The addition of a house and stronghold raises a question. Can the player start a family? In games like Fallout it was possible to marry an NPC and they often became a worthless follower. In PE if you find someone to become your bride, they don't have to follow you around because there is a stronghold to manage. I like the idea of having certain NPCs be romance options, rather than just be limited to your companions. You could marry and potentially have an heir. This also opens up quest options like having a family member kidnapped, or attempted assassinations.

If done I'd prefer it not to be like Skyrim or Fable where you can just walk up to someone random with a ring (or amulet) and have them marry you. They should be a few unique NPCs to choose from with different personalities and potentially different benifits. One might be an excellent financial manager who offers a bonus to stronghold income. One might be more martially inclined and add a boost to your personal guard.

Just a few thoughts, I'd like to hear from other people with suggestions, and of course from those that think it's a horrible idea and why.

Nah, don't need anything that involved. Just thought it'd be a nice touch to make the player feel more grounded in the world. You're not just a faceless hero.

I get that some people knee jerk about this kind of stuff, but I'm not talking about fully fleshed-out life simutation, just that your character in the course of their adventures might find someone to share their non-adventuring time with.

Edit: Man I get that people hate the Bio-romances. What about Fallout 2's shotgun wedding, or cheating with Mrs. Bishop. It doesn't have to be a full blown melodrama.

Edited by Kane_Severance

I understand people's reaction, althought I gotta admit: I'm a sucker for this kinda stuff :geek:.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I don't care for typical Bioware romances, but I love when I can establish my character in a game. I always do the shotgun wedding, lol.

I think it's a good idea, and worth putting to Obsidian for consideration. They are likely the best people to determine whether it is feasible with the resources they have or not.

Agreed. You can say, "I don't want them to waste resources" about a lot of things. Some things like voice-overs or animated cutscenes, actually do require a large amount of resources. This would only take a few more NPC models and some written dialog. Not a huge addition.

• Like 4

I like the way people always say "nooo! it'll take too much time and resources!!!" followed by "and anyway a mod will be out in 5 minutes!!1" ...make up your minds, lol

(not really aimed at the poster above, just seems to be the usual argument, usually from people who want in depth NPCs in every other way)

Edited by motorizer

Because modders and guys like the OP give as much thought to writing as an actual author and game developing team, right?

Not sure what you're responding to. If you're talking about me asserting that adding written dialog is not a huge time sink, that's relatively true. Written dialog is some of the easiest stuff to add. Of course it takes some time, but not as much as say designing a town or adding art assets.

It might be interesting if the PC had an old flame that he or she could re-kindle... with a sufficient quantity of buttering up. That approach was taken (somewhat) in The WItcher and I think it would add more depth to the character's background. It would also cut to the chase faster.

290px-Chapter_I_Alvin_and_Shani.jpg

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I dunno, my tabletop experience suggests to me that, if P:E let's you have a family, than they will be horribly killed in P:E2.

If I decide to have a child in game, I fully expect that in the sequel or expansion my child will be used against me. Possibly even corrupted by demons and set out to destroy everything I created. Would be good times. :)

The addition of a house and stronghold raises a question. Can the player start a family? In games like Fallout it was possible to marry an NPC and they often became a worthless follower. In PE if you find someone to become your bride, they don't have to follow you around because there is a stronghold to manage. I like the idea of having certain NPCs be romance options, rather than just be limited to your companions. You could marry and potentially have an heir. This also opens up quest options like having a family member kidnapped, or attempted assassinations.

If done I'd prefer it not to be like Skyrim or Fable where you can just walk up to someone random with a ring (or amulet) and have them marry you. They should be a few unique NPCs to choose from with different personalities and potentially different benifits. One might be an excellent financial manager who offers a bonus to stronghold income. One might be more martially inclined and add a boost to your personal guard.

Just a few thoughts, I'd like to hear from other people with suggestions, and of course from those that think it's a horrible idea and why.

baf90fe460f1t.jpg

Edited by Dronios

All I ask is that if you give me a family, don't make me martyr myself in the end like 99% of RPGs out there. Can't I be the good guy that lives happily ever after? Come on!

I doubt that, they've already said they hope to make sequels where you carry your character over

Not sure what you're responding to. If you're talking about me asserting that adding written dialog is not a huge time sink, that's relatively true. Written dialog is some of the easiest stuff to add. Of course it takes some time, but not as much as say designing a town or adding art assets.

That just proves my point. You think a good dialogue tree/character takes almost nothing. Just buy Sims Medieval, or continue playing Skyrim and you can add as much [erotic fanfiction] as you want. No need to spend resources for that crap in an RPG

sometimes they do yeah, everybody started somewhere

And the thing is, modders that do these kind of mods just write bad fanfiction.

I doubt that, they've already said they hope to make sequels where you carry your character over

What's to doubt? If my character lives from one game to the next, it means i lived past the end of the first game. And when all 17 sequals are released, I would still like to be alive and see my loved onces, country, and coffer grow, as I retire near a beach I have cleared out to drink fictional ****tails with little umbrellas poking out of the top.

That just proves my point. You think a good dialogue tree/character takes almost nothing. Just buy Sims Medieval, or continue playing Skyrim and you can add as much [erotic fanfiction] as you want. No need to spend resources for that crap in an RPG

Not sure where you're getting that I'm asking for erotic fanfiction. I have had conversationswith and listened to interview with developers about writing dialog and it is one of the least resource intensive things involved in making games. Whether the writing is good depends on the writer.

Tone down the hostility. You're not coming across very intelligently.

Edited by Kane_Severance

In games like Fallout it was possible to marry an NPC and they often became a worthless follower. In PE if you find someone to become your bride, they don't have to follow you around because there is a stronghold to manage.

Now I want to have a storyline where you come back to your stronghold only to find that your S.O. has turned it into a bed and breakfast.

• Like 1

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.