Why does everybody always bring up twilight. Vampire and Werewolf stories were around for years before it came out, there are thousands of other sources PE could draw on when depicting them, I see no reason why they would even consider twilight.

people always mention it because it is the bottom of the barrel, absolute worst, and by mentioning it (with disgust) they can give the developers (if they read this) some of an idea about what people like / don't like

With a low-magic world, both concepts are a bit out of place, because such transformations are physically impossible. I realize actual physics are not applicable, but still, it is a ludicrous concept.

And that's ignoring the fact that both are media tropes that are overdone. Same goes for zombies (even though I have dreams of some ideal zombie apocalypse game that will never be made, I still have to admit the last 8-odd years of Western media have been over-saturated with zombie everything.)

Edited by AGX-17

With a low-magic world, both concepts are a bit out of place, because such transformations are physically impossible. I realize actual physics are not applicable, but still, it is a ludicrous concept.

And that's ignoring the fact that both are media tropes that are overdone. Same goes for zombies (even though I have dreams of some ideal zombie apocalypse game that will never be made, I still have to admit the last 8-odd years of Western media have been over-saturated with zombie everything.)

Still, I think some elements of gothic horror style novels with involvement of vampires and werewolves can be quite in tact even with low magic setting, if done right. And, of course, presented by individual representatives rather than societies.

Player character as vampire or werewolf? THAT'S will be out of place, since P:E is not a gothic horror game.

Edited by Comedian
Is nomine vacans liberarit vobis ex servitut.

Is nomine vacans redit vobis ars magica.

Vampires are so played out, I hope they are not in PE. I don't care strongly one way or the other about werewolves.

That's a really bad path to walk down for a fantasy game of old. Everything has been done repeatedly...

Plus, Vampires are awesome when done right (and I mean original 'Dracula' vampire stories), fast, hard to kill (Decapitation or it will eventually regenerate).

For reference; Dracula was as Strong as 20 men, really fast, has hypnosis/telepahy and can defy gravity a little (not fly out right mind).

Edited by Juneau

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.

A "vampire" is essentially a human parasite; could easily be adapted to the world by having a normal person whose soul is fractured in such a way that they've become a creature who must absorb the energy of other people's soul. This would be seen as a horror in the PE universe from what lore I've read (and a reason for cultures that hate fractured souls to point to why they hate them). Children born this way may be left out to die and perhaps a cult, other vampires or something try to find, rescue and raise them.

Or perhaps "vampirism" is a state inflicted on people who perform necromancy (and have it go horribly wrong). Works the same way (absorbing soul energy) but still has a cause rooted in the PE world.

A "werewolf" could be a fractured human soul that on rebirth bonded with a wolf soul to try and become whole. Cultures who didn't like fractures souls would hate werewolves, however some cultures could see great favor in this (say barbarians or druids).

Low-magic or not, these kind of ideas could play within the lore of the world and the use of souls as a primary force. As I said earlier in the thread the way to make these kind of creatures - IMO - would be to look at the basics of the concept and apply it to the underpinning nature of the PE world, not to drop in Dracula and the Wolfman into PE and run with it.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

A "vampire" is essentially a human parasite; could easily be adapted to the world by having a normal person whose soul is fractured in such a way that they've become a creature who must absorb the energy of other people's soul. This would be seen as a horror in the PE universe from what lore I've read (and a reason for cultures that hate fractured souls to point to why they hate them). Children born this way may be left out to die and perhaps a cult, other vampires or something try to find, rescue and raise them.

Or perhaps "vampirism" is a state inflicted on people who perform necromancy (and have it go horribly wrong). Works the same way (absorbing soul energy) but still has a cause rooted in the PE world.

A "werewolf" could be a fractured human soul that on rebirth bonded with a wolf soul to try and become whole. Cultures who didn't like fractures souls would hate werewolves, however some cultures could see great favor in this (say barbarians or druids).

Low-magic or not, these kind of ideas could play within the lore of the world and the use of souls as a primary force. As I said earlier in the thread the way to make these kind of creatures - IMO - would be to look at the basics of the concept and apply it to the underpinning nature of the PE world, not to drop in Dracula and the Wolfman into PE and run with it.

The idea of spiritual parasitism would be sound, but without all the tomfoolery and cliches of vampirism associated. If they're people who have some sort of spiritual affliction they shouldn't run around talking about how they're a seperate, superior race and everyone else is a literal cow like every elder scrolls game.

The idea of spiritual parasitism would be sound, but without all the tomfoolery and cliches of vampirism associated. If they're people who have some sort of spiritual affliction they shouldn't run around talking about how they're a seperate, superior race and everyone else is a literal cow like every elder scrolls game.

Right, I agree that would not be the way to do it. I think for the PE world to really pull us in, they need to think about how to integrate the concepts of creatures like these (that is *if* they decide to include them) so that it feels like part of the setting and not like Vampire: The Masquerade broke out in the middle of Project Eternity.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

With a low-magic world, both concepts are a bit out of place...

Ravenloft has them both in spades. It is low-magic settings, where the magic exists is often very dangerous on a spiritual level, and unless you're in a more "enlightened" nation you'll get a mob of angry villages with torches and pitchforks trying to kill you if you cast your magic to openly. Superstitious locals, and all.

To me, I depends all on how is handled.

Maybe in the setting, there is only one vampire. He was once a human wizard, in love with an elven maid, who rebuffed his advances because while she did care for him, she could not bare to lose him to age (assuming elves are long lived)... However, he could not take no for an answer. He practiced a nercomantic rite in hopes of gaining immortality - but something went horribly wrong. He gained immortality but lost his soul - in horror, his love killer herself, throwing herself from the window of his castle - now, he dwells in his castle, haunted by the soul of his dead love, and has grown bitter and hateful. He now hunts the near by village, preying on young lovers - drinking their blood, yes - but also part of their soul.

*Shrugs.* A way to play the vampire, in something that might fight the setting (or might not). It isn't so hard to do similar things with werewolves, too.

The problem with stuff, is never, ever the actual creature - but the way things are handled.

As long as we have the option of playing a Dhampir, sure, lets bring in Vampires!

Seriously though, it totally matters on how its implemented. If we have vampires, I want at least one ancient, completely insane, suped up with bizarre powers vamp that might kills its offspring as easily as it kills others. I don't want a bunch of human looking goth suckers. Either make them ultra cool and interesting with a tight vignette around their inclusion or leave them out. Same with werewolves. A mediocre, half-hearted inclusion would be worse than a waste of time.

I rather like V&W but PT shouldnt explore it. Even if they put just small sidequests that invole those groups ppl are gonna emerge asking " i want to be vampire/werewolf " " Why i cant conduct the disease"... We dont want that, it would require some bigger effort to include those properly and its rather beaten path that not everyone like.

List of hostile creatures I want in the game:

1. Bog Wights

2. Mudskipper Piranhas

3. Shatterjaws

4. Taipans

5. Journalists

6. Soulbound Funnelwebs

7. Crimson Faeries

8. Will o the Wisps

List of friendly creatures I want in the game:

1. Wolves.

2. Even bigger wolves.

3. An entire army of Dire Wolves.

4. Crows.

I hope Obsidian will consider these. I really like crows and wolves, I don't want to kill them. :(

• Like 1

Why does everybody always bring up twilight. Vampire and Werewolf stories were around for years before it came out, there are thousands of other sources PE could draw on when depicting them, I see no reason why they would even consider twilight.

people always mention it because it is the bottom of the barrel, absolute worst, and by mentioning it (with disgust) they can give the developers (if they read this) some of an idea about what people like / don't like

I guess but I'd rather just pretend it never happened. I swear Stephanie Meyer single-handedly ruined the reputation of an entire sub-genre(actually two) with one series.

Edited by jezz555
  • Like 1

I'm pretty tired of werewolves and vampires in general. Done to death all over every facet of pop culture. Even Skyrim had to make two major questlines about being a werewolf or being a vampire.

I don't want to be a werewolf. I don't want to be a vampire. I don't want an angst-filled plotline. I don't even want a major plotline centered around werewolves or vampires. I don't mind if they are a type of monster that I can kill, as long as I don't have to have emo conversations with them.

If there ARE werewolves and vampires of any sort, please go OLD school with them. Like, pre-Hollywood old school... no silver bullets, etc., but old nightmares from legend that aren't really human anymore.

If there are no werewolves or vampires at all, that would be just fine.

Also, it'd be lovely if there were no spiders, but I realize it's some sort of rule that there have to be spiders.

It would be very nice if random wildlife didn't attack me (e.g., normal wolves). It's fine if monstrous, evil versions of wildlife attack me.

Thanks. >_>

If there are Vampires make sure they don't sparkle. If there are Werewolves we may get Weresharks.

Less is more when it comes to certain classic troupes, and I think the whole Werewolf versus Vampire battle is a bit overdone.