What about Greek Mythological monsters? (harpy, dryad, satyr, pegasus)

One thing I find that makes a big difference for me in games is monster variety.

For example, one thing that I find realy disappointing about Skyrim is the slim selection of monsthers, there are basically just bandits, skeletons, vampires, dragons, trolls, animals, and a couple other minor ones that you hardly ever see like hagravens.

I realy hope that PE can come up with a fun and varied selection of monster types.

So, how do people feel about Greek Mythological monster types?

I realize that Pegasus would probably be game-breaking if they could be tamed, but it could be made part of the lore of the game that they simply can not be tamed under any circumstance.

When I think of Obsidian coming up with "fun and varied" monster types, I definitely don't think of any existing myths/tropes in our world... Unless there's some major subversion going on.

• Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

When I think of Obsidian coming up with "fun and varied" monster types, I definitely don't think of any existing myths/tropes in our world... Unless there's some major subversion going on.

Well I hope they don't go Dr. Seus on us and start inventing Kervuvles and Snerzes and Snaups.

Well I hope they don't go Dr. Seus on us and start inventing Kervuvles and Snerzes and Snaups.

Nah, they wouldn't. I forgot to add that it would be cool if they avoided virtually everything in the D&D bestiary, but that probably wouldn't go over as well. :p

I'm reminded of fairies in Jo Walton's book Among Others. They were described as being very much different from the typical notion these days--"Not all of the fairies are beautiful and actually most of them are ugly and not humanoid shaped at all."

Edited by Ieo

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I'm reminded of fairies in Jo Walton's book Among Others. They were described as being very much different from the typical notion these days--"Not all of the fairies are beautiful and actually most of them are ugly and not humanoid shaped at all."

That was great book. It haunted me for days. Really amazing considering nothing much actually happens in terms of action during the book itself, it all deals with the aftermath of what would normally be the "main" story.

Oh man, Russian mythological beings would be super rad.

Could you describe a few? I'm pretty ignorant unless Baba Yaga counts.

The Witcher books and games use a lot of Slavic mythology and monsters. Really good stuff.

Edited by ImRhoven

I agree, monster variety is important. What i would like to see is a healthy mix of mythological creatures (Werewolf, Goblin, Troll, Spriggan, Minotaur etc.), real life animals (Bear, Boar, Wolf, Deer, Horse etc.), creatures based on real life animals (Giant Spiders is an example of this) and completely new and original creatures. Too many mythological and real life creatures makes the world feel uninspiring and cliché while too many original creatures makes the world feel too alien and strange. But that's just the way i feel.

• Like 1

No thanks. I don't want this turning into Might & Magic.

There are tons of weird and unusual monsters in Medieval folklore which would probably be much better suited to the setting.

Besides, while creature variety is often important in games, I really don't want many monsters in Project Eternity at all. I hate it in games when monsters are overused as bosses at the end of a battle/quest/dungeon. I'd much rather have mostly human/humanoid enemies, with monsters being extremely rare to encounter in the world. Encountering one should trigger a sense of wonder and discovery, not just "oh look, another big bad boss to kill".

Edited by Piccolo
  • Like 2

When the fantastical ceases to be fantastic or shocking, I think it's safe to say the developers have included too many creatures or at least have put too many in front of you. I'm sure this game will need a balance, but like Piccolo, I want to be shocked and a put on my heels when I encounter that chimera in the depths of Eir Glanfath.

The Dryads were nymphs; they were in essence tree spirits. Does PE's world support the existence of a soul of a tree? If so what does it mean? Do other natural features have souls like the other nymphs, Naiads, Anthousai, Oceanaids, etc?

Do objects get souls (similar to the Tsukumogami - objects that come to life after they reach 100 years)?

What would a "harpy" or "satyr" mean in context of PE's mythology? Creatures with warped fragmented souls who turned to dark magic to complete their soul via bonding with animal souls? Will animals have souls?

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Could you describe a few? I'm pretty ignorant unless Baba Yaga counts.

The Witcher books and games use a lot of Slavic mythology and monsters. Really good stuff.

'Russian' doesn't equal 'Slavic' and vice versa. Also, we don't know much about Slavic mythology compared to German (Scandinavian) or Greek. And I think that Slavic traditional monsters like vodyanoi, rusalki, Koschei the Immortal and Baba Yaga wouldn't really fit in PE universe. That Celtic stuff that Sawyer was talking about sounds much more interesting.

Edited by Lysen
  • Like 1

Given the way Project Eternity was 'sold' to potential backers on Kickstarter, it would make sense to include classical fantasy monsters (like Greek) because this game is in the vein of Dungeons & Dragons and titles like Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, or Icewind Dale.

• Like 1

Well, most "real-world" mythological creatures are already well established as fantasy creatures I don't see a problem with it.

• Like 1

"How was I supposed to know it was that stone that held the dragons at bay... I mean it just stood there looking dull anyway"

'Russian' doesn't equal 'Slavic' and vice versa.

*facepalm*

Also, we don't know much about Slavic mythology compared to German (Scandinavian) or Greek.

We = you?

And I think that Slavic traditional monsters like vodyanoi, rusalki, Koschei the Immortal and Baba Yaga wouldn't really fit in PE universe. That Celtic stuff that Sawyer was talking about sounds much more interesting.

vodyanoi = merman;

rusalka = mermaid;

Koschei the Immortal = archetypical lich;

Baba Yaga = hag or just a forest whitch.

So yeah, totaly not fit in PE universe. Mainly because it don't sound familiar to you. Unlike "that Celtic stuff". *facepalm*

Lich with needle as phylactery. This niddle is hidden in egg, which is hidden in duck, which is hidden in hare, which is hidden in chest...

Sounds like a fun quest chain for me)

Edited by Comedian
  • Like 1
Is nomine vacans liberarit vobis ex servitut.

Is nomine vacans redit vobis ars magica.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that Skyrim could have used more monster variety, but I do think it was a good thing that it tried to keep the monsters thematically consistent.

I think P:E should use a wide variety of monsters but make ones that are tailored to their setting rather than adopting monsters from various mythologies wholesale and dropping them in like one might find in a D&D game.

From what I understand, the PE world is much bigger than what we're being introduced to in this game. Thus, there might be more "monsters" in the universe than what we see in this first game. Secondly, this isn't supposed to be an Earth repliac, so having fantastical creatures wouldn't be a bad thing. The only monster I know we will have are biamhacs, the spirit winds.

I do like having different parts of the world being culturally different. We might just not be introduced to everything here in the first game, though.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html