Quality of 3d character models and animations

I generally use the freeform graphite tools that come with Max, with the extend and conform brush I get it done fairly fast. Still doing an optimization is faster than a whole retop and seeing how fast Zbrush is progressing I wouldn't be surprised if retopologizing and UV unwrapping become things of the past. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just really want beautiful character models and great combat animations. Sure spell effects and all that are really easy to make look nice. But for melee orientated characters like the fighter, I want those sword strikes to have a visual "oomph" to it that's satisfying to watch. It shouldn't be complicated to implement really. Just some visceral combat. I want that hit impact like you get in games like Dark Souls. Feels weighty and good and tangible. 

Calibrating...

more generally speaking, i'd say that any uninterruptable animation, that takes the control away from the player for a relatively long time and has no other purpose than "looking awesome", can quite rapidly become anoying; mounting and dismounting ladders, pulling levers, turning valves, opening chests or doors or drawers, etc. the newer games do it all the time. granted, that's more of a problem in more 'personally controlled' first person or over the shoulder games, but the rule of thumb can be applied everywhere: animations should complement the gameplay, not get in th way of it.

or, in short:

responsiveness is key.

luckily, and i believe Mr. Sawyer is well avare of that.

I just really want beautiful character models and great combat animations. Sure spell effects and all that are really easy to make look nice. But for melee orientated characters like the fighter, I want those sword strikes to have a visual "oomph" to it that's satisfying to watch. It shouldn't be complicated to implement really. Just some visceral combat. I want that hit impact like you get in games like Dark Souls. Feels weighty and good and tangible. 

You do realise this is an isometric game, not an over-the-shoulder like Dark Souls. Making things look like that is just a waste of time, since you wont be able to see it the same way.

Also, I really hate the term "it shouldn't be complicated to implement"...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The Neverwinter Nights games did a good job of combat animation, in my opinion.  They may have been generic, but the dodges and blocks looked clean and believable enough.  If PoE can make combat look at least that good, I'm perfectly happy.

At least we can say NWN1 did (NWN2 felt kind of a step down in the animation department since they removed some of them rather then adding more), definitely loved the animation where if your duel wielding two weapons and the opponent does one form of a miss, one of the reaction animations is seeing the blades (take long swords for example) blocking the enemies weapon and having sparks fly. 

• Like 1