Unofficial P.E. Relationship/Romance Thread pt. 3

Whats the point of fade-to-black before unfading-from-black but time has passed? The player hasnt spent any more time with the games characters to gain a feeling of closeness, just artificially advanced time. Is it all a jedi mind trick to allow yourself to believe youve been with these characters for years?

Okay, here's the point:

You play some scenes from your childhood. You interact with characters in you village / neighborhood. These are representative of your youth. Either you are interacting with kids already your friends and/or siblings, but also meeting new kids and having "adventures" that display/cement relationships. No, you don't play the entirety of childhood through adulthood, but you get a taste and you make some choices and you get to experience, not just read some text backstory explaining what happened. Visceral and experiential, what we like about video games as opposed to just reading books.

After you've established who you are and who your childhood friends are, events that brought you together or tightened your bonds... the story jumps ahead to where you are now adults, so the real adventure can begin. Your experiences with the characters who you reunite with (some never having left your side, some having gone far away and lived very different lives by the time you find them again) gives you a connection to the party members and a history that you don't get from reading some backstory text.

It could have just been the characters as adults. The story could have had them just refer to events from their past, or do very brief flashbacks. But the story was much more effective because you got to see them as kids AND see them as adults. Did "skipping over the intervening years, unimportant as they were to the story" hurt things?

DA:O's origins is this on a much shorter time frame (and with characters who don't become companions but with whom you DO interact with again, and this is well done IMO.)

DA2 did this horribly poorly - and would be an example of what you are say, "artificially advanced time."

But, that said, this is a common story telling technique. You don't have readers/viewers/players engage in the monotony - you give them the interesting and the relevant. Now, clearly, the childhood events in my example would need to be relevant. Clearly. That's the point.

• Like 1

If there is romancable companion it should be race- and gendershifting creature who is sent to seduce your main character (some sort of mix of succubus and incubus maybe). And how it will appear to you should entirely depend on your answers in psychological profile questionare which you must do in character creation.

This way romanceable companions will only take one companion slot, but same time it gives player options to all character which s/he want to play. And it also opens possibilities to write not so happy ending romance as this creature's main purpose in game is to spy and maybe betray player character.

Maybe with approach like this we could get something new to typical romance stories, and this story arc can be nearly any character who wants to have more intimite relationship with his or her party member, but same time it's not too intrusive approach that eats all companion slots for romance.

This is just random idea born from this persistent depate, so don't take it too seriously :)

Whats the point of fade-to-black before unfading-from-black but time has passed? The player hasnt spent any more time with the games characters to gain a feeling of closeness, just artificially advanced time. Is it all a jedi mind trick to allow yourself to believe youve been with these characters for years?

[...]

After you've established who you are and who your childhood friends are, events that brought you together or tightened your bonds... the story jumps ahead to where you are now adults, so the real adventure can begin. Your experiences with the characters who you reunite with (some never having left your side, some having gone far away and lived very different lives by the time you find them again) gives you a connection to the party members and a history that you don't get from reading some backstory text.

The problem is, while those few moments of interaction in the past are better than nothing in order to establish some connection with the characters, for the player it's still just a few moments in the grand scheme of things.

You can't ask the player to react to the characters as strongly as if you really had known them for as long as the story says, because it just can't have the same impact as a more prolonged contact with them. In your example, even if the past events that set the main story in motion are engaging enough that the characters make an impact on you, you can't ask the player to react to them as if you had known them for years. In short, the story should ask only for the emotional investment it builds up. Anything more than that, and there's bound to be some disconnect between the player and the PC.

So, if you want to pull off long-lasting relationships with the companions that feel believable and immersive to the player, you should let them spend a more or less equivalent amount of real time with the characters as what's implied in the game. This means that you have to look for more effective ways to establish that connection than just giving you bits and pieces. And if you ask me, you can't do that in just one game. I think it's only possible to pull it off with several games with recurring characters, when the players have had time to play and replay the game several times and explore the characters in all their facets.

Since Obsidian would like to continue working in the world of PE and having recurring characters, I think it would be interesting to see that long-term approach for different relationships across different games. Bitter rivals that become friendly rivals that become brothers in arms, randomly met people that become friends that become almost inseparable (or, on the contrary, drift away with time), revenge and guilt that becomes forgiveness that becomes trust... And the reverse path should be possible too, such as with close friends that become enemies. It doesn't have to escalate to something unmanageable if you know what you're doing and plan accordingly, and you shouldn't plan it out so much that the player feels like being railroaded, but just like there is a vast array of character interactions you can explore, it grows even more if you consider all the sheer variability of possibilities one kind of relationship can evolve into.

Of course, we're still in the first game, and it hasn't even been written yet. No matter how much they could grow, relationships should feel somewhat self-contained in each game; even without the long term approach, there's still a lot to explore. But if you want to explore relationships that involve some serious player investment and sense of familiarity, I think this would be the best way to go :)

I would in fact like a timeskip (although childhood storytelling time skips are just fine for me too... they were the only part of fable 2 I liked, and it was one of my favorite scenes from fallout 3 and made my eventual return that much more awesome). However, the real timeskip I'd like is from game 1 to game 2. Besides the obvious storytelling plots they could use with that (where are they now? What has happened in the last 10 years?), there's a REAL LIFE timeskip inbetween the two games, which'd make it seem that much more real.

I would in fact like a timeskip (although childhood storytelling time skips are just fine for me too... they were the only part of fable 2 I liked, and it was one of my favorite scenes from fallout 3 and made my eventual return that much more awesome). However, the real timeskip I'd like is from game 1 to game 2. Besides the obvious storytelling plots they could use with that (where are they now? What has happened in the last 10 years?), there's a REAL LIFE timeskip inbetween the two games, which'd make it seem that much more real.

Unless you are a latecomer to the franchise and play game 2 immediately after game 1. Don't make assumptions ;)

As a non-romance relationship, how about an oath of brotherhood?

no problem with it so long as it fits game, character, etc.

Another example - Stephen King's It. The connection the group of main characters in that story have... I'd love a party to grow that way.

Which leads to a very interesting concept - how about a cRPG where you first play children, and you pick up your "companions" as your friends, have some adventures.... and then the game story jumps a decade or two in the future, and you need help and track down your childhood friends? THAT would be better than romance, IMO.

Some of the jRPGs have dealt with this idea - Namco's TALES OF GRACES f for example; more or less with 4 main characters Asbel, Sophie, Cheria and Hubert all as kids where they have an adventure (that goes wrong) and then later as adults who end up coming together to deal with some further issues that tie into that original ill-fated adventure.

Great...jRPGs... next thing you know folks will demanding that we be able to make heros that look like effiminant teenage girlish boys (with bare midriffs and low cut pants) with blue/pink/yellow spikey hair and carry swordguns. They can have a romance in game with their childhood friend. You will have to deal with an evil imperialistic power. In the end, the government of said power will be ruled by an evil church or a cabal of rich jerks or both. You will travel about till you get a boat and finally an AIRSHIP! You will use the airship to go to a large flyng castle where you will rescue your childhood friend/hopefully future wife from the big bad evil guy with long hair. He will kill her but your righteous rage will fuel our powerful revenge in righting all wrongs before you awake and realize it was all a dream... or was it?

Ya... I love where this thread is going....

Obsidian... ignore these people. Romances are a very bad idea. Most of the relationship ideas have been abyssmal.

Edited by Shevek
  • Like 1

Another example - Stephen King's It. The connection the group of main characters in that story have... I'd love a party to grow that way.

Which leads to a very interesting concept - how about a cRPG where you first play children, and you pick up your "companions" as your friends, have some adventures.... and then the game story jumps a decade or two in the future, and you need help and track down your childhood friends? THAT would be better than romance, IMO.

Some of the jRPGs have dealt with this idea - Namco's TALES OF GRACES f for example; more or less with 4 main characters Asbel, Sophie, Cheria and Hubert all as kids where they have an adventure (that goes wrong) and then later as adults who end up coming together to deal with some further issues that tie into that original ill-fated adventure.

Great...jRPGs... next thing you know folks will demanding that we be able to make heros that look like effiminant teenage girlish boys (with bare midriffs and low cut pants) with blue/pink/yellow spikey hair and carry swordguns. They can have a romance in game with their childhood friend. You will have to deal with an evil imperialistic power. In the end, the government of said power will be ruled by an evil church or a cabal of rich jerks or both. You will travel about till you get a boat and finally an AIRSHIP! You will use the airship to go to a large flyng castle where you will rescue your childhood friend/hopefully future wife from the big bad evil guy with long hair. He will kill her but your righteous rage will fuel our powerful revenge in righting all wrongs before you awake and realize it was all a dream... or was it?

Obsidian... ignore these people. Romances are a very bad idea. Most of the relationship ideas have been abyssmal.

I love how you read the words jRPG and freaked out without reading anything else. Here i'll highlight the important parts to make it easier for you. So... you quoted people talking about non-romance situations being better than having romance in the game... then went on to complain to obsidian to ignore these romance and relationship ideas... when the ideas had nothing to do with romance or relationships in the first place. They were alternatives to relationships and romance, known as brother in arms, or friendship, etc etc.

Not to mention your lack of jRPG knowledge is abysmal in of itself. That's like saying all crpgs are based on bio ware games. Which some people probably actually believe that, but most of us who actually enjoy crpgs knows that there's a lot more producers of said rpgs than just bio ware.

All of your complaints about what you would call a typical jRPG are a common theme in typical crpgs as well. Though at least with jRPGS you don't have to worry about some perv creating a nudity mod that thousands of people download. But that being beside the point NOBODY was even stating anything about wanting PE to be like a jRPG they were only mentioning a brother in arms theme that a game had, and how it could work well in PE.

• Like 1

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

So much angst in these threads. It's like watching a companion romance gone wrong.

In all seriousness, though futile an argument to make...

Romance is a viable thought option for comrades who go through life changing, and world shattering events. If you have a super close friend, male or female of the opposite sex, or not depending on orientation, sexual tension is OFTEN a factor in the relationship. Whether acted on or not. To ignore something so very real is pretty silly and unrealistic. I always found that the most jarring of 'companion' characters in a lot of older cRPGs, the lack of dimension when considering relationships. Not that I wanted to 'get married for the sex lulz' because thats ridiculous. Just not having this option, or it fleshed out, or even really considered was always questionable to me.

'Hey you rescued me and my entire race/village/family/guild/kids/ponies/farm/hay stacks, let me follow you literally into the jaws of hell.'

'Sure sounds good!'

Days/Weeks/Months/Years Later

'Well that was fun, i'm going home with my family now.'

'Uh, ok?'

-Clearly some games had more 'interactivity' with companions, but in general this was still a very light dimension of the game, and at most a very linear path only giving extra depth to the companion and not necesarrily the both of you.

Beyond that, they have stated they are having companion relationships of some sort, romances, rivalries, friendships are all logical extensions of a 'relationship'. It's clear that resources will be used for these themes and writing. At that point it really goes down to, dont like it, dont do it. It's pretty simple.

• Like 1

I don't have anything against romance, angst, strife, or whatever, but I want to emphasize that the written part of NPC characterizations should be better integrated with the rest of the game (interconnected things are more meaningful, naturally). Lets look at 2 things that Planescape Torment had going for it compared to say BG2.

1)Unique visual design and animations for all party NPCs (and many other NPCs as well, not to mention overall greater detail and higher quality animation). Well designed visuals (with good style) have a lot more to do with these characterizations than some writerly types maybe think. Remember, Torment had a floating skull, a chick with a tail, and a chick with wings, and these visual characteristics figured into their background stories and were a major part of their "personality" and charm. Not to mention more unique (and attractive) designs for NPCs can improve the quality of the overall setting by leaps and bounds.

2)NPCs had a bit more to say and do in the context of the adventure. NPC dialogue/banter and stuff like that should more often than not take into account and/or be triggered by what is happening in quests, and their contents should more often than not BE about the quests and what the party is doing, not about personal **** (unless you want to write a party NPC that is worthless and comically self absorbed). It doesn't matter as much that the writing is "emotional" or "deep" or whatever, as it matters that things like NPC characterizations are appropriate to the story in contents, timing, etc.

So there's lots of stuff to consider with NPCs: stuff like special music, unique models, unique animations, special abilities (with unique animations and effects), which are integrated with stuff like scripted events that intertwine with main story events quests (and the majority of what you are doing in the game should by connected to, i.e. part of, the main storyline/quest).

And finally, a rant: the party NPC concept art that has been released is really bad (nothing against the drawing skills of the artist). I'd read some posts in the forum saying that they were good, but I've seen pretty everything that has been revealed so far and it is all looks bland and unimaginative. If the Obsidian artists can't create interesting looking central characters, what are the chances that the entire settings won't be dull and uninspired. Why isn't this an issue with more people? I even read a ****ing post on this forum (or Kickstarter) complementing the visual design of the Edair character for including "sensible" gear with an eye toward "utility" (or some ****, don't remember the exact quote). I mean, you want character concepts with an eye toward "UTILITY", are you ****ting me? This game is going to have magic, a lottery of souls, monks with diamond hard skin, etc., etc. **** your "utility" style. Make the NPCs look interesting and reflect interesting (fictional) cultures that came from somewhere, made it somewhere, and have lots to show off for it. FFS, any of the mainstream fantasy JRPGs, pick one, has better style than what's been shown with Project Eternity.

Romance is a viable thought option for comrades who go through life changing, and world shattering events. If you have a super close friend, male or female of the opposite sex, or not depending on orientation, sexual tension is OFTEN a factor in the relationship. Whether acted on or not. To ignore something so very real is pretty silly and unrealistic. I always found that the most jarring of 'companion' characters in a lot of older cRPGs, the lack of dimension when considering relationships. Not that I wanted to 'get married for the sex lulz' because thats ridiculous. Just not having this option, or it fleshed out, or even really considered was always questionable to me.

I completely support this statement. From a roleplaying perspective companion romances have always seemed perfectly logical to me (which is not to say that they have always been implemented perfectly) without spending any time on it I can think of a couple of reasons why someone facing death on a daily basis would be pretty darn keen on establishing some kind of intimacy with another person. Just for example I could choose to be someone who is completely overlooking an NPC's woeful character in order to shore up a ready supply of sex before I meet my demise or I could play as someone who's found love in a state of crisis.

I don't think romances should be necessary for the game to be played or enjoyed by consumers but it adds another dimension for your character if you are keen on that sort of thing, so I see no reason not to include them in some form. :yes:

Edited by Sistergoldring
  • Like 2

priestess2.jpg

The Divine Marshmallow shall succour the souls of the Righteous with his sweetness while the Faithless writhe in the molten syrup of his wrath.

I completely support this statement. From a roleplaying perspective companion romances have always seemed perfectly logical to me (which is not to say that they have always been implemented perfectly) without spending any time on it I can think of a couple of reasons why someone facing death on a daily basis would be pretty darn keen on establishing some kind of intimacy with another person. Just for example I could choose to be someone who is completely overlooking an NPC's woeful character in order to shore up a ready supply of sex before I meet my demise or I could play as someone who's found love in a state of crisis.

I don't think romances should be necessary for the game to be played or enjoyed by consumers but it adds another dimension for your character if you are keen on that sort of thing, so I see no reason not to include them in some form. :yes:

Go ask from any soldiers if they are looking for love from their comrades when they are in the frontlines, from any veteran or current soldier - especially if they are with gender-mixed units. I very much doubt that romantic relationships or sex with your comrades is one of the things in their minds.

And anyone who brings up "roleplaying" when talking about single-player RPG, you are playing a character and its aspects/varitations what writer has written for you to choose from, you are not playing character you can delve into and roleplay role you want. Where single-player computer RPG excels are the alternate paths or options you can take in either the story/sub-stories or quests; Do you take Option A and take the stolen item you've found to the authorities and gain their favour, or Option B and take it to the underworld fence and gain their favour or Option C and keep it to yourself and gain neither of their favours, and possibly wont get their help in the future but this is just one example.

That brings me to the Choices & Consequences which is very much tied to the before-mentioned alternate paths or options - Alpha Protocol was actually pretty good in this; different things happened depending on what you chose to do and weren't just replaced with some flavour text like in many of the other rpgs or characters replaced with another character who then did the same thing.

In the timeframe and the usual amount of the dialogue between you and the companions, it's pretty damn hard to establish anykind of relationships with your companions - especially multiple branches and make them all believable; why do you think it's been done so rarely where you can take different routes with the companions?

If you really want to play a role you should look into RP servers in MMOs, or even better RP Persistant Worlds in Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, I played in RP-server in NWN 1 for 3-4 years and I played probably dozen completely different kind of characters with their own personalities what I myself created with their backgrounds, behaviour, strengths and flaws and interacted with the characters of other players - single player game gets -nowhere- near of that experience.

• Like 2

a bunch of unintelligible ranting having no real connection to what was being quoted

in short, a non-sequitor

How is anyone even supposed to respond to this kind of nonsense? :getlost:

Go ask from any soldiers if they are looking for love from their comrades when they are in the frontlines, from any veteran or current soldier - especially if they are with gender-mixed units. I very much doubt that romantic relationships or sex with your comrades is one of the things in their minds.

Do you have military experience?

I was in the service for 6 years. I never deployed (my time was before the "global war on terror") but there was PLENTY of romance between soldiers. Between MARRIED soliders, usually not with their spouses. My unit had two married couples serving together, one of which started dating and got married while in the same unit.

Attraction, flirtation, love and sex is everywhere. You are kidding yourself if you think that, when your life is on the line, you don't start thinking of what's important to you... something worth living for.... an escape from the danger and horrors around you.

If personal anecdotes and logic don't work on you, it took me thirty seconds to find this story - http://www.news9.com...ve-while-at-war

Edited by Merin
  • Like 3

And anyone who brings up "roleplaying" when talking about single-player RPG, you are playing a character and its aspects/varitations what writer has written for you to choose from, you are not playing character you can delve into and roleplay role you want. Where single-player computer RPG excels are the alternate paths or options you can take in either the story/sub-stories or quests; Do you take Option A and take the stolen item you've found to the authorities and gain their favour, or Option B and take it to the underworld fence and gain their favour or Option C and keep it to yourself and gain neither of their favours, and possibly wont get their help in the future but this is just one example.

That brings me to the Choices & Consequences which is very much tied to the before-mentioned alternate paths or options - Alpha Protocol was actually pretty good in this; different things happened depending on what you chose to do and weren't just replaced with some flavour text like in many of the other rpgs or characters replaced with another character who then did the same thing.

In the timeframe and the usual amount of the dialogue between you and the companions, it's pretty damn hard to establish anykind of relationships with your companions - especially multiple branches and make them all believable; why do you think it's been done so rarely where you can take different routes with the companions?

If you really want to play a role you should look into RP servers in MMOs, or even better RP Persistant Worlds in Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, I played in RP-server in NWN 1 for 3-4 years and I played probably dozen completely different kind of characters with their own personalities what I myself created with their backgrounds, behaviour, strengths and flaws and interacted with the characters of other players - single player game gets -nowhere- near of that experience.

In the real world people are complex and I don't see how your comment relates to my ability to create a character whose motivations differ from your description of a frontline soldier just as I imagine there probably are in fact people who serve in the armed forces and maintain an interest in sex and/or relationships. This commentary however is a totally irrelevent to the discussion.

Actually I can roleplay a variety of different characters and their relationships with NPCs in totally distinct ways within the limitation of a single player experience and have done so many times before to my satisfaction. I don't ask that every internal motivation of my character is reflected in -game but I know the why and wherefore of my actions and it's enough for me to enjoy the process. The fact that you declare this to be impossible doesn't impact on my enjoyment in doing it one bit! A voiced PC makes things much more problematic but this will not be the case in PE.

I'm glad that you enjoy NWN and MMOs, it's nice to find something you like doing. Personally, I enjoy single player PC RPGs and intend to go on playing them as I have been doing ever since I gave up playing PNP RPGs well over a decade ago :yes:

• Like 2

priestess2.jpg

The Divine Marshmallow shall succour the souls of the Righteous with his sweetness while the Faithless writhe in the molten syrup of his wrath.

Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger are great role-playing games. I know from personal experience that the Persona and Tales series are of quality. Fire Emblem also has elements role-playing and is great ... less so during its GameCube and Wii run, but Awakening looks promising.

I understand that Dragon Quest is on the same caliber.

Even Feargus Urquhart (Obsidian CEO) spoke favorably of developing a sequel to Chrono Trigger, and was in talks with Square to make it happen.

Edited by Morality Games

May Kickstarter be with you and all your stretch goals achieved. 

Great...jRPGs...

Obsidian... ignore these people.

Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger are great role-playing games. I know from personal experience that the Persona and Tales series are of quality. Fire Emblem also has elements role-playing and is great ... less so during its GameCube and Wii run, but Awakening looks promising.

Even Feargus Urquhart (Obsidian CEO) spoke favorably of developing a sequel to Chrono Trigger, and was in talks with Square to make it happen.

or Chris Avellone, for that matter -

]IG[/b] – What are some of your favorite games that helped influence your style?

CAChronotrigger, Wasteland 1 (and technically, Wasteland 2), Fallout, System Shock 2, Dead Space, to name a few. Ultima Underworld 1 did things that I feel RPGs to this day have never recreated. Bastion’sapproach to narration was fantastic. I loved Dear Esther for showing what interactive narratives could be, and Amnesia: The Dark Descent for showing me how scared a game could make me. I felt the dialogue and interactions in Telltale’s Walking Dead game were excellent, and the strongest emotional moments I felt in that game showed a great narrative hand at work. There’s a ton more that elude me at the moment, I’m sure.

He mentioned it a few times in the countdown party, too. Chronotrigger got a lot of love from Obsidian that day!

for the record, I've never player Chronotrigger - number of JRPG's I've even started you can count on one hand

Edited by Merin

Great...jRPGs...

Obsidian... ignore these people.

or Chris Avellone, for that matter -

]IG[/b] – What are some of your favorite games that helped influence your style?

CAChronotrigger, Wasteland 1 (and technically, Wasteland 2), Fallout, System Shock 2, Dead Space, to name a few. Ultima Underworld 1 did things that I feel RPGs to this day have never recreated. Bastion’sapproach to narration was fantastic. I loved Dear Esther for showing what interactive narratives could be, and Amnesia: The Dark Descent for showing me how scared a game could make me. I felt the dialogue and interactions in Telltale’s Walking Dead game were excellent, and the strongest emotional moments I felt in that game showed a great narrative hand at work. There’s a ton more that elude me at the moment, I’m sure.

He mentioned it a few times in the countdown party, too. Chronotrigger got a lot of love from Obsidian that day!

for the record, I've never player Chronotrigger - number of JRPG's I've even started you can count on one hand

Generally the argument is whether Final Fantasy 6 is the best or Chrono Trigger is the best.

The best character-driven interparty jRPG versus the best choice-driven interparty jRPG (but also great characters). Both of which have great -- I mean, great -- exploration.

Both anticipated the best of what would later be achieved by Western developers with narrative, character, and choice, so its little wonder why they receive so much respect.

Edited by Morality Games

May Kickstarter be with you and all your stretch goals achieved. 

I intended on clicking here to see what's new, I must've misclicked or my mouse slipped, because I was redirected to the D&D Beastiary thread.

Or maybe God was telling me to stay away from this thread. Who knows.

Anyways, enjoy your tennis ball on brick wall action, everyone.

• Like 4

rpg means exploring world / emotions/ activities and toying with characters that you are not in real life !!!

therefore we need to have a lot of npc's you can explore with -- yes you're party should be fully romanceable, and they should be more than 7-8 promised - more like 15 , why because you would have 3 full parties

also you should be allowed to toy with 2 dalliances at a time - maybe in adifferent city and/or party, though it shouldn't end should you switch party members

i may be greedy but i had a tone of laughs trying to play bg2 with jazheera, aeeria , viconia , imoen and a nother - can't remember

sadly it was imposible to dismiss/ exchange mpc and keep going / also at a certain point they made choose or got angry - i used to spilt the party on the map when a got a dialogue :) :) :)