So i was interested in the pet that OE is making for the $50 tier and above. I know it isnt anything that will have an influence on the game, but what would everyone like to see. Should you be able to choose between maybe 3 different type of pets? Should NPC's comment on the pet, so it isnt ignored completely in the game? Something scary vs something cute and cuddly? Your guys' thoughts

Personally i think if it wouldnt be too much time spent on it or too much resources to make it happen a choice of a pet in the beginning would be nice, even if it is between 2 different ones. What about color customization? That is something that should be easy enough to implement. I think something like a real creature like a wolf would be neat, a loyal companion to follow you around. It would make me feel like a Stark with my dire wolf lol

yea, if most people cannot enjoy it, then there shouldn't be a lot of time spent on it. So I myself would just take already animated animals (that are needed in other contexts), give it different color than in the game and make it walk behind you.

I think they said, that there will be just the pet and no comments in game or gameplay elements whatsoever with it (What I guess makes it quite worthless, unless you like to talk to yourself about Kassiopeia the mute turtle that is crawling behind you the whole game long) and nobody seems to notice. I would rather see having a bit more reactivity to it and including it for all people though.

I personally just want a way to put the thing somewhere when it is going on my nerves because it always steps on my death body with one foot and grins in triumph after I was killed by a fireball and it was not.

yea thats why i think re-activity to it would be nice. Even if it is just a simple comment, nothing game changing just that they notice you have a ______ following you around. I understand adding re-activity means writing in dialogue and that takes time and therefore resources but it would make the playing experience more enjoyable. I also realize that not many people are going to get to experience this if it is only for the kickstarter people who pledged enough and therefore might not be worth the invested time, so what could be done to make it available to everyone else... OE has already stated they dont like DLC and therefore that probably isnt an option

I'd like to see it as an additional companion ala Dogmeat. Or, if it should not have any impact on the gameplay, it should be a nice joke like Boo, the Space Hamster.

Maybe even have a miniquest :)

Most importantly, it should be logical to have it - dwarfs might have an underground creature, elves a forest sprite, humans a dog and so on.

Edited by Chabneruk
  • Like 1

"Was du nicht kennst, das, meinst du, soll nicht gelten? Du meinst, daß Phantasie nicht wirklich sei?

Aus ihr allein erwachsen künft'ge Welten: In dem, was wir erschaffen, sind wir frei."

- Michael Ende, Das Gauklermärchen

I wasn't aware of the inclusion of a pet of some sort for the $50-and-up tiers. This is good news as that means I'm in for a bonus. As this is a cRPG, the species of the critter isn't as important as the relative level of interactivity and usefulness of the pet in question. Why is it following you around? What does it expect of you? Does it's dialogue/interactions with you grow as the game goes along? Can we teach it a number of tricks/behaviors?

Also, will the presence of the "pet" preclude the use of a familiar or animal companion (F/AC)? I always used F/ACs when playing a class that had them as an available feature and as a DM I encouraged players to use them as it gave me a way to convey information or give the party a nudge in the right direction without breaking the 4th wall by having to speak as myself. F/ACs having superior senses to those of mortal adventurers (particularly scent) was often useful in steering the party in the right direction instead of letting them stumble around for an hour of game time trying to find the [ ______ ], clues about which they'd blown past in a rush earlier in the gaming session. Silly players... :p

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

The easiest thing I can imagine is a bird of some sort: falcon, parrot (yarr matey!), etc. Something that can fly away at the first hint of danger, so you can come up with a plausible reason for it surviving huge (sometimes magical) battles as a non-combatant.

As per previous games, it can always be thought of as hiding away in your backpack when the fur starts to fly.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

A baby Pegasus. Or a dwarf. I've always thought it would be amusing to have a pet dwarf. Who has a pet rock.

Another idea is a pet undead creature. Probably a zombie. One problem is it would be very bad if it bites the neighbor. Although, depending on the neighbor's personality, it might make them more pleasant to live next to.

Edited by HeedlessHorseman

Cat. Cat. Cat. Cat. Cat. Cat. Cat. And Cat.

Oh yes please. X a million :D

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

I just want a baby Kerffleopogus to call my very own. :w00t:

Not unless it's a new species of cat, then no.

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

A baby Pegasus. Or a dwarf. I've always thought it would be amusing to have a pet dwarf. Who has a pet rock.

Another idea is a pet undead creature. Probably a zombie. One problem is it would be very bad if it bites the neighbor. Although, depending on the neighbor's personality, it might make them more pleasant to live next to.

Pet dwarf? wouldnt that just be slavery...