Unofficial P.E. Relationship/Romance Thread pt. 3

In my conclusion I made a side-point though. Not to you, but just to the people who outright rejected the premise of a romance all together. I think THEY have a problem if they can't ignore the fact that some people like 'romances'.

Care to elaborate? Because I view my 'problem' (not needing bogus emotional and / or sexual validation and / or gratification via a virtual digital relationship) as being a pretty healthy one TBH.

What? Do you mean that sexual arousal from talking to pixels is not normal?

Congrats, you also just insulted Obsidian/Bioware writers who enjoy writing these things for a living for hundreds of thousands of people. :/ All because you couldn't just be quiet and ignore something that's clearly not for you. I mean, if you can't deal with people being different from you, then.. yeah, that's a problem. Especially considering who's forum we're currently in.

That's about all the elaboration I'm willing to do with someone who doesn't even want to like this 'bogus' stuff.

MCA doesn't like writing them and I sure as **** don't care about Hepler. There is a general rule of thumb, if a writer likes to write romances in games, he most likely sucks.

I think I've figured something out. If you like romances in games, perhaps you liked playing with Barbie and Ken and pretending they were getting married and pooping out lots of babies? If you don't like romances, chances are, you preferred GI Joe action figures and you liked imagining Cobra getting his ass kicked. (God help those of you whose parents forced you to merge your play time with your baby sister and combine GI Joe action time with Ken and Barbie country club time).

The thing with RPGs is once upon a time they were mostly about GI Joe kicking Cobra's ass, and then at some point -- hard to pinpoint when exactly -- Barbie started showing an interest in GI Joe and all of sudden poor Joe had to start having feelings and being all sensitive and crap. Before you know it, Barbie moved in and started decorating Joe's house with frilly curtains and making him watch Bridges of Madison County and Twilight on the weekends. Now (thanks to Bioware) GI Joe has hung up his rocket launcher, quit the army and become a mopey, emo, D-bag -- an emotional cripple, cut adrift in a world where he's ill-equipped to keep that dirty Ken from stealing Barbie.

I know the days of role-playing games being tied to tabletop war games is over, but I'm so damn tired of RPGs being turned into melodramatic, interactive soap operas. I just want my barbarian, Tahvo Ukonnen, of the Northern Steppe to be able to cleave that goblin in twain without having to ego stroke a bunch of navel gazing, water drinkers that choose to tag along after him.

• Like 5

I have two questions for those who don't like romances in games.

1. If you believe that romances between the PC and NPCs are simply fanservice, do you consider friendships between the PC and NPCs fanservice as well?

2. If the answer to the above is no, then why is a friendship not fanservice, but a romance is?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

There's plent of fanservice for everyone. Hardcore mode is a fanservice. Dwarves and elves being end are a fanservice. Soul fueling magic is fanservice. Two 'health abrs' is a fan service'. Multuiple ways to complete quests are a fan service. Everything in the game is fan servuice. Why should romances and relationships be any different.

I just want things that fanservice ME (romanceable dwarves and elves completely wiped out). I don't care if you other customers are fanserviced. Justa dmit that that's what these type of arguments come down to - selfish needy arrogant me first attitudes that everyone on both sides share. *shrug*

Fun.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Now this is why romance threads always get locked.

I wish Obsidian just told everyone if romances are in or not so the topic could either end or change into a more peaceful one.

I think the bolded would occur if people would try to understand why people like or dislike a certain feature instead of lobbing attacks at each other.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Now this is why romance threads always get locked.

I wish Obsidian just told everyone if romances are in or not so the topic could either end or change into a more peaceful one.

That's... not what would in all probability happen. Think more meltdown.

Say no to popamole!

Mmm... weird idea: psion stalker.

Say you have your romance, wed the gal (or guy), settle down at your house (or stronghold), then begin having strange, tormented dreams in which you are cuckolded by your spouse. It begins to pay havoc with your mind, causing you to see problems where there are none and to fear the worst. Your spouse begins to suspect you demented; your interrogation of the staff means they avoid you and generally don't speak in your presence. A few even leave outright.

The source of this problem is a psion who secretly holds a burning desire for your spouse and is using his (or her) skills to drive you apart. He (or she) has infiltrated your household and is wrecking havoc on the place. Each time you leave, you return to find the place in an even worse state. What will you do? :blink:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Mmm... weird idea: psion stalker.

Say you have your romance, wed the gal (or guy), settle down at your house (or stronghold), then begin having strange, tormented dreams in which you are cuckolded by your spouse. It begins to pay havoc with your mind, causing you to see problems where there are none and to fear the worst. Your spouse begins to suspect you demented; your interrogation of the staff means they avoid you and generally don't speak in your presence. A few even leave outright.

The source of this problem is a psion who secretly holds a burning desire for your spouse and is using his (or her) skills to drive you apart. He (or she) has infiltrated your household and is wrecking havoc on the place. Each time you leave, you return to find the place in an even worse state. What will you do? :blink:

I think that would be an interesting experience(although I could see it working for all kinds of relationships, not just a marriage/romantic relationship). If possible I would like to see this done.

I think I've figured something out. If you like romances in games, perhaps you liked playing with Barbie and Ken and pretending they were getting married and pooping out lots of babies? If you don't like romances, chances are, you preferred GI Joe action figures and you liked imagining Cobra getting his ass kicked. (God help those of you whose parents forced you to merge your play time with your baby sister and combine GI Joe action time with Ken and Barbie country club time).

The thing with RPGs is once upon a time they were mostly about GI Joe kicking Cobra's ass, and then at some point -- hard to pinpoint when exactly -- Barbie started showing an interest in GI Joe and all of sudden poor Joe had to start having feelings and being all sensitive and crap. Before you know it, Barbie moved in and started decorating Joe's house with frilly curtains and making him watch Bridges of Madison County and Twilight on the weekends. Now (thanks to Bioware) GI Joe has hung up his rocket launcher, quit the army and become a mopey, emo, D-bag -- an emotional cripple, cut adrift in a world where he's ill-equipped to keep that dirty Ken from stealing Barbie.

I know the days of role-playing games being tied to tabletop war games is over, but I'm so damn tired of RPGs being turned into melodramatic, interactive soap operas. I just want my barbarian, Tahvo Ukonnen, of the Northern Steppe to be able to cleave that goblin in twain without having to ego stroke a bunch of navel gazing, water drinkers that choose to tag along after him.

Ah, Diablo 3 written in a few more words!

• Like 2

Ah, Diablo 3 written in a few more words!

Diablo 3 has more in common with Ms. Pacman than it does real table-top war gaming.

Gender identity is something you clearly don't understand. Giving children options is important, and shunning a little boy who may want to play with ponies or a barbie doll is no different from shunning some random gay guy. It's pretty clear by your, frankly, quite offensive statement regarding having to, "mix your play time", that you are a very rigid, person, unwilling to expand their view of their beliefs, let alone change them.

It's no wonder you want a shallow experience devoid of emotions which scare or bother you in some fashion. News flash, you don't have to enjoy taking it up the butt to realize that it isn't your business to go around town trying to convert any and all gay people you meet. Nor is it your, or any other persons job in here to try and tear down people because they enjoy well written romances in their games. It doesn't happen for people who look for books and novels, it doesn't happen for people who look for movies.

I'm sure this is going to get turned around as me forcing romance into this game, yet again, for the umpteenth time, but it isn't. The people who are against romance are worse than religious zealots. Try to convert someone for five minutes, if they don't completely change their world view it's time to start blowing things up. Get over it and get over yourself.

If Obsidian puts romance in the game because they deem it a good idea and it bothers you then that is your problem. It isn't Obsidians problem, it isn't my problem, it isn't other people who want romance ins problem. Also, people twist, "wanting" something in a way that is just ridiculous. I want a million dollars, I want world peace, I want a cure to deadly diseases, I want a fix to world hunger and energy cricises. That doesn't mean I demand, nor expect them.

I honestly hope you didn't mean to come off as such an intolerant person.

Also, if you want such a shallow experience of just slashing at people with an axe, then Golden Axe is probably more your speed.

Most of all this thread really needs to die. I realize I don't have to participate in it, but it still exists and some of the **** people say is just ridiculous.

Hi guys I just walked in to this thread and-

What in all of holy horse **** is this ****?

And cool kids played with Lego, anyway.

jcod0.png

I don't understand why there is a controversy with the romances ! it's just a option !

If the players don't want romancing it's not mandotory.

For me I like have the romance only if the romances are very writing and quality if it's the romance same as Skyrim for just find and amulette for the quest and after

you are married it's very ridiculous and stupid and thats I think it's just for fanbase and commercial !

I prefer romance like BDG2 (Viconia) DAO (Alistair and Morrigan) NWN2 (Gann).

If the romance will be mo realistic and with good quality I think the personne will be not

pessimistic.

Sorry for my bad english ^^

Funny you'd mention Gann. He was written by Chris Avellone. That's the guy mentioned in this quote:

MCA doesn't like writing them and I sure as **** don't care about Hepler. There is a general rule of thumb, if a writer likes to write romances in games, he most likely sucks.

He had intended to go heavier on the romance angle with Gann. Make him bisexual, even, but the publishers balked. NWN2 was actually a far more... "romance-heavy" game in intent than in actuality. Infamous time and budgeting issues got in the way.

I think it's a good deal more fair to say that MCA - and the rest of the Obsidian staff - don't like being pigeonholed. That means not being forced to hit romance checkbox A B and C and not making every meaningful bit of character interaction revolve around it. It also, I figure, means not being forced to ignore an important and basic part of human interaction because some people like GI Joes.

Why did I enter this thread?

Edited by Tamerlane
jcod0.png

Funny you'd mention Gann. He was written by Chris Avellone. That's the guy mentioned in this quote:

He had intended to go heavier on the romance angle with Gann. Make him bisexual, even, but the publishers balked. NWN2 was actually a far more... "romance-heavy" game in intent than in actuality. Infamous time and budgeting issues got in the way.

I think it's a good deal more fair to say that MCA - and the rest of the Obsidian staff - don't like being pigeonholed. That means not being forced to hit romance checkbox A B and C and not making every meaningful bit of character interaction revolve around it. It also, I figure, means not being forced to ignore an important and basic part of human interaction because some people like GI Joes.

Why did I enter this thread?

Direct quote from gamasutra interview:

Also, I'd have dropped one romance, at least. I hate them normally, and having 4 in one game, all of which I had to write, was a pain in the ass. I lobbied for killing the Scarlet romance (spoiler, though probably not a shock if you've played past the first mission) and successfully got a 5th romance kicked from the game, but the others remained like a taint

http://www.gamasutra...lep__Part_2.php

Edited by BasaltineBadger
  • Like 1

Direct quote from gamasutra interview:

Also, I'd have dropped one romance, at least. I hate them normally, and having 4 in one game, all of which I had to write, was a pain in the ass. I lobbied for killing the Scarlet romance (spoiler, though probably not a shock if you've played past the first mission) and successfully got a 5th romance kicked from the game, but the others remained like a taint

http://www.gamasutra...lep__Part_2.php

I wonder if the dropped one was Sis? Cutest girl in the game :wub:

i'm still for my idea of fullretard mode. it got things for everyone, and everyone is people who hate video games and love bestiality rape romance novels. which is a pretty big market. obsidian would be foolish not going after that.

kobold gang rape, think about it, chris! think of the possiblities!

It's no wonder you want a shallow experience devoid of emotions which scare or bother you in some fashion. News flash, you don't have to enjoy taking it up the butt to realize that it isn't your business to go around town trying to convert any and all gay people you meet.

yeah, you tell them homophobic dicksucks what is up, my reading comprehension failing friend!

• Like 1

i'm still for my idea of fullretard mode. it got things for everyone, and everyone is people who hate video games and love bestiality rape romance novels. which is a pretty big market. obsidian would be foolish not going after that.

kobold gang rape, think about it, chris! think of the possiblities!

Your lack of commas confuses us, do you mean that there should be a bestiality gang rape romance or that there should be bestiality, gang rape and romance?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Your lack of commas confuses us, do you mean that there should be a bestiality gang rape romance or that there should be bestiality, gang rape and romance?

The answer is: Yes.

• Like 3

Say no to popamole!