Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What was your favourite quest in an RPG? Why?

types of quests quests

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11314 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't have a specific quest from a previous game in mind, but in general my favorite quests are the ones that end up revealing more information and backstory about a person, place, or thing. The kind of quest where you go into an unknown city, with almost zero prior knowledge of its inhabitants or its history, but during the quest you learn the origins of the city, and learn the dark secrets of the various factions residing there.

Similarly, I like quests where you begin with an almost one dimensional character you have to track down, but over the course of the quest you learn a lot about that character and his/her background, motivations, etc., and thus he/she is fleshed out into an interesting character compared to the one you'd first learned about.

So basically, quests that flesh out the world as a whole, whether it be more details about a city you're traveling through, or more backstory for an individual you come across.

Kilroy_Was_Here

Kilroy_Was_Here

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

My personal favorite is in Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood quest in which you're in a house with six other people trying to survive the night and you can pick them off one by one and the other people start panicking. One of the most satisfying quest in my mind.

The best part about that quest was that if the last NPC left was unfriendly they would conclude you must be the murderer and attack you. But if you made them friendly through diplomacy they ask for your protection and to help them find a way out.

My favorite quest was the one from Throne of Bhaal where you get the Bronze Pantalettes from the low-level adventurers. Not only was the NPCs' response priceless, but some of your own party members comment on how far you've come since then.

TommeH

TommeH

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
I love the quest in Fallout 2 in which you have to investigate the "ghost" farm.
The quest itself was maybe simple but it had a very tense and creepy feeling.
You walk into Modoc and you hear this absolute brilliant soundtrack.
Then you hear the stories about a farm nearby, where strange things happen.
Word is that strange lights are seen by night and people vanish.

Edited by TommeH, 22 October 2012 - 08:55 AM.

Metabot

Metabot

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I liked the skinner quest in bgii as well, but it really wasn't all that hard or involved. All of the witnesses are in one small area and its too easy.

Edited by Metabot, 22 October 2012 - 09:03 AM.

Pwillig

Pwillig

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pwilligs
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
My favorite quest would have to be from IWD where you must rebuild the broken astrolabe to restore sanity to Larrel. Everything from the story, the music, the art...ah, it was definitely one of my favorite moments in gaming.
  • Moonlight Butterfly and Sacred_Path like this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7731 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
is not a single quest in the classic sense, but fully exploring ravel puzzlewell encounters in ps:t were the bestest quest we can recall. whatever quest we might deem our second-place choice would not be meters or miles distant, but parsecs removed. yeah, meeting ravel and subsequent dialogues were a quest as you needed to get blood from her daughter and jump through various hoops to bring about encounter with ravel, but the meeting with ravel not encompass the full extent o' your discovery o' ravel. were more than a score o' seemingly unrelated events in game that built ravel direct or indirect. of particular note were the ei-vene, mebbeth and marta encounters... and meeting mebbeth for a final time following plane hoping were our single favorite crpg encounter... evar. chrisA developed ravel with care and patience, taking the entirety o' the game to fully explore. player were not forced to unravel the puzzle. player could ignore or skip npc dialogues or sensory stones and miss much of ravel. the fact that Gromnir needed to actively look for ravel material, and were never sure if we got it all, made quest that much more fulfilling. ravel were a unique crpg character. have never seen a game character developed as was ravel. attempting to fully realize were our favorite quest.

HA! Good Fun!
  • Brannart, aluminiumtrioxid, Remmirath and 2 others like this

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer
If I get a shed-load of gold and some groovy items at the end of it, any quest is good for me. It says Quest-Doer on my passport.

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
What no love for the tutorial opening sequence in NWN?

Infiltrator_SF

Infiltrator_SF

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
I fondly remember that BG2 quest where a bunch of newbie adventurers try to take you on, lose horribly, than "reload" the game ;)
  • DimuthuK likes this

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts
It's not a quest per se, but I really liked what it did with dialogue. The Viconia Romance was one of the best written and executed parts of BGII. No dialogue option was a definite "win" and there is a lot of uncertainty in whether you reach your objective because it occurs over a long period of time. Sometimes you think the "quest" is over, but then it starts up again and you think "sweet I picked the right dialogue choice!"

It was a satisfying challenge.

Dream

Dream

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 607 posts
Turning into Arthas in Icecrown.

Kai

Kai

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Dragon Age: Origins. The Fort Drakon rescue mission.
You where thrown into the gaol and two of your henchmen would have to save the day, at first without your help. It was hilarious!
And if your companion´s subterfuge skills where full of fail, they could always resort to violence.
The Fort Drakon rescue mission had tons or replay value, because every npc team would try a different ruse on the guards.

That quest is probably the only one in any game that made me reload the game 10+ times just to see the various way you could complete it. Brilliantly made.

Besides that one, I prefer quests that are well written and that gives me option on how to complete them. Not just good, evil and something in between, but also the method of solving it, like stealth, combat, talking, bribing, intimidating or something else. Been too long since I've played the old IE games to remember any specific quests that I really liked.

Freshock

Freshock

High Berserker of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 227 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
My favourite quest (so far) has to be a quest in Gothic 3 where I had to help a group of nomads invade a nearby castle. That was the first time I really felt like the NPC's were alive, and making a difference in the world, as there was around 5-7 people storming the place. I know it's not so uncommon to have this kind of interactions with NPC's nowadays but that was the first time I came across something like that and it's the most exciting quest I've done so far :yes:. I could also plunder the castle and we also captured some belly-dancers!

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7518 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
My favorite quest was "Hung Over" in The Witcher 2. It begins as you (Geralt) wake up naked by the harbor curled up in the fetal position with a tattoo on your neck. From that point on you try to recover your gear and find out just what the heck happened the night before. It's jolly good fun and somewhat different than standard RPG quests, which is what I liked about it.
  • Angrenost likes this

Arhiippa

Arhiippa

Enlightened Cynic of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
Hard for me to pick one, but I love it when there is room for the player to really consider his options instead of just following directions. Any quest that lets the player feel like his/her choices and/or skill really affected how the quest plays out will make me happy. It's good if there are different ways of solving a quest with different character builds, but for me, it's even better if I, as a player, have to use my brain. Slightly off topic, but in some ways I miss the parser from old adventure games, cause that allowed for the player to use his/her own creativity in finding the solutions to puzzles and the right questions to ask.
  • Jarmo likes this

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
pff, so many good ones! some I forgot, some in games I haven't played (maybe I should!)
I enjoyed the quest in Morrowind where you have to trail a man in Seyda Neen, to see where he kept some of his stuff. It felt real and unforced. no hand-holding either.

Tamerlane

Tamerlane

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1125 posts
For all its many faults (spoiler alert: it had a ****load of faults), Oblivion had some really cool quests.

A painter has gone missing? Dude's trapped inside his own magic painting. Get in there and start killing the monsters someone painted in there with turpentine.

A merchant hasn't returned from a visit to a nearby village? Time to investigate a crazy Shadow Over Innsmouth-type cult and rescue her under cover of darkness.

Hey man, come help me find this magic axe in these ruins! Hah, just kidding, these ruins are actually used by rich people who hunt adventurers for sport. Start running.

Of course, it also had terrible "kill ten fish and take their scales" quests and didn't handle its "spy on person" quests all that well, but****whatever.

Dragon Age: Origins. The Fort Drakon rescue mission.
You where thrown into the gaol and two of your henchmen would have to save the day, at first without your help. It was hilarious!
And if your companion´s subterfuge skills where full of fail, they could always resort to violence.
The Fort Drakon rescue mission had tons or replay value, because every npc team would try a different ruse on the guards.

Is "gaol" the standard English spelling in Germany/Europe? In North America at least, it pretty much only ever comes up in fantasy fiction.
  • aluminiumtrioxid and .Leif. like this

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1035 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
the last quest I did that really floored me was in fonv. It was the one where u was hiring prostitues for wrangler and being a very low speech and barter person, it seemed everyone I could recruit had a way besides a speech check to get them to take the job except for the ghoul. The ghoul it seemed could only be recruited if u passed a speech or a barter check so me not using magazines to "cheat", that quest got left hanging for awhile. One day after I had ransacked a bar of its finer drinks, I came across her to see if I could find another way. Surprise there was, she noticed I had a bottle of absintine and by using that I was able to recruit her. I was floored because there was no indication or outright suggestions that option was even available. I know its such a small thing, but that level of quality and detail was what made me back them for the project.
Right now im doing a fullrun thru morrowind, and is it sad that ive enjoyed and found each quest to actually fit and make sense? That even the fetch quests actually had a purpose? So far really shocked at bethesdas quality in this game, I wonder why that level of quality is disappearing rapidly from their recent games. Its almost like comparing da:o with da2 that has actual different levels instead of one huve reused one.

Jarmo

Jarmo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hard for me to pick one, but I love it when there is room for the player to really consider his options instead of just following directions.

Reminds me, there was one really neat quest in Skyrim, where if you had fallen to just follow the quest arrow syndrome,
you'd end up in a wtf I just helped to murder and eat a priest??! You could alter your quest at any point,
but there was no obvious "now choose" indication there was an option.

Dronios

Dronios

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

To get the blessing of the Supreme God in Arcanum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: types of quests, quests

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users