I don't mind them being in games, I just want them to be more based on their old styles and that they avoid the new style (which for some reason I equate to twilight(ish) which is just plain wrong on so many levels).

Although I would like to see them as more than just beasts or mindless monsters.

• Like 5

I don't want either of those in. But if they do make it in, then I want some interesting subversion/twists, and absolutely none of that Twilight garbage. Garbage.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I don't want either of those in. But if they do make it in, then I want some interesting subversion/twists, and absolutely none of that Twilight garbage. Garbage.

I would be really surprised if they did anything in the twilight style of vampires/werewolves.

The only reason I could see to so something twilightish would be to cater to that particular fan-base, but it seems highly unlikely that the twilight fanbase has any sort of cross over with Obsidian fans, so there would be no reason to catter to them.

Edited by metacontent

I will speak thoughts as to werewolves here. With the idea of souls dominating the IP here, I think we could incorporate that into myths of lycanthropy. A couple ideas:

1) Someone has purposefully or accidentliy killed the animal in question and absorbed the wolf's/bear's/badger's (please, we need badgers) and as such has the ability and/or compulsion to turn into a hybrid form of said animal.

2) It could be part of a returned soul cycle. Someone who was so vile and animalistic in a previous cycle returns, but the soul now reflects this stain by transforming into the werewolf (sort of like the Greek myth of Lycaon myth [as with many Greek myths, best preserved in Ovid's, a Roman, poem the Metamorphoses]).

• Like 3

I will speak thoughts as to werewolves here. With the idea of souls dominating the IP here, I think we could incorporate that into myths of lycanthropy. A couple ideas:

1) Someone has purposefully or accidentliy killed the animal in question and absorbed the wolf's/bear's/badger's (please, we need badgers) and as such has the ability and/or compulsion to turn into a hybrid form of said animal.

2) It could be part of a returned soul cycle. Someone who was so vile and animalistic in a previous cycle returns, but the soul now reflects this stain by transforming into the werewolf (sort of like the Greek myth of Lycaon myth [as with many Greek myths, best preserved in Ovid's, a Roman, poem the Metamorphoses]).

That is a very interesting twist.

Building on your idea:

When someone kills a particularly evil animal who has a particularly strong soul, the animal soul has a chance to possess the person as a sort of revenge which results in lycanthropy, but it would be extremely rare of course.

• Like 3

Does anyone know if these types of creatures are confirmed to be in game?

How do people feel about them if they are in the game?

I would love for once to have a game blessedly free of those transmutated humans that Victorian writers have cursed literature with.

• Like 5

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I would rather see some type of berzerker or something that engages in animalistic behavior after calling upon an animal's soul or spirit beast. Call upon the soul of a mouse to increase the character's ability to inspect nooks and crannies for traps and treasure!

• Like 1
Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

I would love for once to have a game blessedly free of those transmutated humans that Victorian writers have cursed literature with.

I'd be fine with that.

When someone kills a particularly evil animal who has a particularly strong soul, the animal soul has a chance to possess the person as a sort of revenge which results in lycanthropy, but it would be extremely rare of course.

Why would the animal be "evil," though? Obsidian is moving PE away from the "good/evil" bit for their sentient races, so it makes less sense for an animal, reacting instinctively, to be "evil".... Just sayin'. ;)

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I'd be fine with that.

Heh, that probably came across as more negative than intended. It's just that there are so many options and possibilities in a new setting, that adding such traditional archetypes seems like... waste of opportunity? :)

But then, the addition of rather typical classes and races already has me worried.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I am pretty sure were-sharks will be an Easter egg. Other than that I'm not so sure, I can imagine a vampiric creature as a result of necromancy but as an actual race or some mystical sexually transmitted infection chances are slim.

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

Why would the animal be "evil," though? Obsidian is moving PE away from the "good/evil" bit for their sentient races, so it makes less sense for an animal, reacting instinctively, to be "evil".... Just sayin'. ;)

IMO, a werewolf would be more reclusive and stealthy than VILENT BLOOD_THIRSTY KILLING MACHINE nonsense. I could see a wolfwere (wolf turning into a humanoid form) taking on humanity's blood-thirsty ruthlessness.

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

I actually like vampires, just not the twilight types. Damn twilight to a thousand torturous deaths for what they have done to vampires. Vampires were cool dangerous badasses, I want vampires to go back to that. I also want a whole bunch of different types of vampiric like creatures. Here is what I wrote on the vampire thread about it.

I actually like vampires, I just hate what twilight has done to them. Remember when vampires were cool scary monsters, now they are immortal emo kids who cry about their existence. Bah.

I actually do not think vampires should have a fixed type. Instead there are many different beings that would fall under the name vampire(or whatever name they want to call it). The only general requirement is that mortals get turned into another creature that must live by stealing the life/substance of others and most either live really long or is immortal. Since all vampiric beings must feed on the living, I will say that they should be rare because they are universally hunted down. Part of the fun could be reading the lore about the different types of vampire beings. I think this would allow a lot more flexibility in creating vampires and not sticking with the sterotype vampire.

Examples of different vampiric beings types:

Vampires created through magic

vampires created through disease

vampirism created through dark science

vamipires created through curse

vampiric entity created by symbiotic relationship with another being (like the body is infested with insects that feed on blood, the insects secrete a substance that keeps the body alive/reanimated)

Spirit vampires

A natural race of vampires that feed on the blood of other races

etc...

One of the most interesting and horrifying vampire types I ran across was the whamphir in the necroscope series, with their monsterous urges, powers, and fleshcrafting (shudder), white wolf created a version called the tzimisce. They were truly alien like monsters in the truest sense. I would like to see something unique like them.

Werewolves and vampires are not a product of Victoria era. Stoker did not come up with his Dracula out of thin air. Vampires are ancient mythological beings. In slavic mythilogy, for instance, a vampire is a revenant, a corrupt soul which returned to the body to prey on the living. This is only one of many myths about blood drinking or flesh eating spirits and demons. Werewolves also come in many flavors: from cursed men to warlocks (much like native american skin-walkers) to huge wolf-like man-eating beasts.

So "vampire" or "werewolf" does not mean it must be a wimpy representation of such beings for teenagers.

• Like 2

Werewolves and vampires are not a product of Victoria era. Stoker did not come up with his Dracula out of thin air. Vampires are ancient mythological beings. In slavic mythilogy, for instance, a vampire is a revenant, a corrupt soul which returned to the body to prey on the living. This is only one of many myths about blood drinking or flesh eating spirits and demons. Werewolves also come in many flavors: from cursed men to warlocks (much like native american skin-walkers) to huge wolf-like man-eating beasts.

So "vampire" or "werewolf" does not mean it must be a wimpy representation of such beings for teenagers.

Yea, vampire mythology date back a long time and cultures all across the world have their own vampire type myths/legends. Here is wiki on it.

I'm all in favor of were-type character developments, so long as said characters are forced to urinate around the boundaries of their house and/or keep once per day. It should be a real time, skill based activity.

werewolves and vampires is not our favorite monsters... even before anne rice ruined vampires. god or God curses some schmuck by turning him into a monster that then runs amok midst said god's faithful? wth?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'd prefer Crusniks myself, but to each his own I suppose.

One recent survey by a Washington-based researcher concluded that Americans were far more willing to participate in cannibalism then they have in the past hundred years. America is a nation that will not suffer abominations lightly.

They should only be in the game if they mesh well with the setting. Saying that medieval times were where these myths originated from, so I suppose they are quite apt. If they were in the setting inspiration should be taken from original medieval sources as opposed to the modern slant on things.