I'm all for vampires and werewolves as long as they aren't all mad/crazy killing machines.

Look up Vampire: the masquerade (not the game itself though it wasn't a bad representation of the books/pen & paper rpg it came from), those vampires had an agenda. Some were complete loonies with insane ideas of morality (usually the older ones who had very weird views which they had because they lived more then a 1000 years) , some were apathetic, some searching for a way out of their curse, some just trying to get as many kicks out of this as possible since they were doomed already, ... . Diverse lot those guys, they present a lot of story opportunities, I wouldn't mind having one or more of those as allies (not a companion) or as enemies (I still remember bodhi from baldur's gate 2). Was also fun that they acted only at night.

Werewolves also have something like that, werewolf the apocalypse. I personally thought the shamanism part there and the raving about mother nature wasn't particularly fun but they are so much more as well.

Just saying they can have an interesting story as well, they don't have to be monsters who storm at you with punishing attacks (level drain *shudders*)

• Like 2

The question is: why? What would werewolves and vampires add to the game? How do they fit into culture, mythology and the whole soul-thingy?

If they add them because "everybody likes them, duh" - then I don't want them. However, if there is a good - and original! - explanation of their existence, then I'll be fine with this decision.

Instead of regular werewolves I'd rather see something akin to skin-changers. Stealing a soul of animal, fusing with it, maybe even having your own soul stolen.

I don't really care about vampires. I never understood what's so great about them.

I like vampire, and honestly I'd like to have a part time vampire companion! Like to try to be friendly and all, then an ambush to turn you into one of them. Yeah I'd like the idea

Edited by Eldmore

I will bravely raise my sword against anything to protect whoever I choose to serve.

I don't think them being popular in current media is a good reason to exclude them. You may as well say that because elves are pretty much in all fantasy games and literature ever that it's ridiculous PE is including them and they should try something new (not exactly the same situation, but not too far from the mark). My point is not all good ideas are original ideas, and if PE did have them in the game I'm sure they'd have a take on the myths that we've never seen before.

The question is: why? What would werewolves and vampires add to the game? How do they fit into culture, mythology and the whole soul-thingy?

If they add them because "everybody likes them, duh" - then I don't want them. However, if there is a good - and original! - explanation of their existence, then I'll be fine with this decision.

Instead of regular werewolves I'd rather see something akin to skin-changers. Stealing a soul of animal, fusing with it, maybe even having your own soul stolen.

I don't really care about vampires. I never understood what's so great about them.

Lore is still being fleshed out so if they can tie in or not remains to be seen.

If they have to stretch lore crazily just to put vampires in then yes, they should remain out.

I would enjoy a fantasy world without vampires or werewolves for once. Unless you can make them legitimately scary I guess. But that never happens because there's always some spell or item that destroys them utterly and its only a matter of time before your party starts chunking them into little pieces in routine combat encounters.

But then, the addition of rather typical classes and races already has me worried.

Same here, but I guess for their first Kickstarter game and especially the first major attempt at isometric cRPG revival, they most likely wanted to do something a bit closer to the likes of BG or ID. Something the fans of these games feel right at home with. And that's probably why we have dwarves and elves and paladins.

Personally, with a completely new IP, I had hoped they'd be a bit more innovative as well, but I'm still certain the game will come out great.

On the matter at hand, I'm not sure. Vampires could work maybe more along the lines of soul vampires. As in, creatures, who for some reason (be it a curse or simply because they were born that way) need to feed on souls of other people to sustain themselves.

Werewolves on the other hand, well, they could of course be in, it's a fantasy world, so why not? But I guess with the soul theme and all it would be nice if there was something like being able to call upon the (consumed?) souls of animals to gain some of their characteristics but not really changing physically.

I don't know if I'd be pleased to see vampires and werewolves running around. They are about as innovative and interesting as skeletons wearing helmets and wielding swords.

Funny, because I actually want skeletons with helmets in PE... and rats, vampires, zombies, trolls, giants, wolves, etc etc...

I love Werewolves. They are easily my favorite mythological creature. I'm okay with Vampires too. But perhaps that's just because i haven't seen/read Twilight. It sounds like it can make any person hate them. While Werewolves and especialy Vampires is certainly far from uncommon in movies and games. I'm far from having seen it so many times that i'm becoming tired of them. Zombies is an entirely different matter though. But then, i was never able to see what's so cool or scary about a bunch of sluggish death people.

I would like to see them in the game, certainly, especially Werewolves, assuming of course, that they are done right and fits into the world. I would also love if my character was able to become a Werewolf, again, assuming they can make it work and make sense in a party based story driven rpg. I've never played one where the player could become a Werewolf though so i don't know if it's possible.

I'm a bit neutral on the subject. If they're there, they're there, if not *shrug*.

But a few thoughts:

If Vampires were adapted to PE's setting mythology, my thinking is that for them to be the horror for PE that they should be for us (literary created sympathies aside) perhaps the idea would be that they leech the actual souls of people (rather than blood)? This would probably make them one of the most reviled creatures in PE mythology and one which would be seen as a bane on existence. Perhaps the victim becomes a souless shell instead of dying? (a zombie? A vessel for a an animal soul to inhabit?)

If Werewolves were adapted to PE's setting mythology, the idea for werewolves is usually the idea of a man who is possessed of an animal like nature (willingly or through a curse) which may include transformation into said animal. Perhaps there is dark magic that allows for some kind of "soul transference" between man and beast? A curse on a human "soul" ripping it from its shell and placing in an animal body (and if the mythology says animals have souls, that animals soul in a human body?) The curse givers - like the Vampire above - would be seen as an affront to nature and the cycle of souls; the werecreature(s) may be both pitied and feared...

Or something. I think there are ways to put these types of creatures in PE, but they really must be filtered through PE's reality and mythology and not just dropping Dracula or the Camarilla or Larry Talbot down in PE and just moving on.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think both races have been over used, can't say I was impressed with them in Morrowind, and a few other games, I prefer PE to have new monsters and races, rather then reusing races like vampires, we see them everywhere, isn't it about time to change this?

so I say now to vamps werewolves, not my cup of tea, also if you do become a vampire, and the game has a day and night cycle (I hope) then been a vampire will be a pain, it was in morrowind, as soon as I became one, I did what I had to do to remove it, sure the bonuses were nice, but not been able to travel around in the sun was a real annoyance, so depending on that kind of maps PE will use, travelling around when a vampire will not be fun

as for werewolves I just think they should be in either, so again, I just don't want them in

Weresharks would be pretty cool and unique I think, but one kind of monster that needs to be in more games would be The Thing, like the John Carpenter movie Thing, that would certainly offer cool and interesting quest opportunities. If that's not in the game, I'll figure how to mod PE and put it in myself.

"Six bullets. More than enough to kill anything that moves."

"Simon! Let's see you grit those teeth!"

Weresharks would be pretty cool and unique I think,

funny more than cool.

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/gytf2i/land-shark

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Why does everybody always bring up twilight. Vampire and Werewolf stories were around for years before it came out, there are thousands of other sources PE could draw on when depicting them, I see no reason why they would even consider twilight.

• Like 1

I do not really mind both monsters, but I would prefer to see different kind of monsters. Original ideas for monsters are sometimes pretty neat, but I guess there always need to be some base set of monsters; giant spiders, wolves, bears, ogres, trolls, orcs, goblins/kobolds... which means also werewolves and vampires.

Vampires would be great if done right. Although there are good movies and countless books around vampires in RPG's are mostly included as mindless monsters.

Actually the only RPG I know where vampires were done right was Vampire Bloodlines, my favourite RPG along with BG2 and Fallout2.

It would be great to have a city with different vampire clans (kind of Vampire New Reno). There's also lot's of potential for interesting companions or NPC's.

• Like 3