What was your favourite quest in an RPG? Why?

is not a single quest in the classic sense, but fully exploring ravel puzzlewell encounters in ps:t were the bestest quest we can recall. whatever quest we might deem our second-place choice would not be meters or miles distant, but parsecs removed. yeah, meeting ravel and subsequent dialogues were a quest as you needed to get blood from her daughter and jump through various hoops to bring about encounter with ravel, but the meeting with ravel not encompass the full extent o' your discovery o' ravel. were more than a score o' seemingly unrelated events in game that built ravel direct or indirect. of particular note were the ei-vene, mebbeth and marta encounters... and meeting mebbeth for a final time following plane hoping were our single favorite crpg encounter... evar. chrisA developed ravel with care and patience, taking the entirety o' the game to fully explore. player were not forced to unravel the puzzle. player could ignore or skip npc dialogues or sensory stones and miss much of ravel. the fact that Gromnir needed to actively look for ravel material, and were never sure if we got it all, made quest that much more fulfilling. ravel were a unique crpg character. have never seen a game character developed as was ravel. attempting to fully realize were our favorite quest.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's not a quest per se, but I really liked what it did with dialogue. The Viconia Romance was one of the best written and executed parts of BGII. No dialogue option was a definite "win" and there is a lot of uncertainty in whether you reach your objective because it occurs over a long period of time. Sometimes you think the "quest" is over, but then it starts up again and you think "sweet I picked the right dialogue choice!"

It was a satisfying challenge.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Dragon Age: Origins. The Fort Drakon rescue mission.

You where thrown into the gaol and two of your henchmen would have to save the day, at first without your help. It was hilarious!

And if your companion´s subterfuge skills where full of fail, they could always resort to violence.

The Fort Drakon rescue mission had tons or replay value, because every npc team would try a different ruse on the guards.

That quest is probably the only one in any game that made me reload the game 10+ times just to see the various way you could complete it. Brilliantly made.

Besides that one, I prefer quests that are well written and that gives me option on how to complete them. Not just good, evil and something in between, but also the method of solving it, like stealth, combat, talking, bribing, intimidating or something else. Been too long since I've played the old IE games to remember any specific quests that I really liked.

My favourite quest (so far) has to be a quest in Gothic 3 where I had to help a group of nomads invade a nearby castle. That was the first time I really felt like the NPC's were alive, and making a difference in the world, as there was around 5-7 people storming the place. I know it's not so uncommon to have this kind of interactions with NPC's nowadays but that was the first time I came across something like that and it's the most exciting quest I've done so far :yes:. I could also plunder the castle and we also captured some belly-dancers!

My favorite quest was "Hung Over" in The Witcher 2. It begins as you (Geralt) wake up naked by the harbor curled up in the fetal position with a tattoo on your neck. From that point on you try to recover your gear and find out just what the heck happened the night before. It's jolly good fun and somewhat different than standard RPG quests, which is what I liked about it.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hard for me to pick one, but I love it when there is room for the player to really consider his options instead of just following directions. Any quest that lets the player feel like his/her choices and/or skill really affected how the quest plays out will make me happy. It's good if there are different ways of solving a quest with different character builds, but for me, it's even better if I, as a player, have to use my brain. Slightly off topic, but in some ways I miss the parser from old adventure games, cause that allowed for the player to use his/her own creativity in finding the solutions to puzzles and the right questions to ask.

• Like 1

And yes, I know my profile picture is blasphemy on this forum, but I didn't have the audacity to use The Nameless One.

pff, so many good ones! some I forgot, some in games I haven't played (maybe I should!)

I enjoyed the quest in Morrowind where you have to trail a man in Seyda Neen, to see where he kept some of his stuff. It felt real and unforced. no hand-holding either.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

For all its many faults (spoiler alert: it had a ****load of faults), Oblivion had some really cool quests.

A painter has gone missing? Dude's trapped inside his own magic painting. Get in there and start killing the monsters someone painted in there with turpentine.

A merchant hasn't returned from a visit to a nearby village? Time to investigate a crazy Shadow Over Innsmouth-type cult and rescue her under cover of darkness.

Hey man, come help me find this magic axe in these ruins! Hah, just kidding, these ruins are actually used by rich people who hunt adventurers for sport. Start running.

Of course, it also had terrible "kill ten fish and take their scales" quests and didn't handle its "spy on person" quests all that well, but****whatever.

Dragon Age: Origins. The Fort Drakon rescue mission.

You where thrown into the gaol and two of your henchmen would have to save the day, at first without your help. It was hilarious!

And if your companion´s subterfuge skills where full of fail, they could always resort to violence.

The Fort Drakon rescue mission had tons or replay value, because every npc team would try a different ruse on the guards.

Is "gaol" the standard English spelling in Germany/Europe? In North America at least, it pretty much only ever comes up in fantasy fiction.

• Like 2
jcod0.png

the last quest I did that really floored me was in fonv. It was the one where u was hiring prostitues for wrangler and being a very low speech and barter person, it seemed everyone I could recruit had a way besides a speech check to get them to take the job except for the ghoul. The ghoul it seemed could only be recruited if u passed a speech or a barter check so me not using magazines to "cheat", that quest got left hanging for awhile. One day after I had ransacked a bar of its finer drinks, I came across her to see if I could find another way. Surprise there was, she noticed I had a bottle of absintine and by using that I was able to recruit her. I was floored because there was no indication or outright suggestions that option was even available. I know its such a small thing, but that level of quality and detail was what made me back them for the project.

Right now im doing a fullrun thru morrowind, and is it sad that ive enjoyed and found each quest to actually fit and make sense? That even the fetch quests actually had a purpose? So far really shocked at bethesdas quality in this game, I wonder why that level of quality is disappearing rapidly from their recent games. Its almost like comparing da:o with da2 that has actual different levels instead of one huve reused one.

Hard for me to pick one, but I love it when there is room for the player to really consider his options instead of just following directions.

Reminds me, there was one really neat quest in Skyrim, where if you had fallen to just follow the quest arrow syndrome,

you'd end up in a wtf I just helped to murder and eat a priest??! You could alter your quest at any point,

but there was no obvious "now choose" indication there was an option.

One of my favorite Quests in an RPG was Shadow over Hackdirt in Oblivion ... it was a decent quest and had the nice homage to HP Lovecraft ... the only thing is I would have loved to have slain a Shoggoth or something but the quest was great even without that :biggrin:

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” ― Robert E. Howard

:)

My favorite quest has to be Naked Snake's personal,unwritten quest to eat every animal he could find in MGS3.

In actuality though the Handmaiden "quests" in Kotor 2 where you spar with her, it had some pretty cool rewards, and made her one of my favorite characters in that game.

"Six bullets. More than enough to kill anything that moves."

"Simon! Let's see you grit those teeth!"

Neverwinter Nights' Official Campaign was a huge disappointment for me except for that one quest in Charwood called Village of Eternal Night. Really awesome writing and atmosphere in that one.

Other quests that come to mind are VTM:B's Haunted Hotel quest, and the Snuff Video one. BG2's Tests of Hell were great.

Also, not much of a quest but more like a chain of events that you can trigger in Dark Souls' regarding Knight Lautrec.

I guess I really like investigation quests with a hint of horror, or ones that offer choices with different outcomes.

Edited by TheMake
  • Like 4

Difficult to pick a favourite, so am going to go for the one that still makes me laugh: clearing the well in Fallout 2! I was still pretty new to PC games, and after I stopped laughing just couldn't believe that the game had done something so unexpected with such a visual result. My first reaction was "Oh crap, maybe me and Sulik need to start running because the townfolk arn't gonna like this".

I know we've since had shadow realms, demon zones, etc, but give me a poop covered town anyday.

I think Fallout 2 had a number of awesome quests, mostly because a lot of them could be approached from many different ways.

Edit: I also really enjoyed the quest in KOTOR1 where you had to figure out a murder, although it has little replay value. (maybe if they have a quest like this in PE they could make it variable by play-through, so that the answer isn't set in stone when you begin.)

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Strangely quests in my favourite rpgs somehow merged into one general impression in my head.

Still if I think more about it I remember trial from NWN2. A lot of skill checks (those [???] made it even better), good dialogs, feel of investigation. Liked it.

I like collecting clues and investigations. I loved the courtroom scene in NWN 2 which allowed my bard to use his diplomacy/perform skills. I otherwise love quests that allow me to prepare and decide on tactics, to choose an approach in which I would like to tackle them.

I loved the "Glow" quest from original Fallout. It required preparation and was rather eerie. I was more frightened of radiation, the unseen enemy, than I would have been of hordes of Super Mutants. :)

The main quest in the Underdark part of BG2. So many options to progress through the story! Alternatively, Vault 11 from F:NV was awesome in the sense that it was legitimately terrifying.

Is that the vault where

people were running campaigns not to get elected as overseer since it meant sacrificing their life, so that the rest of the vault wouldn't be gassed? I loved that vault.

My favorite location in the entire game.