Let's Fight --- a discussion of combat styles

Yes, this is a fantasy game, but it's one for adults so let's limit just how far we stretch the credulity of the players. Dual wielding two-handed swords or polearms? :yucky:

In Arcanum I wished that half ogres could dual wield, since they couldn't use many guns

For me I'd think Dual Wielding would be best served as non-long weapon in primary hand, small weapon (dagger equiv) in the off-hand and that's it. I don't need to dual weild flails(*) or halberds...That said, I'd be happy to not have dual weilding at all too.

*I'd imagine that would be quite the feat, to be honest.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just *once* I'd like an RPG to let me use a shield-and-spear combo.

One of the world's oldest and most successful styles of infantry combat and RPGs never let you use it because of some arbitrary requirement that all spears be two-handed longspears.

Titan Quest :p

I've had a go at almost all styles but usually end up with sword and shield because there seems to be a thousand good longswords in every game and only two or three decent other weapons. Hopefully PE will balance out the weapon types so there is more decent quality maces/great axes/short spears/flintlock rifles etc (or less good quality swords). so it's worth trying different styles.

For me I'd think Dual Wielding would be best served as non-long weapon in primary hand, small weapon (dagger equiv) in the off-hand and that's it. I don't need to dual weild flails(*) or halberds...That said, I'd be happy to not have dual weilding at all too.

*I'd imagine that would be quite the feat, to be honest.

If they were to implement minimum strength requirements for weapons (with a penalty for being under), then put in a significant strength penalty for the off-hand weapon, I think that would balance things out.

Things like Monkey-grip should be toned way down, such as limiting it to weapon and shield only with a penalty to attack.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

One of the world's oldest and most successful styles of infantry combat and RPGs never let you use it because of some arbitrary requirement that all spears be two-handed longspears.

Just once I'd like spears to be good weapons. It seems like the few games that include them tend to underpower them.

Titan Quest :p

If you count titan quest as an RPG then diablo 2 as well

and mount and blade

Sabre and pistol is what I'd go for. Preferably an enchanted self reloading flintlock, accompanied, naturally, by top hat and monocle for all discerning posh imperialists everywhere.

An elegant fighting style, for a more civilised age. Elegant for me, anyway. Not so much for all the bloodied corpses.

`This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!` - God Emperor of Didcot by Toby Frost.

Depends completely on the character I create, prefer to mix it up as much as possible between playthroughs and with my party members. (I simply cannot play Minsc without a two-handed sword)

But the most frequent are dual wielding, two handed weapons & ranged weapons I guess.