What about Greek Mythological monsters? (harpy, dryad, satyr, pegasus)

If you take a closer look at D&D then you'll notice that the authors of the various rule books and campaign settings have been inspired by myths from all over the world.

A few examples:

• Rakshasa (india, south east asia)
  • Mummy (ancient egypt and other cultures known to use mummification practices)
  • Minotaur (ancient greece, minoic culture)
  • Ifrit (islamic, arabia)
  • Gargoyle (medieval europe, gothic architecture)

If you dig deep enough you'll even find references to the pre-conquest americas (north america/mesoamerica/south america), ancient persia, africa, east asia, etc.

If it fits the campaign setting or can be integrated with a plausible explanation/lore background then there is no obstacle in taking inspiration from various real world myths.

Edited by beerflavour
  • Like 2

The monsters in Dragon's Dogma were pretty neat.

Also PE could make use of mostly unknown creature from the German mythology. German mythology has a few awesome things like elves (no, not the Tolkien elves, Tolkien elves are called "Elben" in German, because elves "Elfen" are much more related to fairies than to Tolkien).

Hereis a German list of a few fable creatures from the German lore. I especially like Nachtmähren and Klabautermänner. Or the Tatzelwurm.

Nachtmahr_%28Abildgaard%29.jpg

tumblr_lsg1cmplIY1qehyxro1_400.jpg

Wolpertinger.jpg

Also: owlbears!

Edited by SophosTheWise

Elan_song.gif

With greek monsters ther is one problem they are popular you don't need any research to get gist of them all, thats why while its really hard to make them properly, it is possible to make them really interesting but this art that is much harder than other mythological creatures,

What I would like is maybe, something Slavic, ( also who said that Russian isn't slavic, Russians, are like archetype of Slavic, and I am from Poland , I am obligated by law to hate them ;) ), or maybe African, or from America either North or Mezo

The Witcher books and games use a lot of Slavic mythology and monsters. Really good stuff.

Find AD&D monster manuals and compendums for more lulz, they'r all there - swan maidens, hags, vodyanoi and even gorynych. There are even a few vodyanoi in Icewind Dale 1, at Icasaracht's temple I think.

Edited by Shadenuat

They add that element of uncertainty, too

That's exactly it! We're so familiar with all the trolls and ogres that new, weird creatures could really create a cool atmosphere. Not all that pseudo-new stuff that is just the same concept repainted. Sylvari *cough* *cough*

Elan_song.gif

Dilldapp is the new white gazebo.

In seriousness, I don't think it's a good idea to base every region on a different existant culture, or even to base only one on a real culture and the others are generic fantasy. That would be pretty horrible IMO. Now the entire Dyrwood region could be based on one specific culture/ epoch but I don't think so after reading the lore tidbits.

Edited by Sacred_Path

So, how do people feel about Greek Mythological monster types?

Overused, and they were uninspired when the Greeks came up with them. Honestly, most of them sound like stoned frat boys trying to impress you.

"Wait, wait, how about this . . . it has the WINGS OF A BEE, the HEAD OF A TIGER, the ASS of, um, a . . . FISH, and the, um, the . . . the . . . BODY HAIR of a SNAKE!! YEAH!!!"

"Dude, snakes don't have body hair."

"Body hair MADE OUT OF SNAKES, I meant!"

"Duuuuude."

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Trying to fend off a Kraken attack in a boat would be wonderfully horrifying.

I have a feeling Golems are going to be included in the game.

Koschei the Immortal sounds amazing, I may have to include that character in a Fantasycraft game I'm running. It'd be great to see some Germanic/Central-European creatures of myth included in addition to the usual Celtic troupes.

I personally like a lot of the weird and funny Japanese demons and mythical creatures often depicted in manga and anime, my favorite one is however the snow woman/witch as she is depicted in various tales either as evil or good (or both), I believe partially the Japanese and Russian folklore was that inspired the White-Haired Witch and the Winter Witch in the Pathfinder RPG as well.

It might also be fun to play as some shapeshifter or half-demon, using again a Japanese manga/anime example, Inuyasha comes to mind as an interesting concept for that.

IB1OsQq.png