NPCs. Maybe instead of being a mentor to a child, our actions in the world might be able to influence our companions? Kinda like when y ou harden leliana or alistar in DA:O, but through your actions in quests, rather than just what you say to them specifically.

Well, other games like Bioshock 2 and dishonored aimed for something similar - although neither case was really well executed - but I liked the idea of your own actions influencing other NPCs. Maybe instead of being a mentor to a child, our actions in the world might be able to influence our companions? Kinda like when y ou harden leliana or alistar in DA:O, but through your actions in quests, rather than just what you say to them specifically.

Yeah, a lot like that. In KotoR2, your actions can build up/lower the influence you have on companions, and that is a sort of multiplier that alters the companion's alignment. Also, you can talk several of them into becoming jedi. This can change the ending for them, too. Something on a lower scale for an orphanage/kid would be interesting, but I think that is best left for other genre of games. I could see maybe finding funds/convincing the government/finding a donor to keep the orphanage running, or perhaps employing the children as a band of child thieves to support it, or something. That, or buying and selling them like cattle. Maybe worsen the situation, have the kids thrown out on the street, and get a cut of the profits from the pitiless capitalist who opens shop there? I don't know, but a small quest arc - even if it spans through most/some of the game would be preferable to going back to visit the kid and read him bedtime stories, to me.

The thing is while it's a good concept everytime it was actually tried in a game it ended up being wrongly done.

It seems like a difficult concept for me to be put in a game. Or else it should be done over a generational game (over 20 years or so).

Edited by Dawn_