Nihilism and Atheism

I'll say this, I have strong feelings on this subject in "Real life" but in the game I do enjoy a little escapism and unless these questions can be presented in an engaging way without detracting from the normal RPG experience I don't need to have them in there.

So I guess I'm saying this is where I draw the line between how realistic I care the game to be.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I don't exactly see a problem with lack of atheism, I mean if the gods I real and you know that they are real why would you not belive in them ? You as a character do not need to pray to them but should acnowlegde their existence, but this is not technicaly atheism,

To make it short being atheist in world where gods are real and you know that they are real is kind like beliving in creationsim, it dousn't makes sense and only show that someone is stuborn ,and if it just about your own belife to be represented in game rather than belife of someone else them ,hey it is just a game I am catholic and yet I dont have any problem with lack of Jesus in P:E

Just mine opinion, I could interpret what you mean in a wrong way, if so than I am sorry

Edited by Cryticus

Meh. The people I see don't seem to want that.

I've seen a rising trend of atheist and religion-haters to demand that fantasy games give them option to kill gods, burn down churches/temples and basicly tell religious folk how they suck.

I could argue that religion "haters" might have some ground to stand on, but really I'll side with saying tolerance (to all beliefs) should be the watchword.

Don't start this bro.

Just...don't.

Next thing we'll have a game where you have to kill everything in sight while being lectured on how horrible taking a single life is at every moment. :no:

Spec Ops: The Line

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I've seen a rising trend of atheist and religion-haters to demand that fantasy games give them option to kill gods, burn down churches/temples and basicly tell religious folk how they suck.

*gasp*

Oh no! Atheists?!

...I personally find it more offensive that you consider the existence of atheists, even in a fictional fantasy setting, to be offensive on its own. Generally speaking it has been widely agreed upon that other philosophies existing alongside yours is a good thing, and that at best treating them as though they don't exist is kind of mean.

Ofensive? No.

Silly in the setting/context? Sometimes.

After all if I said I liked Optimus Prime in PE, would you be agaisnt that?

If so, do you find the existence of robots offensive?

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I really don't care if there's atheism in the game, because I'm sure Obsidian will manage to merge all kinds of interesting philosophies together, as in PS:T. Additionaly, I'm an atheist myself, but I never play atheistic characters. Why should I? I'm not playing my self, am I? I mostly play vastly different characters than myself. It's a lot more challenging and a lot more rewarding in my opinion.

• Like 1

Elan_song.gif

I think atheism in fantasy worlds just has a different definition than in the real world. It's not really a matter of them not believing in gods, it's more of a matter of them not believing that the gods are all powerful.

To me it's more a matter of people actively dismissing/refusing to submit themselves to a deity (doesn't matter if they consider said deity to be all-powerful or not. Truth be told they'll most probably be virtually all-powerful, so it doesn't matter!). Though I wouldn't call it "nihilism" like the OP, that's far too general. It's something like "anti-deism": OK, I acknowledge your existence, but I don't consider you worthy of my worship, you can do your thing, but don't expect me to love/bow to/obey/woeship you. Or if I'm feeling a little more militant, not only do I not consider you worthy of my worship, I don't like the idea of anyone worshipping/following you at all, and I'll actively work against that (note this is not a believer in God A angsting against believers in God B, he would be against any believers of any deity).

And this is what I always choose when RPGs let me, I always say "I don't follow any religion/care for the gods" when the dialog option comes up... so I like this. I also think it could be cool to have major players following this line of thought in the game.

EDIT: also if I recall correctly, in PE Gods don't take much of an active role with humans, so - in general - they would just watch these anti-gods people do their thing undisturbed.

Edited by Tychoxi
  • Like 1

I really don't care if there's atheism in the game, because I'm sure Obsidian will manage to merge all kinds of interesting philosophies together, as in PS:T. Additionaly, I'm an atheist myself, but I never play atheistic characters. Why should I? I'm not playing my self, am I? I mostly play vastly different characters than myself. It's a lot more challenging and a lot more rewarding in my opinion.

This, really.

Some of my favorite characters held radically different beliefs than myself – I’ve never understood why a small, sometimes vocal majority of people were upset that they’ve had to play someone different than themselves. I’m a believer myself, but some of my favorite characters were atheist or otherwise believed that gods were beneath them – just a I’ve played characters with radically different political beliefs, etc.

My favorite part of role-playing games is being something I'm not.

Edited by Corvus Metus
  • Like 1

I wonder why this thread is still surviving since according to what is revealed so far, characters can keep various views. So, if you want your character to be an "atheist" or one of those who don't admit a certain race/existences/entities* as the object of his/her worship, then, you can do that. Likewise, if you like your character to be a pious character who warships such existences/entities which are conventionally worshiped in the world, then, you have the option, too. So, it's a win-win scenario, at least, in imaging the stances of your characters in your way of liking.

*The description is obscure since how these "gods" are presented is not revealed yet.