I hadn't realized how much I missed watching the updates great stuff.

I worry that the scope of the project and huge amount of expectations (we did give 4 million on a promise that they'd recapture something we haven't had in a while) don't wear them down too badly! Best of luck couldn't have asked for a better bunch to give this thing a go.

Love the T-shirt, NOW that would be a bold (and great IMO) choice, Amon Tobin for the soundtrack! Too often "fantasy" music has automatically meant orchestral movie soundtrack blandness.

As for the update, I was wondering...what can we do ? You have this great community who will work for free, please use it \ us.

I know the P.E staff will come to the fotums for some fan feedback but how about something more preoactive, say have a competition to write a one page backstory on some of the companions, submitted to PE, they flick thru and choose the best one. Fan fiction might be 95%fluff but you will find a diamond in the rough every now and then.

Edited by brownypoints
  • Like 1

Bah, 'tis no problem. I am surprised that none of you noticed the midnight blue +5 Bracer of Swift Game Development Sawyer was wearing on his right wrist. Legend has it that he stole recovered it from BIS, in the crypt where a statue of Herve Caen looked menacingly over scenes of employee sacrifice.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The size and structure of the world - This game will be... large. And it will have two big cities, exploration areas, and a 15-level mega-dungeon. Ensuring that the world is planned properly requires examination of what has worked for us in the past and what hasn't. The original Baldur's Gate had a number of wilderness areas, but low density of content in many of those areas. Baldur's Gate II had much greater content density, but fewer wilderness/pure exploration areas. We'd like to make sure we have pure exploration areas while still maintaining good content density.

Hey Dudes PLEASE leave the low density wildernes areas. It is quite easy to be done, need only to assemble the terrains and invironment and in some of them you can put treasures, small quests, hidden places etc. WE WANT TO EXPLORE! :))))

Edited by Mazhlekov
  • Like 2

www.mazhlekov.com

www.portals.mazhlekov.com

Yay! An Update! I'm really curious how many lvls are needed to complete the art for the statue. I was hoping that we did complete it with 15 lvls but it seems as if we fell a bit short ;( Perhaps we can still make the 40k Facebook likes >.< Only ~12k left!

What about final Paypal numbers? Perhaps we qualify for another dungeon lvl? *Grabs each straw he can find*

Edited by Shiroco

I think I am kind of update addicted now XD

I really like the new dungeon artwork, but still there is the bitter feeling not seeing the statue in total...

And I doubt with the slow progress of the 40000 facebook likes we are still able toachieve the Level 16.

Anyway does someone know how long this will be possible?

I don't even know if one more level would be enough for the completion considering the proportions.

Yes I know we will get a lot of other stuff. But in my opinion, I think this also a kind of rpg player habit trying to achieve perfection ;-)

Nevertheless I really enjoy every bit of information shared with us.

This will be an awesome game

• Like 1

I really like the new dungeon artwork, but still there is the bitter feeling not seeing the statue in total...

Absolutely agree!!!

LET them surprise us, If we know everything before the game come out it will be very boring!

www.mazhlekov.com

www.portals.mazhlekov.com

Hand painted 2d backrounds with some 3d and animations sound great to me. Make it cool even if it takes a lot of memory ;)

When talking about making backrounds and the world coming alive I always remember the old Blade Runner game that still in my mind is beautifully made game. All the backrounds are animated and not static at all. I don't know what engine they used but still, it's a great example: http://youtu.be/k_FhzXFUAzE

Regarding the Blu-rays, did you take into consideration archiving? KGB Archiver supposedly is very good at getting files to their minimum size.

KGB is waaaaaay slow for commercial use. I don't want to buy an game and wait for a day (or more) before the whole thing is unpacked an installed.

The BG maps themselves were absolutely huge.

A good example is the full Saradush map I pieced together some years ago for the hell of it (I was going to do every map, but it was just way too much work)

http://img.photobuck...es/bgmaptry.jpg

This is drastically jpeg compressed, so I got it down to a little under 1 MB for a 3395x2882 map.

The full PNG file however, is 16.2 MB.

So given that the minimum resolution for BG was 640x480, and for PE they are talking about a minimum of 1920x1080, that makes almost a 7-fold difference in the number of pixels. That would make the static background of the same map around 110 MB in size. That makes it unlikely, in my opinion, that they will go for any higher resolutions, like 2560x1600, without upsampling (hopefully not) or increasing view area. Supporting the same map at the same view area and full background quality at WQXGA resolutions would mean another 2x increase in file size, and 220 MB for a single map static background, without any of the effects and props would be quite something.

Edited by stjuuv

I still only see the old 13 level design :(, otherwise cool update really looking forward to this

Delete your browser cache and reload.

I can't see the new image even in another browser. I've never been on that page in that browser.

A few people in the comments section have linked to this http://i.imgur.com/Ayktx.jpg which appears to be the 15 floor dungeon artwork.

I'm not sure if we're 1 or 2 floors away from the bottom of the foot, but it does make me a little sad we won't get to see it in the artwork.

I can only hope the expansion will add floors :) I wanna see this thing go all the way to hell damnit.

Thanks! I guess they've left something for the 16th level. Something like a foot.